Hello Gmc!
Kaaba
Dec 27 2014, 11:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
Greetings from Finland!
Just wanted to introduce myself and thank you for this awesome website. smile.gif
My name is Karri and im 21 years old. I got my first guitar when I was 14 but really got into playing a few years ago.
Im playing in a metal band at the moment, where im the only guitarist.

First day I found gmc, I just browsed through and listened to the stuff that you guys play, they were so incredible that I knew that I found the right place for me. Ive decided to do everything that I need to become professional musician, it will take more than a while but I know that I will get there some day. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 28 2014, 01:12 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Great photo and guitar man - welcome to GMC! smile.gif

It is really good that you have your goals set and working towards achieving them.
I'm curious to know how would you define a professional musician from your perspective? If you try the "impossible" and make up a small list of professional musician traits, you could use it as short term goals list (for example : finding good tone, getting control over vibrato etc) and work towards achieving those goals step by step.

Are there maybe videos on Youtube of your band available?

BTW - just hanging around musicians will help a lot and you'll catch upon many cool details and things. I really feel it has and still helps me learn heaps of stuff "passively", even without the instrument in my hands, so see you around the forum wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Kaaba
Dec 28 2014, 02:32 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 28 2014, 12:12 AM) *
Great photo and guitar man - welcome to GMC! smile.gif

It is really good that you have your goals set and working towards achieving them.
I'm curious to know how would you define a professional musician from your perspective? If you try the "impossible" and make up a small list of professional musician traits, you could use it as short term goals list (for example : finding good tone, getting control over vibrato etc) and work towards achieving those goals step by step.

Are there maybe videos on Youtube of your band available?

BTW - just hanging around musicians will help a lot and you'll catch upon many cool details and things. I really feel it has and still helps me learn heaps of stuff "passively", even without the instrument in my hands, so see you around the forum wink.gif

Thank you! smile.gif

I began thinking of how I would define being professional, and the simplest answer I came up with would be making living from different sources(giving lessons/ gigging/ freelancing etc). Since theres lots of stuff to learn, I was thinking on focusing on my technique for now. smile.gif

And heres a small list of techniques that I came up with:

- Since im using mostly economy picking, learning better alternative picking wouldnt hurt
- Various vibratos
- Various bends and pre-bends
- Clean picking and legato technique in low/mid/high tempos
- Using picking dynamics

There are videos on youtube of my first and second gig ever (Kaaba69 is my usename there), but theyre quite embarassing heh. smile.gif
On monday im going to contact music stores and studios trying to get internship (dont know if thats the word), which would be so helpful for learning stuff about industry and then I would be able to hang out with good musicians.
Also about a week ago I left a post on one finnish music website where Im looking for guitarists to jam and hang out with, it would be great to do some jams with other guitarists since im the only one in our band.

I hope that my english makes any sense, and im very happy to hear any tips that would improve my playing. smile.gif

Ill also add one demo to this post, that I recorded about a week ago. I tested how well I could play real drums after jamming alot of guitar hero, also its the first time I did screaming vocals. biggrin.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Ra__ssia__.mp3 ( 4.79MB ) Number of downloads: 98

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 28 2014, 10:33 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hi and welcome to GMC! I'm sure you will have a great time here and definitely you will love this place! smile.gif
I saw in your YT channel (hope there are not 2 with Kaaba69 biggrin.gif ) some Pantera covers. I can say that you will fit very good with our instructor Cosmin. Beside his main band, Cosmin also play in a Pantera cover band. I'm sure he will be happy to gives you some tips and tricks wink.gif
See you around the forum and I hope you will join in our collabs smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 28 2014, 02:39 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
- Since im using mostly economy picking, learning better alternative picking wouldnt hurt
- Various vibratos
- Various bends and pre-bends
- Clean picking and legato technique in low/mid/high tempos
- Using picking dynamics

This is a very good list and it hits a lot of important aspects which in my opinion make up a "professional guitarist". These techniques lead to more expressive playing and control over details which make a lot of difference in performance. I think you should incorporate these topics in your practice routine, you can search for those terms to find lessons you like and practice them. I'd suggest finding one lesson you like and submitting a REC take, just so that you can get reference where you are standing with your current playing/level. More info about GMC REC program here.

I think a great practice for those above would be to play a completely different style than what you are used to (metal?). For example, try tackling a blues or pop rock lesson which features expressive guitar playing. Even though you might not play that style with your band, it will allow you to unlock a completely new dimension in your playing.

Besides what you mentioned (internship), I'd also suggest hanging around the forum as we have a lot of experienced musicians lurking the boards smile.gif Start a new topic and post if you have thoughts or questions on any topic and we'll discuss it in more details.

Thanks for sharing the audio track, I think you have very nice timing and tight playing. Did you play the drums? Really impressive if your only experience was playing drums on Guitar Hero smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 28 2014, 06:16 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Welcome to the family Karri..

Enjoy the journey and prepare to improve wink.gif

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 28 2014, 07:57 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! Wellcome to the site. Thanx for Your kind words - yes it is a special place - not just a tab and licks source but a full care from instructors and more experienced students as well smile.gif Nice sample - I think some pure metal fans would love it smile.gif If You need any help on alternate picking do not hesitate to go through some of my alternate picking lessons and a one huge workshop here:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...Picking-Basics/

You'll need more than hour to go through it but |You'll might dins some usefull tips since it is not a typical lesson You'll probably used to see smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 28 2014, 09:14 PM
GMC Founder
Welcome to GMC Kaaba! biggrin.gif

You have already got some good advice.

Another thing that can help you speed up learning, is if you can identify the 1-2 biggest problem areas. Basically what you perceive as the biggest problems with your playing/musical journey. It can be anything, examples: not enough inspiration to write songs, technical progress to slow, legato technique not working etc.

Usually we have a few of these, and not only might we be able to help you overcome these problems. But by identifying them and discussing them, we can identify other problem areas which might be the real root of the problem(s) you experience - although you do not realize it at this stage. And if this is the case, you are guaranteed a substantial bump in learning pace smile.gif

A lot of people seek instructional help just to get a second opinion and some new perspective. Btw here is a video I recorded on a similar topic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kaaba
Dec 28 2014, 11:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thank you everyone for your responses, I know that im in the right place now. smile.gif

On my tonights to-do list will be submitting REC take for reference, completing Darius Waves workshop and getting more in-dept with my problem areas in playing.

I was thinking of submitting several REC takes on my problem area techniques and since I have so much to learn, Ive probably missed some obvious mistakes that im making.

Great video Kristofer, for sure there are many reasons why I picked up the guitar, it got me thinking and the biggest reason is expressing my feelings and emotions through music (Currently mostly frustration into agressive riffs, with enough practice I would love to be able to handle more positive emotions through beautiful solos).

I will for sure check out variety of lessons here, in all the genres possible, and hopefully adapt ideas into my own playing. smile.gif

Do you have any recommendations on what lessons should I REC? In soloing my current skill level would be something like Marcus Lavendells Neoclassical Etude #1 at 120bpm. I also have lot to learn on bending, so I was thinking of Muris Varajic's Beginner solo in D. I will happily record anything you need to hear!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 28 2014, 11:28 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Kaaba @ Dec 28 2014, 11:03 PM) *
Do you have any recommendations on what lessons should I REC? In soloing my current skill level would be something like Marcus Lavendells Neoclassical Etude #1 at 120bpm. I also have lot to learn on bending, so I was thinking of Muris Varajic's Beginner solo in D. I will happily record anything you need to hear!

My general advice is to REC the lessons you prefer the sound of. Though you can get recommendations (from me and others) practicing your favorite lessons has several advantages, as you will be much more inclined to practice the lesson thoroughly and possibly even re-learn parts of it once you have gotten feedback.

Also, the #1 rule is to do whatever keeps you inspired. Because in the end what really matters, is the amount of hours you have spent playing music!

QUOTE (Kaaba @ Dec 28 2014, 11:03 PM) *
Great video Kristofer, for sure there are many reasons why I picked up the guitar, it got me thinking and the biggest reason is expressing my feelings and emotions through music (Currently mostly frustration into agressive riffs, with enough practice I would love to be able to handle more positive emotions through beautiful solos).

Cool, we're in the same boat then. Nothing beats channeling my emotions (whether positive or negative) through the guitar! wub.gif It's the multi tool of the century!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kaaba
Dec 29 2014, 06:27 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 28 2014, 06:57 PM) *
If You need any help on alternate picking do not hesitate to go through some of my alternate picking lessons and a one huge workshop here:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...Picking-Basics/

You'll need more than hour to go through it but |You'll might dins some usefull tips since it is not a typical lesson You'll probably used to see smile.gif

Thank you so much for that workshop! Ive always just went with the most natural feeling techniques (being mostly self-taught), and watching the video got me into so many more options, from which I will for sure find the best ones for myself smile.gif

Did a few REC's and now Im working on Ben's Land of Legato 2 smile.gif
Would really appreciate all of your constructive feedback on them!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 29 2014, 09:48 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif

Welcome to GMC! I noticed the guitar in the picture and I will daresay hello to you, fellow Dimebag fan biggrin.gif

I noticed your takes in the REC Zone, so since everyone gave great suggestions in here, I will head to the recordings and comment dirrectly there.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 29 2014, 01:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kaaba @ Dec 29 2014, 05:27 AM) *
Thank you so much for that workshop! Ive always just went with the most natural feeling techniques (being mostly self-taught), and watching the video got me into so many more options, from which I will for sure find the best ones for myself smile.gif

Did a few REC's and now Im working on Ben's Land of Legato 2 smile.gif
Would really appreciate all of your constructive feedback on them!

You'rer welcome. We're here to help smile.gif As You've seen picking topic is very wide and keeps a lot of questions- the more we know, the more we wonder how to smile.gif I think best answer about the REC lessons is from Kris - simply choose what You like. Otherwise doing things just becuse might took away some of the interest in practicing smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 29 2014, 09:08 PM
GMC Founder
I saw these RECs and I am going to post my general impressions:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=53606
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=53607

The #1 thing that will make you sound more pro is a better and more elaborate vibrato. See how the different instructors apply vibrato depending of where they are on the guitar neck. Try to decide whose vibrato you prefer (as a starting point) and then try to emulate that instructors' exact hand/arm movement.

Secondly, you should try to find a sound with less distortion that you think sounds good/ok - aka a more "dynamic" sound. It will feel very uncomfortable at start, but in the long run it will force you take care of details in your playing (such as control of dynamics, hands sync etc). Nailing all those details is an absolute necessity to sound pro. If you keep playing with a highly distorted sound, you will most likely never realize you have got such subtle issues to work on - and you will not make huge of the fantastic expression potential of the electric guitar.

Technique wise you have already come a long way, I would advise you let technique rest/mature a little bit while you focus on tone and vibrato. (of course you can always turn on that metronome when no one notices wink.gif ) I know it sounds strange, but by getting a better tone/vibrato everyone will automatically perceive your fast runs as much cooler. In fact, they will probably even be perceived as faster. Speed is relative and in the eye of the beholder.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kaaba
Dec 30 2014, 12:44 AM
Learning Rock Star
Huge thanks to all of the feedback on my REC's!

I will work on finding a good tone with less distortion, it has always been a problem for me, since ive usually just cranked up the gain and started jamming tongue.gif

Do you have any suggestions for lessons/courses/workshops about vibrato?
Based on great feedback, I was thinking of changing my practise routine to focus on vibrato/bending and since I have lots of time to play guitar at this time, I will also focus on outside picking, which I realised, is definitely the biggest problem on my alternative picking.

Thanks again!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 30 2014, 11:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kaaba @ Dec 29 2014, 11:44 PM) *
Huge thanks to all of the feedback on my REC's!

I will work on finding a good tone with less distortion, it has always been a problem for me, since ive usually just cranked up the gain and started jamming tongue.gif

Do you have any suggestions for lessons/courses/workshops about vibrato?
Based on great feedback, I was thinking of changing my practise routine to focus on vibrato/bending and since I have lots of time to play guitar at this time, I will also focus on outside picking, which I realised, is definitely the biggest problem on my alternative picking.

Thanks again!

Hey buddy smile.gif Step by step, if you are curious and hard working, you will definitely evolve! Now, about the gain, yes, try to find a setting in which you will have enough gain to sound mean but also defined and expressive.

I would like to recommend Ben Higgins' 'Vibrato Oddyssey' series, starting with this one:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/

It focuses on the basic vibrato bending/vibrato movements and it will prove itself very useful as a basis on which you can build afterwards. The other lessons in the series, involve other phrasing elements, most likely proving themselves a bit more difficult, so start with this one in order to make sure that you will get as close as possible to mastering the pure technique.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:20 AM