Pedal Advice (distortion & Delay)
bgrossbe
May 18 2011, 08:18 AM
GMC:er
Hi gang,

I need new both a new distortion and delay pedal for my setup.

Currently I am playing a

G&L S-500 Tribute > Decimator Noise Gate > Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah > Xotic BB Plus Overdrive > Fender Hotrod Deluxe

I had been playing in a classic rock cover band, and my setup worked great for that.

But now I am moving into a more progressive rock/metal project, and I need to be able to broaden my range of sounds. I know my setup isn't ideal for metal sounds, but the band is going to be pretty diverse. I'll be adding an MIJ Ibanez at some point in the next few months, so that will give me a humbucking option. But I'll be stuck with the amp for a while.

As for distortion, I can stick with BB and drive channels of the amp for all of my overdrive tones, so I really just need something that will give me a good metal distortion sound. I like doing a fair amount of tight, palm muted riffing on the bridge pickup, so I don't want anything that's gonna sound too loose. But I also play lots of lead. I would prefer something that could give me a power metal tone. I'm particularly fond of the smooth-but-tight muted riffing tones on the Avantasia Metal Opera albums. Not really interested in any extreme metal tones.

I've been leaning heavily toward a Metal Muff, but I thought I would get a second opinion. I'm wondering if I should instead go for something with a tube in it.

As for delay pedals, I am really just looking for a classic David Gilmour style acid-drenched melting guitar lines sound that I can couple with my overdrive and single coils for some Pink Floyd / Ayreon / Eloy sounding lead passages.

My total budget is from $200-$400 for both pedals combined. I would prefer to be on the lower end of the budget, if possible. I am looking forward to any advice you guys might have.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:07 AM