2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Hateful Music
maqhem
Jul 8 2010, 04:35 PM
GMC:er
Hi there smile.gif

I just joined this site a few days ago, and hoooolyyyy woooow! It's incredible! There's just so many useful lossons and about a ton of videos that I can't meet and surely never will be able to.

So I just thought I'd make my first post in the forum smile.gif

As you all might have guessed by now, I like playing guitar, but I'm not very good at it. I got my first guitar (Virgo from B. C. Rich) in January, so I'm not very experience yet. But hopefully I'll some day get so good at it that I can even ne day join you instructors here. See THAT would be cool!

The topic says "hateful music", which is what I'd like to disguss, and for you being a little confused right now, let me explain:

Hateful music is metal, but not all metal in general, actually it's only some very specific genres.
Mainly when I think of hateful music, I think of Death Metal (plus sub-genres like Brutal Death Metal, Technical Death Metal, Death/Doom Metal, Blackened Death Metal, Deathcore, Melodic Death Metal...) and Black Metal (plus sub-genres like Depressive Black Metal, Raw Black Metal, Black/Death Metal, Symphonic/Atmospheric/Melodic Black Metal, Unblack Metal, ...).
What I definately do NOT think of as hateful music is anything like Thrash Metal, Progressive Metal, Power Metal, Gothic Metal, NU Metal, Folk Metal, and so on.

Don't get me wrong, I do like a few some genres and sub-genres that are not what I define as hateful, but this topic is just about the most extreme ones, if you get me smile.gif

Now for the point of this whole thing:
I'm a beginner, and I'd love to get good at playing guitar. Where do you think I should start when I say I don't want to play pop, rock, jazz, blues, or anything like that? Let's keep it extreme and hateful wink.gif
Of course I know I shouldn't start at Level 4 or something, since I can't even meet the Level 2 yet. So, which exercises would you recommend me to have a look at at first?

Oh, and one extra thing: if I put my left hand in the position as if I was holding it on the fretboard and spread my fingers just a little, my little finger isn't going vertically anymore, it's going more diagonal! What can I do about that? It's really annoying, and it keeps me from being able to do all the finger exercises.
What can I do? Please help me.

Thanks! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Jul 8 2010, 06:03 PM
Instructor
Nice intro man! Welcome to GMC & have lot of fun here!! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 8 2010, 06:28 PM
There is nothing wrong with hateful music, PROVIDED that it is upbeat, cheerful, happy hateful music.

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Jul 8 2010, 06:59 PM
Instructor
welcome to the site man. great selection of music wink.gif
you'll find your way here!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 8 2010, 07:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
Welcome. Are you able to upload a video of your playing so we can see better what you mean by your little finger shooting off diagonally?

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Karl-ss
Jul 8 2010, 07:19 PM
Hmm Dude I suggest you check out the band Devourment. They are a slam death band. i think you could learn their song babykiller pretty easily. Oh and prostitute disfigurement - She is not coming home tonight (I have tabs. Just Msg me if you want them) Hell maybe you even could master Open face surgery by cryptopsy.

If you want I could get you a list of extreme metal bands to check out as I know several who have songs that arent too hard to play.

This post has been edited by Karl-ss: Jul 8 2010, 07:21 PM

--------------------
METAL UP YOURS!

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 8 2010, 08:29 PM
Welcome to GMC, glad ya enjoying it, need to add a lot of feeling and style into that type of music! cool.gif

For your finger issue,

I would suggest checking the back of the fretting (left) hand first, when positioning your fingers ensure the thumb is upright support the back of the neck between the first and second fingers almost the middle, you will get more finger stretch. When bending, etc, take it up and over the top on an angle like holding a baseball bat, you get more control and your fingers angle more and less stretch. That's the two ways you should have your thumb and should switch between them when playing, depending on what your playing.

Make sure you are just using your finger tips, the index and pinkie will tend to angle inwards a bit at first, finger stretchs can help that.

Ensure your sitting up correctly not bending over the guitar, also if you need more access to the high notes, try playing with the guitar on your left leg in the middle rather than on the right leg. I noticed some professionals and instructors doing it this way, followed and found it gives a lot more access to your fretting hand even on the very high notes and if you also play standing the guitar is pretty much in the same position.

Practice with a finger locked on the fretboard, helped me a lot to get the finger working separately from each other rather than glued. Start with your pinkie, locked to the fourth fret on the thrid string and simply try play the scale 1,2,3 frets on all the other strings with your remaining fingers. It's hard at first to do it correctly and smooth, do it slowly and control them from flicking up, keep them as close as possible! Repeat with a different finger locked, like the thrid on the thrid fret, etc.

Remember if it's already done it, it's too late, correct the mistake before it happens, else your fingers will learn that way and develop bad habits. They take some time and practice to break.

Good Luck!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jul 8 2010, 08:36 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
JamesT
Jul 8 2010, 08:43 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
In the beginning I used to remind myself to always keep my pinky just a little bent, even when not using it. Now I don't even have to think about it. cool.gif

Can't comment on the hateful music part. I hate it. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by JamesT: Jul 8 2010, 08:44 PM

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 8 2010, 08:58 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Welcome aboard! Cool introduction smile.gif

If you are into metal, definitely check Lian Gerbino's lessons, among others!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 9 2010, 12:06 AM
Learning Roadie
Welcome! I'm not really a metalhead - I like hard rock more, only some metal - not really screaming stuff. wink.gif

+Quote Post
maqhem
Jul 9 2010, 12:37 AM
Everyone, THANKS for your replies!! I appreciate it a lot! I was away for some hours, and then there's like a million replies - GREAT! Something to work on!
I'll just quickly run through all of them to answer all of you smile.gif

@Stephane Lucarelli
Thanks, man! ^^ It's great being here, and thanks again smile.gif
I believe this site has got something special I just need.

@fkalich
You are so right! Music has got to make you happy, that's what it's there for smile.gif
Except a few depressive black metal bands, of course, that just want you to go kill youself or something like that, but these bands are fortunately rare! Besides, music can only - no matter of its genre - bring me up, except I'm really having a bad time. But that doesn't happen very often, and even when it happens, most of the music I listen to actually makes me happy again ^^
And that's the kind of music I want to make!

@Lian Gerbino
Thank you for your reception, and thanks on the complement on my selecticion of music!! biggrin.gif
Yes, I think I'll find my way here, too ^^
I've seen a couple of your videos, they're amazing. You are truely metal! Now, go make some more videos! Haha, sorry, couldn't resist wink.gif But people like me enjoy them very much, just as much as we need them.

@SirJamsalot
I see Azzaboi has already answered my question about my weird little finger. But if I still can't figure it out, I'll upload a vide and post it for you guys to look at smile.gif

@Karl-ss
Oh I already know of Devourment, it's pure awesomeness, if there's even a word like that wink.gif I'm definately going to check out that song and the tabs for it!
Then you mention Prostiture Disfigurement. I know of them as well, they're evil! I'll have a look at it. And the same goes for the last song you mentioned by Cryptopsy smile.gif
Oh yes, please, such a list would be epic. Could you just post it on the forum? That'd be awesome smile.gif

@Azzaboi
Thanks to you, too, for welcoming me smile.gif
I just tried what you described at first, and it seemed to work a little. But it really gets a bit problem when I'm trying to stretch my fingers to hit both fret #2 and fret #5. I can see that just the little thing about the thumb does help, so I'll keep doing this until my little finger i in the right place smile.gif
Then you write something about my position - I'll try that.
About that little exercise you're talking about... Well, believe that'll be a great exercise for me, acually. I'm gonna try it soon.
And yes, I'll sure try and develop anything but bad habbits! I'll give all what you just wrote an honest chance, and I'll get back if it doesn't work smile.gif Thanks!

@JamesT
Well, it just sounds like I'll have to practice and develop good habbits as mentioned above smile.gif
Haha, well, not very many people like the music being hateful wink.gif Well, what can I say? I just picked that as my favorite kind of music since it makes me happy - I guess that's the most important thing of all about music smile.gif

@Fran
Thanks, captain! I did my best with that introduction ^^
Yeah, I've seen a few metal videos here - all of those I've seen have been incredibly amazing. The video lessons really makes me want to play guitar 24/7 biggrin.gif

@thefireball
Thank you biggrin.gif
Oh, you don't like it insane just as me, haha ^^ Well, i can't blame you, this style of music rare among normal people wink.gif
But I guess I'm more like a creature or something then... Hehe.

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jul 9 2010, 03:28 AM
Instructor
welcome brother!! would be cool to see a video of you playing to help you with that little finger!
and i'm not a metalhead but in order to get there you have to start on the basics a little bit, maybe you can frustrated starting at a high level.

i personally recommend this lesson (and yeah it is mine) ti fine tune your rhythmic playing, it is not metal but it will help you im pretty sure:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Rock-Rhythm-Variations/

rhythm is VERY important in metal, that is a great starting point and then go to leads, just my 2 cents!
welcome again!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
maqhem
Jul 9 2010, 03:59 AM
@Adrian Figallo
Thank you!! You know what? I tried earlier to do exactly what Azzaboi told me to do, and now I'm having no problems at all! So I guess I was just holding on the fretboard in a wrong way smile.gif
Still I'm having some problems with my little finger, though: it's not as long as I could have wished for, haha, but I guess that's something I'll have to learn to live with wink.gif
And yes, you're right. I'll have to start in the very beginning, so I do. At the moment do some finger strength and streching exercises to get especially my little finger and ring finger to work the way I want them to, like the Finger Independence video series. And from that video (the first one) I've also made some exercises myself that I find really useful. And when I'm comfortable with alternate picking and finger-on-fret-board changing, I'll go on and see if I can meet some of the other beginner videos smile.gif
Thank you for the link, by the way. It's not metal, no, but what beginner exercise is metal? I guess just about 0.00%. I've just watched it, and I'm definately going to see if I can do it just as precise as you - or, at least, just close to. Thanks again!
Yes, I do believe you when you say rhythm is very important in metal. I believe it is in all genres, though wink.gif
So overall: Thanks, man. I appreciate that you're trying to help me smile.gif

+Quote Post
CathShadow
Jul 9 2010, 08:16 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey man, welcome to GMC!!

Love this community!

Cool to see you sorted that problem out! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jul 9 2010, 10:06 PM
Jazz Instructor
Welcome mate! Yeah, there is quite a lot of high-quality material... I hope you will improve your skills here! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 10 2010, 02:43 AM
Glad it helped out, if you do hammer ons and pull offs exercises with all fingers including the pinkie, it should strengthen over time.

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 11 2010, 08:33 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Welcome to GMC!
As Fran aloready said, I suggest you start with Lian's lessons, he's got awesome metal lessons and quite afew that are suitable for beginners.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 11 2010, 12:46 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
You've got many awesome tips already. I would add - try recording a video of your playing and posting in the forum for comments. You want to learn usual stuff - techniques exercises (picking, , bending, fretting, vibrato, etc etc) + work on theory (scales, improvising, chords)... I would also like to add that you should not stay away from rock/pop/jazz/blues lessons if you are only interested in "hateful music". Its always best to mix styles and it can be bad if you just stick to the one and ignore all the other.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 14 2010, 10:27 PM
Instructor
Welcome aboard man! smile.gif

I'm not sure about the pinky issue. If you have a webcam, post a screenshot so we can see what's going on.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
maqhem
Jul 19 2010, 08:19 PM
Hey guys smile.gif

I just want to add that I've taken all your good advice with me in the learning process. I'm practicing every day just to get the position of the guitar and my fretting hand right so I don't feel pain and yet still be able to hit the low E string with all of my fingers. The hard part comes when I try to stretch over more than just four frets, and I find myself completely unable to stretch my little finger just a half tone (one fret) higher, but that's only on the very lowest frets. Anyway, I've been reading and reading (oh, did I mention reading?) and I've found out that all scales can be played only by covering five frets on the fretboard, so I find it unnecessary to practice stretching my little finger smile.gif At least for now.
1-2-3-4 on the low E string (and keep all fingers on the fret), I'm not having any problems. The issue is when I do 1-3-4-5 instead, because then I'll have to bend my wrist, and that is where the pain comes. But I'm working on it smile.gif

Thank you all again.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:08 PM