2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Les Paul - Tuned To B - Need To Bend Still, What strings do you recommend?
Marcus Siepen
Oct 9 2008, 11:01 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I would definitely go for thick strings with this tuning, otherwise the strings will get very sloppy. I would go for 13's for sure.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 9 2008, 12:29 PM
GMC:er
Well I got the strings on last night while watching the World Series of Poker.

Besides cutting the high E too short and ruining it (and thus having to throw an .11 on there from a set of 9's I had laying around) it went fine.

Stretch, tune, stretch, tune, stretch, tune......

Intonate.

Stretch, tune, stretch, tune, stretch, tune.

This morning I checked it and it stayed in tune overnight so I should be good to go.

What little playing I did on it while tuning felt good.

I think this size will do me ok.

I still need to plug in and give it hell though.

But not now... Now I have to go to work. sad.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 9 2008, 01:25 PM
One more question:

With these strings on the guitar, the 6th and 5th do not fit in the nut. Is this going to be a problem? They sit on the groove but not down in it.

If I somehow alter the nut so they fit better will it cause trouble if I ever go back to a thinner string?

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Oct 9 2008, 01:44 PM
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Oct 9 2008, 11:01 AM) *
I would definitely go for thick strings with this tuning, otherwise the strings will get very sloppy. I would go for 13's for sure.

Yea that's pretty low, I've also noticed that once you go to B and below, you're not playing a guitar anymore, it's like playing a baritone. But I agree with Marcus here, I wouldn't dare to go lighter than 13-56 for fear of sloppiness, and at B it should be plenty bendy.

But if lighter strings tend to work for you, you can try 12's. A 60 would actually be a little too thick for my taste, sometimes when the low strings are too thick the sound can get woofy, and lack crunch, but try stuff out and find what's best for you.

And yea, you may have to make some augmentations to the nut with a gauge that big, I'm no expert on that kinda stuff tho.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Noangels
Oct 9 2008, 09:07 PM
QUOTE (jer @ Oct 9 2008, 01:25 PM) *
One more question:

With these strings on the guitar, the 6th and 5th do not fit in the nut. Is this going to be a problem? They sit on the groove but not down in it.

If I somehow alter the nut so they fit better will it cause trouble if I ever go back to a thinner string?

Bingo!

thats the problem I had putting Fat strings on my Parker/LP and strat-they didnt fit in the groove at all on those strings!And raised the action a lot on the 1st few frets!I didnt want to alter the nut so............................

I restrung them with normal gauge strings and then set up my Jackson SL1 with the same fat strings in drop C-

Mind you the bass strings must be realy fat,like cable wires!I didnt even think about my guitar nuts when I restrung them I could have saved myself a lot of hassle by looking at the nut 1st!

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Oct 9 2008, 10:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (RIP Dime @ Oct 9 2008, 02:44 PM) *
Yea that's pretty low, I've also noticed that once you go to B and below, you're not playing a guitar anymore, it's like playing a baritone. But I agree with Marcus here, I wouldn't dare to go lighter than 13-56 for fear of sloppiness, and at B it should be plenty bendy.

But if lighter strings tend to work for you, you can try 12's. A 60 would actually be a little too thick for my taste, sometimes when the low strings are too thick the sound can get woofy, and lack crunch, but try stuff out and find what's best for you.

And yea, you may have to make some augmentations to the nut with a gauge that big, I'm no expert on that kinda stuff tho.

Totally agree with a .60 an over being to much. Tone on the distortion starts breaking really funny.

QUOTE (jer @ Oct 9 2008, 02:25 PM) *
One more question:

I had the same problem with the thicker strings. So i got the nut on my new ESP horizon
Sorted out. I don't know if leaving it like that will affect the nut but it will definately affect the tuning.
Rather get it setup to be safe:) Not sure if it will cause problems when going back to thinner strings....
that's why i got 2 esp's now, didn't want to find out haha:P

This post has been edited by Ian Bushell: Oct 9 2008, 10:16 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:10 AM