13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Kaznie_NL, Uploads and Discussion
lcsdds
Mar 1 2009, 01:53 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 1 2009, 01:32 PM) *
I have a little question on the Chords for Scales thing. i thing I understand it untill Andrew starts about the modes, because I still have to read that part. But i have a little question on the part before that. Andrew states that you can make several lists of chords in Cmaj (for example) I can make a list of the 'standard' triads, C Dm Em F G Am Bdim. Then Andrew adds some random 7th notes to the chords and makes a new list. Am I right when I say that C, Dm, Em, F , Am and Bdim give the roots and basic structure of all the right chords, and then if you want to have a more bluesy feel, you can add some 7th notes, or if you want a bit of an exclusive sound you add 6th. I mean, are you just free to use them?

Good Job Kazmandu!! Triads are the basic building blocks of all chords. When we add other notes or "extend" them to get different sounds we call them "extended chords". So Cmaj7 is a Cmaj triad and we extend it by adding the major 7th to it, B in this case.

How is the KAZ-BOX work coming? or is it? laugh.gif laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Mar 1 2009, 01:54 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 1 2009, 01:57 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Feb 28 2009, 12:29 PM) *
Hi Kaz,
I am wanting to solo over an A mixolydian chord progression. From reading the posts I did in the main thread can you answer the following questions please?

1) Is this a Major or Minor mode?

2) What is it's scale of comparison to figure out my chord options?

3) What are my diatonic scale options for soloing over this?

4) What are my pentatonic scale options for soloing over this?

Use the chart I gave you to figure these out. Thanks KazMandu. smile.gif

1) Is this a Major or Minor mode?It's Major

2) What is it's scale of comparison to figure out my chord options? Ionian, because it's major right?

3) What are my diatonic scale options for soloing over this?A mixolydian = D Ionian/major so D Major scale and the Amixolydian. Or are those the same?

4) What are my pentatonic scale options for soloing over this? I think that should be Amaj Pentatonic/F#min

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Mar 1 2009, 01:58 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 1 2009, 02:59 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 1 2009, 01:57 PM) *
1) Is this a Major or Minor mode?It's Major

2) What is it's scale of comparison to figure out my chord options? Ionian, because it's major right?

3) What are my diatonic scale options for soloing over this?A mixolydian = D Ionian/major so D Major scale and the Amixolydian. Or are those the same?

4) What are my pentatonic scale options for soloing over this? I think that should be Amaj Pentatonic/F#min

Good Job Kazareeno!!! You got it 100%! Now get back to work with the Kaz-Box so you can breeze through that Luke 32nd and 64th note run!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 1 2009, 07:42 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
So I think I got the exercise tongue.gif It's three files, cause if I change BPM in Reaper, al the click sources change... I started with the 80 BPM and then downwards. G'd luck with em tongue.gif

sorry for the guitar being extremly out of tune wink.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 1 2009, 08:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
YAY! I just played along with muris on the full 65 BPM. Before the run, there's this little pullof thingy. He plays: B string: 15 - 18p17p16p15, where he hangs a bit longer on the 18th fret. Now I hung a lot longer on that fret, that's why I couldn't get the run fast enough, now I can almost play along!

UPDATE:I'm so happy tongue.gif I finally got it!!! Here's the 50 BPM Version (I know the title says 80.. that's a bit optimistic xD)

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Mar 1 2009, 08:24 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 1 2009, 09:00 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 1 2009, 07:42 PM) *
So I think I got the exercise tongue.gif It's three files, cause if I change BPM in Reaper, al the click sources change... I started with the 80 BPM and then downwards. G'd luck with em tongue.gif

sorry for the guitar being extremly out of tune wink.gif

I'm impressed Kazman!! Now all you have to do is work them up to speed. Play it in the 16th and 32nd note phrasing with the Kaz-Box at a few different speeds and then slowly over time work it up to the tempo of the song and then switch it to the 32nd and 64th note phrasing. Good job on the 20 bpm phrasing, that is not easy to do when the tempo is so slow but you nailed it. ROCK THE KAZ-BOX!! smile.gif \m/\m/

If you want more detail on how I would work it up to speed let me know Kaz!! smile.gif

QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 1 2009, 08:23 PM) *
YAY! I just played along with muris on the full 65 BPM. Before the run, there's this little pullof thingy. He plays: B string: 15 - 18p17p16p15, where he hangs a bit longer on the 18th fret. Now I hung a lot longer on that fret, that's why I couldn't get the run fast enough, now I can almost play along!

UPDATE:I'm so happy tongue.gif I finally got it!!! Here's the 50 BPM Version (I know the title says 80.. that's a bit optimistic xD)

Sounded good Kaz!! Tighten up the part I put in the picture and and clean up the tapping lick and you are good to go. Use the Kaz-Box to do this so it sounds tight and in time with the track. If you need my help figuring out how to phrase it with the Kaz-Box let me know.

Good job on your assingment this week. You really surprised me!! smile.gif smile.gif

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Mar 1 2009, 09:01 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 1 2009, 09:22 PM
GMC:er
Sounding good Kaz!

Whats with the crackling on your audio file? Do you have any idea what is causing that?

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 1 2009, 09:30 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Kazmandu what up?

So some dude called me last night claiming to be a guitar virtuoso from the Netherlands...said his name was Marcel Coenen or something like that....Never heard of him myself!! rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

He told me that hew saw the youtube video of you playing Muris's Canon in D on my youtube page and that even though he couldn't see your face he WAS POSITIVE that whoever the GUITAR GOD playing that tune was was Dutch....Said he could tell from the fingers!! tongue.gif

Anyways, he wanted to know if I could get in touch with you and see if you would help him finish a song. He said that he is trying to come up with a song in the key of "A Lydian" and that he was stumped as to how to get it to sound Lydian. He said so far that this was his chord progression:

A major...

He wanted you to reccomend him some chords he could use so that everybody in audience knew that the song was in A Lydian and NOT A Ionian. He also wondered if you could tell him why the triads/chords you reccomend he try in his masterpiece will make the progression sound Lydian and not Ionian.

Get back to me on this if you can KAZ so I can call the dude back. He says he's waiting in the studio and apparently studio time is expensive in the Netherlands. laugh.gif tongue.gif

Thanks Kaz!!

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 1 2009, 11:13 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Kaz check out this thread:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry347187

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 2 2009, 04:56 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jer @ Mar 1 2009, 09:22 PM) *
Sounding good Kaz!

Whats with the crackling on your audio file? Do you have any idea what is causing that?

It's crazy anoying tongue.gif Ivan mentioned he had the same, when he made the buffer to small, but I made it a bit bigger, no result. A bit more bigger.. etc etc.. until it was huge and still the crackle tongue.gif It's a bit less when I record and play guitar, but the backintrack was recorded withouth any guitars through POD farm.

QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 1 2009, 09:30 PM) *
Kazmandu what up?

So some dude called me last night claiming to be a guitar virtuoso from the Netherlands...said his name was Marcel Coenen or something like that....Never heard of him myself!! rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

He told me that hew saw the youtube video of you playing Muris's Canon in D on my youtube page and that even though he couldn't see your face he WAS POSITIVE that whoever the GUITAR GOD playing that tune was was Dutch....Said he could tell from the fingers!! tongue.gif

EDIT: There's still something not clear to me.. Whate ARE the modes? I mean, they're not like box of a scale like in the pentatonic. Because Muris plays his mixolydian solo all over the board. And also, if for instance Amajor scale had several boxes, including the mixolydian, then the mixolydian should have the same notes as the ionian.. so what are they tongue.gif

Anyways, he wanted to know if I could get in touch with you and see if you would help him finish a song. He said that he is trying to come up with a song in the key of "A Lydian" and that he was stumped as to how to get it to sound Lydian. He said so far that this was his chord progression:

A major...

He wanted you to reccomend him some chords he could use so that everybody in audience knew that the song was in A Lydian and NOT A Ionian. He also wondered if you could tell him why the triads/chords you reccomend he try in his masterpiece will make the progression sound Lydian and not Ionian.

Get back to me on this if you can KAZ so I can call the dude back. He says he's waiting in the studio and apparently studio time is expensive in the Netherlands. laugh.gif tongue.gif

Thanks Kaz!!

I think it's time to call him back tongue.gif

The chord progression should be something like: A, A, B, D#dim, Gm, Gm

It's going to be a masterpiece because... Amaj, is in Ionian and in lydian scale but... the rest is only in the lydian scale so not in the ionian one!

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Mar 2 2009, 05:02 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 2 2009, 06:01 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 2 2009, 04:56 PM) *
It's crazy anoying tongue.gif Ivan mentioned he had the same, when he made the buffer to small, but I made it a bit bigger, no result. A bit more bigger.. etc etc.. until it was huge and still the crackle tongue.gif It's a bit less when I record and play guitar, but the backintrack was recorded withouth any guitars through POD farm.

I think it's time to call him back tongue.gif

The chord progression should be something like: A, A, B, D#dim, Gm, Gm

It's going to be a masterpiece because... Amaj, is in Ionian and in lydian scale but... the rest is only in the lydian scale so not in the ionian one!

Good Job Kaz!!! I'll call him today... laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 2 2009, 07:20 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Question: I'm rather confused, what ARE the modes? I know the boxes from pentatonics.. but modes aren't boxes right? otherwise how can muris shred using mixolydian mode over his whole board?

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 2 2009, 07:31 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Modes are a different way of using the Major and Minor scales. Like D lydian for instance. Uses the exact same box shapes as A Ionian. What makes it sound different it the Chord progression you are playing over. So think of D lydian as using A Ionian in a different Mode of operation. Modes mean nothing without chords to play over. wink.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 2 2009, 08:01 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey man, I'm in a hurry, but here's a 50 bPM try on the second run.. it's far from perfect, it's just to show you some progress tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 3 2009, 05:58 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Kaz,
Hey I had an idea to get you guys working on the same lesson. Jer, Dan and Marek are doing Muris's Lydian serial and I thought Outlaw, me and you would do the Phrygian. Are you up for it? You can still work on the luke lesson just alternate days. I practice this way all the time. Good way to get some variety in your practicing. Let me know and I'll send you the Phrygian beginner tab with some notations made by me on it. Thanks KazMan!! smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 3 2009, 07:37 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Well.. It's not to hard wink.gif I'll do it tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 3 2009, 01:37 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 3 2009, 07:37 AM) *
Well.. It's not to hard wink.gif I'll do it tongue.gif

Thanks KazMan!! I'll get you the tab I want you to work off of today. I'm gonna start a thread for this lesson so you, Outlaw and I can post our takes and any questions we might have about the lesson. wink.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 3 2009, 03:53 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 2 2009, 07:31 PM) *
Modes are a different way of using the Major and Minor scales. Like D lydian for instance. Uses the exact same box shapes as A Ionian. What makes it sound different it the Chord progression you are playing over. So think of D lydian as using A Ionian in a different Mode of operation. Modes mean nothing without chords to play over. wink.gif

But then.. what's the use of this xD? Why can't we just use A Ionian over a different bt... Or do I have to see this like Standard Major sclae, standard minor scale, Lydian mode, mixolydian mode, phrygian mode.. etc. like different modes? And there's a nother weird thing.. in the gp5 you gave, we have to learn the Amaj scale, but you can box 1 Ionian and box 2 Lydian (not sure) why is that?they should have the same notes in it....Or is that second box D lydian?? sorry tongue.gif

UPDATE: Ok, just read some Andrew lessons.... I think I got it, not sure though:
We have the Major scale (Ionian mode) and varieties are the other modes. If we want to create the second mode (Dorian right?) we can play the first box of major scale, and ply the note after the root, which is a second degree. That note will be the root and we can play the rest of our Ionian box, but with this root it's actualy a Dorian mode. We can also go to this second note (degree) and use that as the root for the SECOND Ionian box, this gives us the Dorian modea again, but now in it's own pattern. So... that's why the second Ionian box is called Dorian mode tongue.gif is that right? But still, in that second box of the Ionian scale, the root is somewhere else then in the Dorian mode, rigth? Otherwise it would have the same intervals, making it Ionian, not Dorian.

Also the only "real" difference in the modes and the Ionian mode is the possition of the intervals right? So instead of TTSTTTS (2212221) it might become TSTTTST (2122212), so the formula for Minor scale would be...TSTTSTT (212122)...... WHICH is correct xD. I think I start to get this a bit ;P

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Mar 3 2009, 03:53 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 3 2009, 04:17 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 3 2009, 03:53 PM) *
But then.. what's the use of this xD? Why can't we just use A Ionian over a different bt... Or do I have to see this like Standard Major sclae, standard minor scale, Lydian mode, mixolydian mode, phrygian mode.. etc. like different modes? And there's a nother weird thing.. in the gp5 you gave, we have to learn the Amaj scale, but you can box 1 Ionian and box 2 Lydian (not sure) why is that?they should have the same notes in it....Or is that second box D lydian?? sorry tongue.gif

UPDATE: Ok, just read some Andrew lessons.... I think I got it, not sure though:
We have the Major scale (Ionian mode) and varieties are the other modes. If we want to create the second mode (Dorian right?) we can play the first box of major scale, and ply the note after the root, which is a second degree. That note will be the root and we can play the rest of our Ionian box, but with this root it's actualy a Dorian mode. We can also go to this second note (degree) and use that as the root for the SECOND Ionian box, this gives us the Dorian modea again, but now in it's own pattern. So... that's why the second Ionian box is called Dorian mode tongue.gif is that right? But still, in that second box of the Ionian scale, the root is somewhere else then in the Dorian mode, rigth? Otherwise it would have the same intervals, making it Ionian, not Dorian.

Also the only "real" difference in the modes and the Ionian mode is the possition of the intervals right? So instead of TTSTTTS (2212221) it might become TSTTTST (2122212), so the formula for Minor scale would be...TSTTSTT (212122)...... WHICH is correct xD. I think I start to get this a bit ;P

You got it Kaz. Remember that the Dorian mode doesn't become the Dorian mode until you play that mode over A DORIAN CHORD PROGRESSION. If you play any of those boxes without a chord progression you can call it whatever you want.

In the tab... the reason I labeled the boxes Dorian, Phrygian etc., is this:

The Dorian pattern has its starting note on the Low E from the Dorian root in the scale. In the case of the Tab this is "B". Same is true for all the other patterns/boxes.

Secondly, I used the names for reference purposes. So if I say...."Kaz play me the G Dorian Box" you will know what I am talking about.

I could just as easily called them "A major position 1, 2, 3 etc,..

Just because you play the Dorian PATTERN doesn't mean you played the Dorian mode. THE CHORDS BEING SOLOED OVER DETERMINE THE MODE BEING USED.

That is why we are spending so much time trying to figure out how to make the lydian mode sound lydian and not ionian by figuring out what triads/chords are found in lydian and not ionian and focusing on those.

Get it????

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 3 2009, 06:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
yep tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:55 AM