Solfege, Need some help understanding it
Fsgdjv
May 25 2009, 10:07 PM
GMC:er
Hello biggrin.gif

I've started practicing the solfege system pretty recently, right now I can only sing the major scale (Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Ti), and it's nice and all, I just don't know if I'm right about how I think I'm supposed to use it for other scales.

All the syllables chromatically are as far as I understand it: Do Di Re Ri Mi Fa Fi Sol Si La Li Ti. Is that right?

And lets say I want to sing a natural minor scale, would that be Do Re Ri Fa Sol Si Li?

If all that is correct then I think I understand a bit of how it works. But if anyone has some links to something about this I'd love to see them because I haven't found that much on the internet about it apart from wikipedia and some other things.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Fsgdjv: May 25 2009, 10:08 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 25 2009, 10:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ May 25 2009, 11:07 PM) *
All the syllables chromatically are as far as I understand it: Do Di Re Ri Mi Fa Fi Sol Si La Li Ti. Is that right?

And lets say I want to sing a natural minor scale, would that be Do Re Ri(Me) Fa Sol Si(Le) Li(Te)?

Since you started minor version with Do I made corrections using bold. smile.gif

There are few different methods actually
and none of them is wrongs, it's just what works easier for you to understand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solfege

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
May 25 2009, 10:33 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ May 25 2009, 11:25 PM) *
Since you started minor version with Do I made corrections using bold. smile.gif

There are few different methods actually
and none of them is wrongs, it's just what works easier for you to understand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solfege

So then the ones I counted weren't all the syllables? So there are encharmonic syllables aswell, is it really worth learning them? I mean since for example Ri and Ma are the same note, isn't that a waste of practice time? Even though I understand that it's practical to not sing stuff that starts on the same letter after each others.

And also, what is the other method than starting everything on do? Isn't Do always the root? I mean, doesn't it get confusing if you start singning the natural minor scale like La Ti Do Re Mi Fa Sol? Because then you'd not know what the root is when you actually use it in the real world?

I'm sorry, there are lots of questions and I know it seems confusing. I just want to try to learn this properly wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 25 2009, 10:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ May 25 2009, 11:33 PM) *
So then the ones I counted weren't all the syllables? So there are encharmonic syllables aswell, is it really worth learning them? I mean since for example Ri and Ma are the same note, isn't that a waste of practice time? Even though I understand that it's practical to not sing stuff that starts on the same letter after each others.

And also, what is the other method than starting everything on do? Isn't Do always the root? I mean, doesn't it get confusing if you start singning the natural minor scale like La Ti Do Re Mi Fa Sol? Because then you'd not know what the root is when you actually use it in the real world?

I'm sorry, there are lots of questions and I know it seems confusing. I just want to try to learn this properly wink.gif

Another method is to start minor scale from La, yeah.
I also prefer Do method for each scale but lets face it,
root shall be heard and not only seen or written. smile.gif
Ri and Ma are the same sounding notes but it's diatonic (7 notes)
and just the same as regular notes in diatonic scales,
C minor is C D Eb(not D#) G Ab (not G#) and Bb (not A#).
Perhaps La method for minor scale could be easier for someone. smile.gif

QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ May 25 2009, 11:33 PM) *
I just want to try to learn this properly wink.gif

There are few ways to learn it properly I'm afraid, few systems.
Check out wiki article tho. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
May 25 2009, 11:18 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ May 25 2009, 11:48 PM) *
Another method is to start minor scale from La, yeah.
I also prefer Do method for each scale but lets face it,
root shall be heard and not only seen or written. smile.gif
Ri and Ma are the same sounding notes but it's diatonic (7 notes)
and just the same as regular notes in diatonic scales,
C minor is C D Eb(not D#) G Ab (not G#) and Bb (not A#).
Perhaps La method for minor scale could be easier for someone. smile.gif

There are few ways to learn it properly I'm afraid, few systems.
Check out wiki article tho. wink.gif

Yeah the root should be heard, but if I try to sing the root and try to sing it as a syllable it seems easier to sing it as do all the time, that's what I mean. I don't plan to use this to see or write, I just want to use this to be able to distinguish the notes better.

But yeah, I think I understand, it seems like I just have to find the way that works for me and stick to that. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 25 2009, 11:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ May 26 2009, 12:18 AM) *
I just want to use this to be able to distinguish the notes better.

Then DO for every root is a way to go imo. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 26 2009, 01:43 PM
Instructor
If you want to learn Solfege, movable DO system is the way to go !

There are problems with it however when you start doing atonal solfege. Regardless of everything, movable do system should help you learn relative pitch faster and is very useful grasp.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:56 AM