i = index finger
m = middle finger
r = ring finger
p = pinky finger

you play:

p-r-i-p-r-i-(i)-p-r-i-p-r-(i)-(i)-p-r-i-p-(r-i-i)-0-i-p-m

i play:

p-r-i-p-r-i-®-p-r-i-p-r-®-(m)-p-r-i-p-(p-m-i)-0-i-p-m

is it the best way to play it like you...? or is my fingering also a good answer???? huh.gif

lg skati

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 23 2008, 12:34 PM
Instructor
Hi. Very nice to hear you are practicing this lesson.

I have just looked at the transcription of the bar 17. If I understood correctly you are talking about the E phrygian dominant scale which goes from the 13th fret on the 1st srting and ends on the 5th fret 6th string. If this is correct, then I have the answer.

First, you are probably talking about the left hand fingers. Those are not called p, i, m a. These letters are ALWAYS used for the right hand if you're playing finger style. Left hand fingers are marked with numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, where 1 is your index finger and 4 is your pinky. I can see that you are using letter "p" to refer to little finger but that letter indicates your thumb of the right hand. Now I'll try to "decode" your formula and here is the answer:

So I am starting the scale with the 4th finger and ending on the 2nd finger. I always use all 4 fingers when playing and in this lesson it would be my logical approach to play this scale. This scale is often used by Yngwie Malmsteen but he doesn't use all 4 fingers non-stop. He would start with 3 fingers and add 4th finger when he reaches 3rd or 4th string. This is really a matter of choice. If you feel more comfortable playing with just 3 fingers then you can go for it as long as you execute the pattern with no mistake. I see that on the 3rd string you jump with your 3rd finger on the "E" note where I would slide down with 1st finger. You can do that if it feels more comfortable but I am just used to play this pattern with a little slide. 3 notes on one string and 4 notes on the next one. If the scale was going from 6th towards the 1st string, I would slide with 4th (little finger). That's just the way I learned. Your approach looks ok as well.

I would like to see someone playing thias lesson so I can give more precise comment if I see the video. If you upload it somewhere let me know and it will be easier to discuss the technique.

Thank you for the question and feel free to ask anything, I am happy to help.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:15 PM