4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Mtp Out - Private Lessons In, Launch of new pay feature which will replace MTP
purple hayes
Jul 19 2010, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 19 2010, 09:57 AM) *
We haven't come that far in the planning yet. The reason the payment is set to 6 month is because all payments will be handled manually + your instructor will likely spend most time with you during the first phase (getting to know you personally, your goals, current level and weaknesses).

However if it turns out this feature is here to stay we might very well be able to offer more payment alternatives.

My interest level will go up a lot if the payment plan wasn't set at 6 months up front. That's a lot to invest in something without getting to try it out.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jul 19 2010, 03:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
In my opinion, if you are on this site and using any aspect of it (getting advice from instructors on forums, taking part in competitions and possibly winning prizes etc.) then you should be paying a membership fee. Period.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 19 2010, 04:10 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hmm, not quite what I was hoping for. The additional fee is just too high for me at this moment, especially if you have to pay for 6 months in advance. I actually liked the mtp and still wonder why seemingly so many students had problems with it.
To be honest, since the "private" lessons will be public in the forum at first I'll follow them silently and will decide later this year if I will also do it.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 19 2010, 04:30 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 19 2010, 04:42 AM) *
This program will cost 30 usd per month and is completely separated from the normal GMC subscription. This means that if you want access to GMC videos and Private Lessons you will have to pay two separate fees.

I'm still a little confused. What exactly does the monthly membership get us if we still have to pay to view the video lessons? Or am I reading what you wrote incorrectly?

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl)
Just as with the mtp program we will do our best to match you up with your desired instructor and/or style. More about the program and sign up here.

I visited the link, and there is nothing more to read about the program - only a license agreement link and a form to submit payment.

Thanks,
Christian A.

oh, wait - I see the "and" between vidoes AND private lessons - so the monthly covers being able to view the already recorded lessons - the fee is there only for private lessons. I think it would be better worded by excluding the "videos and" from that sentence. I almost had a heart-attack biggrin.gif

If that's the case, I'll remind readers that instructors, at least in U.S.A. generally pay about $30 per half hour for 1 on 1 instruction, so this is still a bargain by any stretch, if you use your 6 month membership wisely.

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: Jul 19 2010, 04:36 PM

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jul 19 2010, 04:31 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jul 19 2010, 04:19 PM) *
In my opinion, if you are on this site and using any aspect of it (getting advice from instructors on forums, taking part in competitions and possibly winning prizes etc.) then you should be paying a membership fee. Period.

Of course, that's logical, but now we'll have to pay twice!

Kris, IMO this kind of interferes with your views on teaching guitar. You once told me it wasn't about the money, but about the experience of showing other people how to play guitar, but then why make it so expensive!

Will there be any way of winning this? biggrin.gif Wiki'writers 50% off? tongue.gif haha

I truly hope this will work, because the mtp we have now is really cool, but not always practical! This will not be for me (to expensive), but I wish everyone the best to try!!

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Jul 19 2010, 04:33 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 19 2010, 04:31 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (purple hayes @ Jul 19 2010, 04:13 PM) *
My interest level will go up a lot if the payment plan wasn't set at 6 months up front. That's a lot to invest in something without getting to try it out.

You will get the mtp program - but with better planning, continuity and individual teaching (since we no longer have the restrictions). Those who have had mtp mentoring should know what I am talking about - if you haven't you can check out the different instructors mtp sub boards here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jul 19 2010, 04:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 19 2010, 05:31 PM) *
You will get the mtp program - but with better planning, continuity and individual teaching (since we no longer have the restrictions). Those who have had mtp mentoring should know what I am talking about - if you haven't you can check out the different instructors mtp sub boards here.

But why not the way it used to be? I can recall my first mtp round with Monte (Lcdssd) which was really cool! There were no restrictions and I really loved it wink.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Jul 19 2010, 06:00 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I don't think that admins would have anything against one of the members starting few topics in which he would "tutor" some "students".

--------------------

+Quote Post
carminemarotta
Jul 19 2010, 06:36 PM
GMC:er
Kris
sorry but like somebody else I still have not understood how it works. It is quite expensive, so before committing 6 months will be nice to have better explanations.

Thanks
Carmine

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 19 2010, 06:45 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I am wondering about one thing, maybe I am one of the few students here for whom this may be important:
Right now, I am having a bass mtp with Bogdan. I also had (and still have) a guitar mtp with Lian.
So, if I want provate lessons for guitar and bass, does that mean I would have to pay 60 USD per month? Or can I learn both in private lessons for the single price of 30 USD?
As I said, this might be a special situation...

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
MirkoSchmidt
Jul 19 2010, 06:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
yeah, its really expensive... im sure most of the members here are not able to join that (like me)
i mean how much do you earn in southamerica? im not sure but isnt 29$ pretty much money for someone from there?

im very happy with the mtp, i did two great month with daniel realpe and now i have a cool time with adrian! i cant see problems with mtp... but i can see a pssibility to earn much money there for sure...
im not really happy with that...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Jul 19 2010, 07:03 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Guys remember few things. For example - MTP takes instructors time. As being an instructor here is a JOB (of course it is also many other things as well), they most probably would like to get paid for the hours committed to MTP. So now there are two possibilities:
1. instructors don't get any money for the MTP now - this isn't a good thing
2. Kris pays them for the MTP, and students that are mentored aren't paying anything extra, they are paying the same cash that other members pay without having the MTP - I don't see a reason for such situation. Kris isn't the one that should sponsor ones teaching.

Of course I may be wrong, and the instructors are willing to give private lessons for free to us all, but I doubt it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jul 19 2010, 07:30 PM
I am paying $25 per hour for lessons here in my town. A one hour lesson almost covers the cost of a month of personal teaching here? That doesn't sound bad to me. I would like more detail into what I am buying however as others have stated. It is a little confusing as to how this will be $90 better than the 3 month rotation of MTP which was free. Will there be webcam interaction with the instructor? Will it be forum posts open and available to all members to read? If so, then I can see a situation where one student is paying for the lesson...and many others are following the topic and getting the same benefit without paying anything. I think private lessons should be just that - private.

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 19 2010, 08:12 PM
GMC Founder
I will do my best to clarify some more.

The new Private Lessons program is no new magic formula. It is the same thing as the old mtp which you previously got for "free".

So why do we charge you extra for this program now? Because providing the old one for "free" was not sustainable - it was threatening gmc's economy and forced us into restrictions which no one liked. The old mtp program was the result of a feature test which got more and more and popular until we couldn't manage it any longer.

The reason the mtp program got so expensive is because we reward our instructors for their time & work in the community - that is one of the reasons we can keep such a high level of knowledge on the site.

Having said this - I do see many ways this new program will turn out to be a much more effective learning tool than the old one, but only time will tell!

--------------------

+Quote Post
carminemarotta
Jul 19 2010, 08:16 PM
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jul 19 2010, 07:30 PM) *
I am paying $25 per hour for lessons here in my town. A one hour lesson almost covers the cost of a month of personal teaching here? That doesn't sound bad to me. I would like more detail into what I am buying however as others have stated. It is a little confusing as to how this will be $90 better than the 3 month rotation of MTP which was free. Will there be webcam interaction with the instructor? Will it be forum posts open and available to all members to read? If so, then I can see a situation where one student is paying for the lesson...and many others are following the topic and getting the same benefit without paying anything. I think private lessons should be just that - private.

I completely agree with Praetorian

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jul 19 2010, 08:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
Well, I dig this, and I dont think the prize isn't unfair either - but maybe there should be a "trial" month or so, You cant really tell if this way of learning/the instructors will suit You in particular. Pay for six months in advance seems to be a little too much if You're not sure of this method of learning. Another issue will be on the teacher side - what if the student thinks that the teacher doesn't put enough effort in the private lessons? Can You get the money back then ? Also, I would like to see some more instructors participate, right now we have the rock & metal teachers (nothing wrong with that), but what about teachers in other styles???

//Staffay

EDIT: Btw. Im a big fan of the old system where students teaches students, there are a lot of skill amongst the students as well. If this can run at the same time, I think it will be great. (heard me Monte.. smile.gif ) If anyone is interested in learning some jazz theory, basic rock/jazz I will be happy to help !

This post has been edited by Staffy: Jul 19 2010, 08:27 PM

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
carminemarotta
Jul 19 2010, 08:20 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 19 2010, 08:12 PM) *
I will do my best to clarify some more.

The new Private Lessons program is no new magic formula. It is the same thing as the old mtp which you previously got for "free".

In my opinion, $30 for what was free untill yesterday is too expensive. I thought that there were some extra features.

Carmine

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 19 2010, 08:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
Kristofer,

Perhaps if you list what features are available for monthly subscribers, that would help make things clearers.

Am I correct in assuming the following are still included in the monthly fee?

1. Access to video lessons under the "Guitar Lessons Tab"
2. Instructor led Collaborations
3. REC program whereby students can still be graded for submissions based on lessons?
4. Instructor led video chat.

And the only thing that is changing is an added fee for Private Lessons, which is replacing the MTP program?

Thanks,
Christian A.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jul 19 2010, 08:50 PM
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jul 19 2010, 03:46 PM) *
Kristofer,

Perhaps if you list what features are available for monthly subscribers, that would help make things clearers.

Am I correct in assuming the following are still included in the monthly fee?

1. Access to video lessons under the "Guitar Lessons Tab"
2. Instructor led Collaborations
3. REC program whereby students can still be graded for submissions based on lessons?
4. Instructor led video chat.

And the only thing that is changing is an added fee for Private Lessons, which is replacing the MTP program?

Thanks,
Christian A.

From what I understand, that sounds correct. Everything seems to be the same except the MTP program is now called Private Lessons and is a "pay to play" program. Also, the Private Lessons seem to be more streamlined to each student's needs instead of a lesson per month, with a mandatory REC take at the end type of format. If they need two months of just perfecting scales, or chords etc. then that is what they will get. I defer to Kris if I have it incorrect however!

I am interested in this...but I really have a problem with everyone being able to follow your "private" lesson. It doesn't seem right that someone can get the same benefit from reading the thread for free, and take advantage of the paying member. It should be a seperate thread for the instructor and student only...maybe a password?

This post has been edited by Praetorian: Jul 19 2010, 08:57 PM

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Jul 19 2010, 08:53 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Staffy @ Jul 19 2010, 08:20 PM) *
Well, I dig this, and I dont think the prize isn't unfair either - but maybe there should be a "trial" month or so, You cant really tell if this way of learning/the instructors will suit You in particular. Pay for six months in advance seems to be a little too much if You're not sure of this method of learning. Another issue will be on the teacher side - what if the student thinks that the teacher doesn't put enough effort in the private lessons? Can You get the money back then ? Also, I would like to see some more instructors participate, right now we have the rock & metal teachers (nothing wrong with that), but what about teachers in other styles???

//Staffay

EDIT: Btw. Im a big fan of the old system where students teaches students, there are a lot of skill amongst the students as well. If this can run at the same time, I think it will be great. (heard me Monte.. smile.gif ) If anyone is interested in learning some jazz theory, basic rock/jazz I will be happy to help !

Wow I would love if you could teach me that smile.gif specially cause its summer and i have a lot of free time .. and I want to learn has much as I can now, cause next year I´m going to college and i fear that the time that i have for music will be very limited ...

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Jul 19 2010, 08:53 PM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:39 AM