I'm Back To School!, well, not really, i'm trying to learn jazz
Adrian Figallo
Oct 2 2011, 03:21 AM
Instructor
hey guys, i wanna share this personal thing with you, you know, for a while i have been focusing my time on my singing, on my guitar tones, on my production career, but i felt like it's time to sleep a couple of hours less and continue developing my guitar lick library or guitar technique however you wanna call it.

I wanted to learn jazz for such a long time now, i'm sure i can play it, but i don't quite understand the music yet, it is a hard thing to describe, is like, i have to sync my mind with my fingers, i love and know the music, now i must now how to play it biggrin.gif.

Of course i don't have to look anywhere else to learn something on guitar, i'm a BIG fan of our own stephane playing, he's one of the greatest guitar players around in my opinion, and he has an excellent tone always, so i think i'm going to go that way.

I hate tabs, scales, modes and theory in general, so i'm just going to sit here and try to play whatever hes playing, i'm sure i'm going to need at least tabs, but my goal -for now- is just to learn new cool licks and how/where to use them on the music i like.

So for the first song, i chose this one:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Jazz-Blues-Solo/

And after several hours of practicing bits, jamming and trying to use that on different context, i know how to play like 2 and a bit of a 3rd parts of the song biggrin.gif, i'm SO slow learning biggrin.gif, check it out:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 2 2011, 07:33 AM
Instructor
That's a great decision Adrian! This is also in my list of things to do so I think that maybe I could follow your steps and progress... biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Oct 2 2011, 04:47 PM
Instructor
thanks gabriel! i feel both excited and like a total stupid trying to play something that i don't know, it's been TOO long since the last time i learn something!

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Oct 2 2011, 04:51 PM
GMC:er
Go Go Go!! you can do it!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Oct 2 2011, 06:16 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
If the students at GMC can do it, you can do it too Adrian! wink.gif

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Oct 2 2011, 07:28 PM
Instructor
I find this style so great to play, I learned a couple of pieces not long ago and they are so different to what I usually play but it feels great.

Nice that you are learning with our great lessons!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 2 2011, 08:59 PM
Instructor
Adrian! I'm looking at you and i am feeling that sheer joy of learning something new biggrin.gif exploring uncharted territory! You have NO CLUE on how I miss that smile.gif I will start learning something new myself! I haven't felt like that since noodling around with some Johny Hiland licks and phrasing back in February this year!

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Oct 2 2011, 09:13 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 2 2011, 08:59 PM) *
Adrian! I'm looking at you and i am feeling that sheer joy of learning something new biggrin.gif exploring uncharted territory! You have NO CLUE on how I miss that smile.gif I will start learning something new myself! I haven't felt like that since noodling around with some Johny Hiland licks and phrasing back in February this year!

you can always give all you guitar skill and knowledgement to me and learn guitar from 0 ph34r.gif if that's the problem.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Oct 2 2011, 09:20 PM
Instructor
ahh thanks guys, i will continue later with my studies, i'm planning to do like 2 hours a day, i hope to make some progress step by step, day by day.

the thing comes to understand what i'm playing, and why im playing it, i don't remember how it feels to understand something, or maybe is just a long process of getting used to sounds, how exciting is to re discover learning.

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 2 2011, 09:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Oct 2 2011, 08:13 PM) *
you can always give all you guitar skill and knowledgement to me and learn guitar from 0 ph34r.gif if that's the problem.

I'd gladly share smile.gif) but it regenerates so I won't go completely guitar impaired once I've shared tongue.gif I hope laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Oct 2 2011, 10:40 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Man, I'm so glad for you! I see you're already picking up stuff, so good luck and have fun with those licks wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Oct 3 2011, 12:25 AM
Instructor
thanks dinaga, everything is cool, but now i want to buy a $3K ES 335 biggrin.gif

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Oct 3 2011, 05:36 PM
Instructor
Get rid of these blues phrases at the end and you'll be perfect jazzman ! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 5 2011, 04:02 PM
Instructor
Jazz is a music like any other, except it is based around improvising.

In order to become good at jazz improvising, you need to be familiar with many different chordal progressions, standards. If you learn 50-100 standards, you are on a good way on becoming a jazz musician, cause ear "catches" up those progressions, and later on you learn to mix them, combine them (when phrasing ofc).

Good luck mate! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Oct 5 2011, 04:02 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 5 2011, 04:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 5 2011, 12:02 PM) *
Jazz is a music like any other, except it is based around improvising.

In order to become good at jazz improvising, you need to be familiar with many different chordal progressions, standards. If you learn 50-100 standards, you are on a good way on becoming a jazz musician, cause ear "catches" up those progressions, and later on you learn to mix them, combine them (when phrasing ofc).

Good luck mate! smile.gif

Cool description Ivan! Where can we find which scales and modes can be used over different jazz chord progressions?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Oct 5 2011, 04:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 5 2011, 10:17 AM) *
Cool description Ivan! Where can we find which scales and modes can be used over different jazz chord progressions?

I would like to know that too!

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 5 2011, 04:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Oct 5 2011, 12:21 PM) *
I would like to know that too!

I've never found an improvisation book that was clear and complete. There are lots of books that share scales, modes, and then gives you just some applying samples. Maybe there is some stuff here that we didn't find...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Oct 5 2011, 04:45 PM
Instructor
i'm following some lessons from stephane and i can play them more or less but i don't understand much about why i'm playing those parts on those chords on that moment, looks like jazz is pretty confusing tongue.gif

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 6 2011, 07:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Oct 5 2011, 12:45 PM) *
i'm following some lessons from stephane and i can play them more or less but i don't understand much about why i'm playing those parts on those chords on that moment, looks like jazz is pretty confusing tongue.gif

have you checked the Jazz notes series?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/search/jazz%20notes/?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Oct 6 2011, 03:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 6 2011, 01:35 AM) *
have you checked the Jazz notes series?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/search/jazz%20notes/?

Hey THANKS man, i'm going to check that out, it looks very detailed and that's what i need!

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:17 AM