Hello Fellow Gmcers
Opetholic
May 4 2012, 10:33 AM
Learning Guitar Lord
Hi Everyone,

I am a new member at GMC and decided to say hi and introduce myself. I subscribed 2 days ago and I really enjoy what I have experienced so far. There is an enormous amount of lessons to master, pretty cool live lessons and also some cool fellow guitar players.

A bit about my background in music: I had classical guitar lessons for 8 years between ages 11 and 19, which was a long time ago by the way smile.gif I haven't been taking lessons since then but I tried to play regularly. I enjoy playing pieces mostly by F. Tarrega, H.V. Lobos and I. Albeniz. A couple of years ago I decided that I would like to advance my technique in electric guitar as well. Although I am quite an advanced classical guitar player my electric guitar technique is probably somewhere around 5-7. Bands that influence my playing style are Dream Theater and Opeth mostly. I also like some neoclassical stuff. My strength, having a background in classical playing, is that I have a solid left hand technique and quite a comfortable pinky finger. My weakness is my picking hand. I would like to get better at alternate picking and sweep picking techniques. I am sure the material here at GMC will help me a lot..

That's all for now. Looking forward to interacting with you guys more and sharing ideas and hopefully uploading some of my takes on some lessons in the future. I have a pretty busy working schedule so I don't know if I can manage to do any of the weekly challenges but I will try to give that a shot also at some point smile.gif

Cheers.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
May 4 2012, 10:54 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Opetholic @ May 4 2012, 09:33 AM) *
Hi Everyone,

I am a new member at GMC and decided to say hi and introduce myself. I subscribed 2 days ago and I really enjoy what I have experienced so far. There is an enormous amount of lessons to master, pretty cool live lessons and also some cool fellow guitar players.

A bit about my background in music: I had classical guitar lessons for 8 years between ages 11 and 19, which was a long time ago by the way smile.gif I haven't been taking lessons since then but I tried to play regularly. I enjoy playing pieces mostly by F. Tarrega, H.V. Lobos and I. Albeniz. A couple of years ago I decided that I would like to advance my technique in electric guitar as well. Although I am quite an advanced classical guitar player my electric guitar technique is probably somewhere around 5-7. Bands that influence my playing style are Dream Theater and Opeth mostly. I also like some neoclassical stuff. My strength, having a background in classical playing, is that I have a solid left hand technique and quite a comfortable pinky finger. My weakness is my picking hand. I would like to get better at alternate picking and sweep picking techniques. I am sure the material here at GMC will help me a lot..

That's all for now. Looking forward to interacting with you guys more and sharing ideas and hopefully uploading some of my takes on some lessons in the future. I have a pretty busy working schedule so I don't know if I can manage to do any of the weekly challenges but I will try to give that a shot also at some point smile.gif

Cheers.

You are also an Opeth fan. We will get along fantastically!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 4 2012, 11:17 AM
Instructor
Hey and welcome to GMC smile.gif

That's a cool background. It sounds like your fretting hand is totally capable... so it's attention for the picking hand you need then...

First of all, before anyone dives into alternate picking exercises, they first need a decent up/down picking approach. Are you comfortable with that side of things yet ? If so, then let's all put our heads together and suggest some good picking lessons for you smile.gif

+Quote Post
Opetholic
May 4 2012, 12:55 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
Sounds fantastic! I am looking forward to the assignments you will suggest smile.gif

At the moment I am practicing "Power of mini sweeps" lesson by you. I got it up to tempo at 140 bpm until the last bit where it goes faster with the legatos. That part I can't do faster than 120 or 125 bpm so far. I will keep practicing with the metronome.

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 4 2012, 10:17 AM) *
Hey and welcome to GMC smile.gif

That's a cool background. It sounds like your fretting hand is totally capable... so it's attention for the picking hand you need then...

First of all, before anyone dives into alternate picking exercises, they first need a decent up/down picking approach. Are you comfortable with that side of things yet ? If so, then let's all put our heads together and suggest some good picking lessons for you smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 4 2012, 01:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Opetholic @ May 4 2012, 12:55 PM) *
Sounds fantastic! I am looking forward to the assignments you will suggest smile.gif

At the moment I am practicing "Power of mini sweeps" lesson by you. I got it up to tempo at 140 bpm until the last bit where it goes faster with the legatos. That part I can't do faster than 120 or 125 bpm so far. I will keep practicing with the metronome.

Hey, that's cool to hear you're having a go at that lesson. I like using shapes like that and they feature regularly in my playing. For those fast licks at the end, what I do to help myself keep the speed is to concentrate hard on the first note of each repetition and do my best to make sure that note never starts faltering in speed. As a result the other notes between are 'forced' to play catch up. I do that a lot when I'm practising. I'll pick the strong notes of a phrase which is usually the first note of a lick and make sure I'm 100 % with the beat or the metronome and then the rest of the lick has a better chance of staying with it.

For picking, I recommend having a look at the Modal Madness series by Zsolt. He tunes to D but you can just shift his patterns up a whole tone if you're in standard tuning. Also, don't worry if the speed is too fast as you can still take the patterns and play them at whatever tempo is comfortable for you to get them under your belt. smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/modal-madness/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/modal-...ic-minor-modes/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/modal_...xtended_scales/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/modal_...tring_patterns/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/modal_...irajoshi_scale/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Modal_...ntatonic_Scale/

This one might be a good one to start with, as the patterns are interesting

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Modal-...tring-patterns/

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 4 2012, 02:46 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Welcome aboard! smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 4 2012, 05:51 PM
Instructor
Hi man! Welcome again to the site! I already met you at my Vchat session. smile.gif
Let me know if you want some help with anything regarding your guitar practice. I'm working on a mentoring program called Gab's Army so you can join if you want.
Enjoy GMC!!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 5 2012, 08:13 PM
Instructor
Hey man smile.gif glad you decided to introduce yourself wink.gif things will most probably just flow from here, so, see you around bro!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:57 PM