Challenge Ben 2
Ben Higgins
Feb 1 2013, 10:30 AM
Instructor
This time I've got a sliding legato lick in A Harmonic Minor. Notice how I barely pick anything. In fact, if memory serves me correctly, I only pick the very first note to start it off. But feel free to pick whenever you need to - individuality after all ! smile.gif

Attached File  CB2.mp3 ( 384.98K ) Number of downloads: 214

Attached Image

Attached File  CB2.gp5 ( 1.85K ) Number of downloads: 148

In the second bar, I hammer on to the 8th fret with my little finger and then bend up from the 7th fret with my middle finger. This is quite tricky to get the note sounding without picking it. The act of pulling off the 8th with your pinky can sound the string as you bend up with you middle finger from the 7th ! Try it !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Feb 1 2013, 12:02 PM
Learning Tone Master

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 1 2013, 12:49 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks Ben .. nice legato lick .. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 1 2013, 04:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Feb 1 2013, 11:02 AM) *

Oh yesss ! You even made a little backing track for it too biggrin.gif Sounds like some music from some old SEGA fantasty adventure game ! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (wrk @ Feb 1 2013, 11:49 AM) *
Thanks Ben .. nice legato lick .. smile.gif

Brilliant, just brilliant !! biggrin.gif

You both really nailed it and you both manged the bend thing with your middle finger !!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 2 2013, 01:13 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Domo arigato Mr. Legato! biggrin.gif

[attachment=30481:Bens2.mp3]

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 2 2013, 03:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 2 2013, 12:13 PM) *
Domo arigato Mr. Legato! biggrin.gif

[attachment=30481:Bens2.mp3]

Rich-San ! I welcome your offering !

A very layered sounding take - is that delay and chorus you got on there, or just delay ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 2 2013, 08:29 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 2 2013, 05:43 AM) *
Rich-San ! I welcome your offering !

A very layered sounding take - is that delay and chorus you got on there, or just delay ? smile.gif

Some delay some reverb and two, two, two takes in one! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 3 2013, 03:07 AM
GMC:er
You did say 'individuality'.
Another super cool lick from maestro Higgins that I hear over these chords (harm.min always says alt/dom to me - too much jazz damage I guess):
| Bm7b5 | E7+9 -9 | Am Am∆7 | Am7 D9 | Dm9 | G13 | Cmaj7 | Cmaj7 |

[attachment=30504:DR000050.mp3]

*I recorded it with two electrics but ideally two steel strings would give it the Gypsy Jazz vibe I was hearing.
I altered the phrasing/rhythm in the second half of bar 2 a little.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 3 2013, 03:42 AM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 3 2013, 05:32 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
That was sweet Klasaine! And Jazz Damage sounds like a great name for a band! cool.gif
And Hungry!, way to go for extra credit with that backing man nice job!
Wrk! Nice playing and thats a nice solid tone man! cool.gif What kind of guitar is that? I have seen those somewhere before.

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 3 2013, 06:05 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Awesome to see ya Andy.. What guitar is that? smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 3 2013, 07:43 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 3 2013, 05:32 AM) *
Wrk! Nice playing and thats a nice solid tone man! cool.gif What kind of guitar is that? I have seen those somewhere before.

It's a cheap Squier .. my daughter got 3 years old and i thought it's time to equip her with some quality gear. Another attempt to manipulate her way in the guitar world !!!! .. smile.gif

QUOTE (maharzan @ Feb 3 2013, 06:05 AM) *
Awesome to see ya Andy.. What guitar is that? smile.gif

Hi Chandra .. hope you are doing fine as well smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 3 2013, 08:02 AM
Learning Roadie
I want a Hello Kitty guitar!

Klasaine, way to take a Ben metal lick and put it into a completely different context where it fits beautifully

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 3 2013, 10:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 3 2013, 02:07 AM) *
You did say 'individuality'.
Another super cool lick from maestro Higgins that I hear over these chords (harm.min always says alt/dom to me - too much jazz damage I guess):
| Bm7b5 | E7+9 -9 | Am Am∆7 | Am7 D9 | Dm9 | G13 | Cmaj7 | Cmaj7 |

[attachment=30504:DR000050.mp3]

*I recorded it with two electrics but ideally two steel strings would give it the Gypsy Jazz vibe I was hearing.
I altered the phrasing/rhythm in the second half of bar 2 a little.

Oh that sounds perfect - just beautiful !! That really works in the Gypsy Jazz syle.. great imagination ! And I think the electric sound you got was perfect for it biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 3 2013, 06:19 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 3 2013, 09:46 AM) *
Oh that sounds perfect - just beautiful !! That really works in the Gypsy Jazz syle.. great imagination ! And I think the electric sound you got was perfect for it biggrin.gif

Thank you sir. Nice line - very melodic.
It's on a Fender Jazzmaster. Because of the the way the bridge and tailpiece is designed it has a lot of the 'pop' of an acoustic (or an archtop). The pkups are SUPER low output as well. Believe it or not I actually had some boost/drive on the melody. Mostly just to get the lead to separate a bit from the chords.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 3 2013, 08:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 3 2013, 05:19 PM) *
Believe it or not I actually had some boost/drive on the melody. Mostly just to get the lead to separate a bit from the chords.

Yes I do believe that. A lot of those lovely electric jazzy tones have what I can only describe as a woody, brittle crunch.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:52 AM