> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

18 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Bleez's Mentoring Thread
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 14 2012, 02:08 PM
Instructor
Close, very very close, but still distinguishably shaky biggrin.gif It's a matter of a weee of pinch biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 14 2012, 10:22 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 14 2012, 02:08 PM) *
Close, very very close, but still distinguishably shaky biggrin.gif It's a matter of a weee of pinch biggrin.gif

dang it! biggrin.gif

okay dude.... I guess its THAT time again ohmy.gif I went and recorded the voice..... you may want to prepare your ears for the 'occasional' unorthodox bend biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 15 2012, 04:21 PM
Instructor
Mate! This is already taking good shape! The first part was good aside from those little tricky bends biggrin.gif Well, those little bastards are the nemesis of everyone around here, it seems! The first one was almost great, but the second one had a bit of a faulty timing. Let's focus on this first part, what say you? biggrin.gif We get it perfect and then move on to the next!

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 15 2012, 05:46 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 15 2012, 04:21 PM) *
Mate! This is already taking good shape! The first part was good aside from those little tricky bends biggrin.gif Well, those little bastards are the nemesis of everyone around here, it seems! The first one was almost great, but the second one had a bit of a faulty timing. Let's focus on this first part, what say you? biggrin.gif We get it perfect and then move on to the next!

yeah, I watched a few of the rec takes for the voice and it was kinda encouraging to see that those bends have tormented some of the other guys as well!
Im totally up for concentrating on the first part, sounds like a good plan smile.gif should I spend maybe the next 2-3 days trying to tighten up the first part and then let you see it?

oh yeah, thanks for your comments on the blues rec take biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by bleez: Oct 15 2012, 05:48 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 16 2012, 04:53 PM
Instructor
Most definitely! Focus on it and watch out for EVERY detail biggrin.gif I'll be waiting wink.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 21 2012, 12:01 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
hey Boss, it's 2 voices for the price of 1 biggrin.gif

I thought it would be cool to work on both lessons simultaneously and try to get both stage by stage.
So here's a take of both, I have a little catching up to do with voice2 as I only began learning it but Im confident I'll get those bends sooner rather than later. The voice 2 is such a cool-ass thing to play smile.gif Im digging those weird bends a lot, even though I dont nail them, they are still cool to play.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 22 2012, 11:52 AM
Instructor
Hehehe biggrin.gif

Well, mate, for the Voice 1 - those bends are a bit quicker sad.gif pfff, these things are pretty difficult to reproduce, I know, but the only way you can really get them into your system, is to listen to the piece until you can sing it, literally smile.gif

And also, don't get rigid on the playing bro, in the second part it looks pretty stiffie, just because it's new tongue.gif But try to be as fluid as possible in the Voice 1.

It's tough, I know, but once you get these under you thumb, you'll have them FOR LIFE! biggrin.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 22 2012, 01:17 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 22 2012, 11:52 AM) *
Hehehe biggrin.gif

Well, mate, for the Voice 1 - those bends are a bit quicker sad.gif

rolleyes.gif those damn hell ass bends!! I'll check my timing of them tonight and get them sorted smile.gif

dude, quick question, in terms of scales and stuff. All I know is the 5 minor pentatonic shapes, but I dont really know what I should do next to get a bit more 'musical'. I liked what you done with the house of the rising sun style lesson you made, I'd love to have the sort of musical knowledge to be able to do stuff like that. can you suggest something I could look at to get me started in that area?

thanks mate.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 23 2012, 08:18 AM
Instructor
Thanks man! Well, you need to learn a thing or two about modes and HOW to use them smile.gif We could talk about that if ya'd like to biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 23 2012, 08:54 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 23 2012, 08:18 AM) *
Thanks man! Well, you need to learn a thing or two about modes and HOW to use them smile.gif We could talk about that if ya'd like to biggrin.gif

yeah totally, that would be cool smile.gif cheers dude.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 24 2012, 07:20 AM
Instructor
Alright! Well, let's begin with a simple question biggrin.gif What do you think that modes really are? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 24 2012, 08:49 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 24 2012, 07:20 AM) *
What do you think that modes really are? biggrin.gif

unsure.gif a type of scale?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 24 2012, 12:00 PM
Instructor
Mate, a mode is simply a permutation of the notes in a mother scale smile.gif

The most important thing you must know and understand, is that everything regarding modes is based on three things:

1) Learning to hear the differences between them - this involves ear training and knowing what scale degree is characteristic for each mode
2) Knowing where those notes are on the neck
3) Knowing how to combine notes which chords - that all goes down to understanding what is the actual effect of playing a certain note/ group of notes against a particular chord

You must know that the modes can be classified like this:

Major (the contain a major 3rd) - Ionian, Lydian, Mixolydian

Minor (the contain a minor third) - Dorian, Phrygian, Aeolian, Locrian

If we look at the major scale - the Ionian mode, as it is also called, we will notice the following structure:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 -> these are the scale degrees of the Ionian/ Natural major scale

From this point we tweak this formula to obtain the other modes wink.gif

Lydian -> 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7
Mixolydian -> 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7
Dorian -> 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
Phrigyan -> 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Aeolian -> 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Locrian -> 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7

By 'b' (flat) we understand that we raise that degree to which the 'b' is attached and by '#' we understand that we raise that degree to which the '#' is attached.

Are we good so far?

smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 24 2012, 11:02 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Its a bit complicated and I need to assimilate the info but I think we are good so far smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 25 2012, 08:26 AM
Instructor
Well, please tell me what seems to be most difficult so that we can break it down if needed : )

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 26 2012, 01:07 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
actually dude, I think Im okay so far biggrin.gif Ive re-read it a few times.... Im good!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 27 2012, 10:36 PM
Instructor
Alright! Now, tell me can we try the next little drill?

Suppose we have E major - the scale smile.gif Can you tell me what modes you can form from its 4th and 5th step and their notes? biggrin.gif And can you tell me the notes of E Dorian and it's parent scale?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 28 2012, 05:05 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 27 2012, 09:36 PM) *
Alright! Now, tell me can we try the next little drill?

Suppose we have E major - the scale smile.gif Can you tell me what modes you can form from its 4th and 5th step and their notes? biggrin.gif And can you tell me the notes of E Dorian and it's parent scale?

Cosmin

okay..... huh.gif
the 4th mode is Lydian so if the Emaj scale notes are - E F# G# A B C# D# E then the lydian mode within the Emaj would be - A B C# D# E F# G# A?
The 5th mode is the mixolydian and within Emaj it would be - B C# D# E F# G# A B ?

The second part Im a little unsure about. I dont understand how to get the notes of the E dorian without knowing their parent scale. If I know the parent scale I can get the notes of the mode or if I have the notes of the mode I can get the parent scale..... Im just not clear on how to do it if I have neither.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 29 2012, 12:29 AM
Instructor
Hehe biggrin.gif Check this out:

You know that the Dorian mode belongs to the 2nd step of its parent scale, right? Whose major scale does E Dorian belong if we consider it to be the 2nd step? D major of course -> D E F# G A B C# D

Got it mate? biggrin.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 29 2012, 12:53 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 28 2012, 11:29 PM) *
Got it mate? biggrin.gif

rolleyes.gif LOL! yeah.... I should have seen that! totally get it now.
So from the first question, the lydian mode is an 'A lydian' and the mixolydian is 'B Mixolydian' because 'A' is the 4th step and B the fifth step in the EMaj scale.

This stuff is really cool, what's next boss????
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:34 AM