30 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Creativity Workout 1, Improve your composing skills!
Gabriel Leopardi
May 6 2015, 06:15 AM
Instructor
Hello guys! Creativity workouts are back! smile.gif

The idea of these workouts is to dedicate some time to activate our spiritual side. So let's forget about reason for a while, and search deep within for creativity.

This might sound weird to you, but I guarantee once you have got a hang of it, that it will open up new possibilities.

The first experiment consists in visualizing an image that I will share. Using your deeper perception - you should musicalize it with a note, a chord, a noise, a melody, an unfinished idea, a song or whatever you can create. The creation (music) must be original, recorded by yourself and shared here.

Each of us has a different perception of reality and it will be interesting to see different GMC:ers create different musical ideas for the same image. We will then analyze the results.

I will share the first pic soon.

Who is in?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jul 20 2015, 03:57 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rhida
May 6 2015, 05:39 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I wanna try that!

Count me in!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Evilvanhulin
May 6 2015, 09:03 PM
GMC:er
Count me in too !!!

+Quote Post
Osedmen
May 6 2015, 09:08 PM
GMC:er

Cool is a great way to compose something.

I would like to join!

great idea!

--------------------
.:: Colombian fingerstyle guitar player ::.

.:: Now available on iTunes - Spotify - Amazon - Deezer - rhapsody and more ! ::.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lone-spirit/id1057969440

https://open.spotify.com/album/2SALF0jTOJgZD57nl3A4QO

.:: Did you watch my first videoclip? ::.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IClzXkQI8E

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 7 2015, 03:48 PM
Instructor
Cool guys! You're welcome.

This is the first photo for this workout:

Attached Image

photo by Chan Kwok Hung (from Hong Kong)

Close your eyes and get into the photo. Imagine being one of them, imagine being the one who took the photo, imagine being the director of a film and deciding the sound composition. There are different points of view that you can get, and the music that you'll imagine will be totally different.

Remember that just one chord, one note, a noise, a short progression or melody, a 20 seconds song, a complete song, everything is welcome here.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: May 7 2015, 03:49 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Daeron
May 7 2015, 04:30 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Woaw... this picture activate some opposite emotions in me. I don't know if I'll be able to translate it into music. I never intented this kind of exercise but it is very interesting.

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 7 2015, 07:07 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Gab!

So this is something I've been slowly developing and I think it fits the picture:

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/hear-our-cries-idea-two

(Don't mind the terrible mix - I didn't spend too much on it)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 8 2015, 03:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Chris S. @ May 7 2015, 03:07 PM) *
Hey Gab!

So this is something I've been slowly developing and I think it fits the picture:

Wou! It's beautiful! You're right, your composition is very cinematic and connect amazingly with the photo. I did the exercise of focusing on the pic and playing the music with headphones and I've really felt it. Even I discovered a lot of expression on the younger child eyes. It's awesome how music can makes us have a different or deeper perspective of an image.

Thanks for sharing this with us Chris. It's magic. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 8 2015, 05:15 PM
Gab, I'm in for sure.

WOW! What a picture. I want to record the sound of tears falling from my eyes and landing on the open B minor 7 chord, (the saddest sounding chord I know)

Thanks Gab

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
May 9 2015, 11:34 AM
Veteran Tone Master
QUOTE (Chris S. @ May 7 2015, 06:07 PM) *
Hey Gab!

This music is beautiful, it's perfect harmony with the picture
sadness, suffering....

This post has been edited by MisterM: May 9 2015, 11:35 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 9 2015, 03:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 8 2015, 01:15 PM) *
Gab, I'm in for sure.

WOW! What a picture. I want to record the sound of tears falling from my eyes and landing on the open B minor 7 chord, (the saddest sounding chord I know)

Thanks Gab

Do it! I want to hear it! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 9 2015, 05:04 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Gab and MisterM!

The chorus I had done for a while but never took it anywhere but the picture gave me a sense of direction. Glad you guys liked it cool.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 10 2015, 09:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Chris S. @ May 9 2015, 01:04 PM) *
Thanks Gab and MisterM!

The chorus I had done for a while but never took it anywhere but the picture gave me a sense of direction. Glad you guys liked it cool.gif

Wou, that's a great result for this experiment. It's awesome how a picture can give direction to a composition.

Anybody else would like to participate on this one? Remember that you can provide very short ideas, even a chord, or a noise are welcome.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 10 2015, 09:58 PM
Tomorrow hopefully. I'll try my best wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 11 2015, 04:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 10 2015, 05:58 PM) *
Tomorrow hopefully. I'll try my best wink.gif

Promising.... smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 11 2015, 08:26 PM
Ok, I went with my original idea of the Bmin7 chord and then played over it. I didn't go for a tune exactly, I just stared at the picture and came up with a more atmospheric piece rather than melodic. Hope you like it and can give some good advice.

Sorry for the abrupt ending. I tried to work out how to fade the chord picking out and somehow ended up chopping it off, couldn't get it back sad.gif
Is there a way to fade out the end of a track on a DAW?

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/cw-1

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 11 2015, 08:32 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 11 2015, 09:44 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 11 2015, 07:26 PM) *
Ok, I went with my original idea of the Bmin7 chord and then played over it. I didn't go for a tune exactly, I just stared at the picture and came up with a more atmospheric piece rather than melodic. Hope you like it and can give some good advice.

Sorry for the abrupt ending. I tried to work out how to fade the chord picking out and somehow ended up chopping it off, couldn't get it back sad.gif
Is there a way to fade out the end of a track on a DAW?

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/cw-1

Phil

Nice one Phil! biggrin.gif

What DAW do you use? I use reaper and to fade out a track I just right click it and hit properties and there is a fade in / fade out option.

Every DAW is different though rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 11 2015, 10:07 PM
Thanks Chris.
I use guitar tracks 4 by Cakewalk (Roland). It's nice and simple, 32 tracks and came with THIS

I guess I'll have to read the help files rolleyes.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 11 2015, 11:14 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 11 2015, 09:07 PM) *
Thanks Chris.
I use guitar tracks 4 by Cakewalk (Roland). It's nice and simple, 32 tracks and came with THIS

I guess I'll have to read the help files rolleyes.gif

Cheers

I don't have any experience with it but I did a quick search and saw a thread (not sure if this is what you use):

http://forum.cakewalk.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2241320&p=1

Seems like the easiest way would be to bump the tracks down to one track (render all the tracks into a wav / mp3 file and then import the file back into the DAW so you only have to apply the fade to one track vs every track), set a marker at the point you want the fade to start and then another where you want the fade to end and select the type of fade.

The post were very ambiguous as to where these functions actually are located blink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 12 2015, 08:30 AM
Thanks Chris,
I'll check it out when I get home. I only really need to fade the chord picking track because the other track finishes earlier.
Cheers buddy

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 12 2015, 08:30 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

30 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:58 PM