Warrior Bushido Task 29
Ben Higgins
Aug 10 2012, 09:58 AM
Instructor
Greetings Warriors ! Some of the ice at The Temple has started to melt with the sun but the winds are still as ferocious as ever up here in the wild mountains..

To match the mood of the weather, we're going to delve into some blues territory.

Task 29: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Billy-Gibbons-Style/

You lucky lot. I'd love to learn this lesson. It's got some beautiful notes and the pace is just right, giving you plenty of room to set up those perfect bends and pull offs !

Try and get a nice tone with room for dynamics so that if you pick softly, it sounds quiet and if you pick harder it responds in turn smile.gif

I look forward to hearing your takes in this one cool.gif

Deadline is next Friday 17th August

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 11 2012, 08:48 PM
Instructor
I hope the blues hasn't scared you all into silence ! biggrin.gif

Will be nice to hear some of you having a shot at this if you have the time this week smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 11 2012, 10:30 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 11 2012, 07:48 PM) *
I hope the blues hasn't scared you all into silence ! biggrin.gif

Will be nice to hear some of you having a shot at this if you have the time this week smile.gif

No way dude! wink.gif Gibbons is another one of my favs. Love this lesson and plan to replicate with a coin as well!

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregc1
Aug 11 2012, 11:22 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Here we go Ben. Bushido Blues. ph34r.gif

I did go with the coin as well and I dig the punchy sound but it did cause a couple of unwanted noises here and there but definitely gives it that woody/metallic/bluesy tone.

I, however, was not brave enough to attempt the flip at the end. I'll leave that for the pros. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 12 2012, 09:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Aug 11 2012, 11:22 PM) *
Here we go Ben. Bushido Blues. ph34r.gif

I did go with the coin as well and I dig the punchy sound but it did cause a couple of unwanted noises here and there but definitely gives it that woody/metallic/bluesy tone.

I, however, was not brave enough to attempt the flip at the end. I'll leave that for the pros. biggrin.gif

Oh my ! Who's got a Donut this week then ??

Sounds great ! It looks quite hard to play with a coin, like you have to give it extra clearance when moving your hand from one string to another.

The only thing I'd suggest is that some of the phrases that are quicker could benefit from being even quicker, so they take less time if that makes sense ? They're like little bursts here and there so they need to stab out quickly and then they're gone. But that's all I'd say man because that was a beautiful take cool.gif

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 11 2012, 10:30 PM) *
No way dude! wink.gif Gibbons is another one of my favs. Love this lesson and plan to replicate with a coin as well!

Brilliant !! I look forward to that.. and you're gonna go for the coin as well ! Niiiice biggrin.gif

I must admit, I wasn't expecting you guys to play with a coin as well... so you've extra impressed me ! wink.gif

+Quote Post
gregc1
Aug 13 2012, 03:08 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks for the comments Ben! I know exactly what you mean about making the lines more like bursts. There are a couple parts where that really stands out. I also wished I would have given a bit more attention to the dynamics. I think a couple parts being played a little quieter would have been better to give some more contrast.

The coin was difficult to use, especially when it comes to control. I was actually using an American Nickel which is thicker than our other coins so that wasn't the smartest move. I did like the tone I got from it though, especially for blues.

Another thing I wanted to add, and I've noticed a common theme to Sinisa's lessons. A lot of his timing is up for interpretation, which makes normally easier lessons note-wise tougher. It seems there are only a couple parts that sit right down with the beat, the rest sort of "float" over everything. I learned this lesson the day you assigned it and was ready to record shortly after that. While I recorded I knew I hit all of the notes and was pretty satisfied but when I played it back it was terrible! laugh.gif

Literally sounded like 2 completely different things happening. My guitar didn't feel right at all with the backing. So I went back and played along with Sinisa until I got a little better grasp of what was supposed to be happening. You don't really realize it but it's a very delicate balance that is tough to get right and Sinisa makes it look so natural and easy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 13 2012, 04:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Aug 13 2012, 03:08 PM) *
Another thing I wanted to add, and I've noticed a common theme to Sinisa's lessons. A lot of his timing is up for interpretation, which makes normally easier lessons note-wise tougher. It seems there are only a couple parts that sit right down with the beat, the rest sort of "float" over everything. I learned this lesson the day you assigned it and was ready to record shortly after that. While I recorded I knew I hit all of the notes and was pretty satisfied but when I played it back it was terrible! laugh.gif

Literally sounded like 2 completely different things happening. My guitar didn't feel right at all with the backing. So I went back and played along with Sinisa until I got a little better grasp of what was supposed to be happening. You don't really realize it but it's a very delicate balance that is tough to get right and Sinisa makes it look so natural and easy.

That's a good observation Greg and yes, it's true. Sinisa's really great at doing that too. I would say that whole approach of floating over the beat really came out of the blues all those decades ago and possibly it also came about with guitar players trying to emulate human voices, or other instruments like saxophones in jazz etc.. at least that's how I think it might have came about anyway..? wink.gif

I like to have that element to my playing too.. it also means we can get away with being more loose when improvising smile.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 13 2012, 08:18 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Awesome job on the lesson Greg!

Here is my interpretation of the lesson. Used a quarter myself. wink.gif It does bring a cool and unique tone but I agree it is a little tricky to use. Yeah, I also agree with a lot of your guys points about Sinisa's style and blues playing. I've been looking at it like this... its REALLY hard to carbon copy someone elses style. Specifically with something like this that is more open to feel rather than mechanical type licks. Look forward to your comments.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregc1
Aug 13 2012, 08:35 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Haha, very nice Degroot. Yeah, a quarter would definitely be the way to go. I liked it with the Fender but that coin made the Les Paul sound like a hollow body. Awesome stuff!

You're right too about the interpretation. We played the same notes but our takes sounded pretty dramatically different timing wise, but neither are wrong. Pretty cool and kind of mind blowing when you think about it.

Great point too Ben about "floating". I haven't really thought of it like that but it does mimic a singer or another instrument like a sax that does not typically stay within the beat. That's probably why it sounds so damn good when executed right.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 14 2012, 09:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 13 2012, 08:18 PM) *
Awesome job on the lesson Greg!

Here is my interpretation of the lesson. Used a quarter myself. wink.gif It does bring a cool and unique tone but I agree it is a little tricky to use. Yeah, I also agree with a lot of your guys points about Sinisa's style and blues playing. I've been looking at it like this... its REALLY hard to carbon copy someone elses style. Specifically with something like this that is more open to feel rather than mechanical type licks. Look forward to your comments.

Good morning gentlemen.. this is superb DG, very well executed ! Love the tone as well, although I could have done with just a touch more gain but that's just me though, a matter of taste.

I think you both managed to capture the floating feel very well as it is ! wink.gif

Both you guys really nailed this.. I hope Sinisa is impressed - I definitely am ! cool.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 14 2012, 06:37 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 14 2012, 08:11 AM) *
Good morning gentlemen.. this is superb DG, very well executed ! Love the tone as well, although I could have done with just a touch more gain but that's just me though, a matter of taste.

I think you both managed to capture the floating feel very well as it is ! wink.gif

Both you guys really nailed this.. I hope Sinisa is impressed - I definitely am ! cool.gif

Agreed, my first thought after hearing it back was I could have used a touch more gain. I usually don't play a totally clean tone but wanted to try and get some dynamics with a classic blues tone.

Thanks for the comments! smile.gif Really enjoyed playing this one!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:16 PM