How To Tune Down To D?, Help please
I WILL rock you
Apr 30 2008, 12:51 PM
GMC:er
Hi fokes!

Today im gonna tune down my guitar from the traditional E to D so i can play some metal with my friend whos guitars is tuned in D.
The thing is im not certain of how to tune the guitar properly, iv bought new strings today (.012) and a would very much appreciate some help here! smile.gif
Should i tune the thickest string to D and then tune the other strings after that one? So its D-C-B-A-G-F? or shall i tune it so its D-G-B-E-D-C?

Help please !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
steve25
Apr 30 2008, 12:53 PM
If you're after Drop D everything stays the same except the bass string so it would be from low to high: D A D G B E.

If you're after D standard everything gets tuned down a whole step so from low to high: D G C F A D

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 30 2008, 01:07 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Nothing more to say except that you did something important by getting thick strings, if you use thin strings and tune down your guitar like that the strings will get very sloppy.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
I WILL rock you
Apr 30 2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the fast replies and tips! Your guys great! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 30 2008, 03:28 PM
Instructor
open GP5 and you can tune what you want

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 30 2008, 04:55 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Like Marcus said you got good strings for low tuning..Just make sure with your friends is it dropped D or D standard and than go for it..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 30 2008, 05:55 PM
Instructor
If you have a tuner, tune everything a whole step down from standard tuning. If you don't have tuner find a D on the thickest string and then tune it regular style using the 5th fret.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:08 PM