> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Soaphead's Guitar Works, for gab's army
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 16 2014, 07:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (soaphead @ Feb 16 2014, 02:36 PM) *
Gab.
thanks for your input, i will start on vibrato lesson. Ii see what i been doing wrong with bend now i think i can get the range..
just need to practice.. every time i listen to lesson i pick up something else.. learned alot so far thanks again..

soap

Nice to know that you are learning and enjoying the process. Keep on this positive energy! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
soaphead
Mar 2 2014, 04:26 PM
GMC:er
Gab,
hope all is well..
here is another attempt at picking legato..i slowed it down and i think i got rhythm right..
http://youtu.be/uGGvHMU23R8

thanks,
soap

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 2 2014, 07:01 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, I am now at the bus, I will check your take tonight when I get back home.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
soaphead
Mar 4 2014, 01:44 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 2 2014, 01:01 PM) *
Hi mate, I am now at the bus, I will check your take tonight when I get back home.

must be long bus ride.. biggrin.gif you OK?

soap

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 4 2014, 02:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (soaphead @ Mar 2 2014, 12:26 PM) *
Gab,
hope all is well..
here is another attempt at picking legato..i slowed it down and i think i got rhythm right..
http://youtu.be/uGGvHMU23R8

thanks,
soap

hahaha here I am! You are right! You got the rhythm very good and I can say that most of the lesson has been played tight. Some legato parts sound a bit weak, so focus on your left hand hammering and pull off when you are playing them, trying to do it stronger.
If you continue watching Satriani's video, you will find legato exercise which are very useful. I think that you could dedicate around 5 minutes per day to them.

What other things have you been working during the weekend?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
soaphead
Mar 5 2014, 12:51 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 4 2014, 08:58 AM) *
hahaha here I am! You are right! You got the rhythm very good and I can say that most of the lesson has been played tight. Some legato parts sound a bit weak, so focus on your left hand hammering and pull off when you are playing them, trying to do it stronger.
If you continue watching Satriani's video, you will find legato exercise which are very useful. I think that you could dedicate around 5 minutes per day to them.

What other things have you been working during the weekend?

working on vibrato lesson, having a tough time with it. i think i got the movement right with wrist but only can play the first two phrases right now. i will post video so you can see if i am doing it right.. working on that crazy chord stretch still on picking arpeggios, sometimes i get it other times not.. i think i got 'modern metal' rhythm right slowed it down a bit, the chord stretch i still have a problem with but getting better.
I got my hands on a podhd500x the other week and am messing around with it.. and playing piano a little (can't neglect that!)

soap

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 5 2014, 01:39 PM
Instructor
Excellent. Thanks for the report. Let me know when you think it would be good to refresh your guitar plan.
Keep on the hard work!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
soaphead
Mar 26 2014, 01:52 AM
Gab,
here is attempt at finnish power metal - stratovarious BPM 100
http://youtu.be/ez8mMeSLyM8
i think rhythm is right.. not right ON yet, i rush some parts..little fast for me.. great lesson!

working on vibrato i got it slow right now if i go faster i lose it..
I'll need some more stuff too work on, but i am still got work to do on all the stuff you gave me last time..
so no rush for new stuff..

hope all is well

thanks,
soap

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 26 2014, 01:08 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great to hear from you! Stratovarius lesson is evolving good. I notice that the main issue is that sometimes your riffing goes a bit before the beat but If you note it, this is just a technique issue. Once you feel comfortable with speed, you won't have this problem.
I think that you should continue practicing at this tempo for some more time.

Regarding new stuff, there is no problem with it. We can slowly add lessons that then will replace the old ones. Are you already a bit bored of the same things?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
soaphead
Apr 12 2014, 10:33 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 26 2014, 07:08 AM) *
Hi mate! Great to hear from you! Stratovarius lesson is evolving good. I notice that the main issue is that sometimes your riffing goes a bit before the beat but If you note it, this is just a technique issue. Once you feel comfortable with speed, you won't have this problem.
I think that you should continue practicing at this tempo for some more time.

Regarding new stuff, there is no problem with it. We can slowly add lessons that then will replace the old ones. Are you already a bit bored of the same things?

Hi Gab,
finally getting warm up here i can feel my fingers..haha
here is latest stuff..

modern metal http://youtu.be/DdAIhyJu44c
timing is better i think..still having trouble with stretch chords but getting better

picking legato http://youtu.be/oIjfiUSkyTE
pulloffs are getting better, maybe i should increase speed what ya think?

piano guitar http://youtu.be/u7gclTg1uAc
bending not right yet, last riffs pull offs are not right i think timing is off there..what ya think?

i think i need some more lessons if you have a chance..

thanks,
soap

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 13 2014, 05:47 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great to see you working hard! Let's go with some comments.

QUOTE (soaphead @ Apr 12 2014, 06:33 PM) *
modern metal http://youtu.be/DdAIhyJu44c
timing is better i think..still having trouble with stretch chords but getting better

You've learnt this one very well. There are some things that you have to concentrate to improve this one:

1. Your right hand should be more relaxed and moving a bit more from your wrist and elbow. Try to liberate it a bit to be able to play with more groove and dynamics.
2. The riffs and the connection between parts should be smoother. There are some little silences, or notes that cut too early.
3. Timing & groove. These two things that the most important thing to improve and I think that they are directly related with the previous things that I marked.

picking legato http://youtu.be/oIjfiUSkyTE
pulloffs are getting better, maybe i should increase speed what ya think?

Good job on this lesson! I think that the same details that I marked for the previous lessons are applicable for this lesson but it's not as important here, you are closer with this lesson.

piano guitar http://youtu.be/u7gclTg1uAc
bending not right yet, last riffs pull offs are not right i think timing is off there..what ya think?

You learn the licks correctly for this one and now it's time to focus on two things: timing & feeling. I recommend you to practice this one over the main video to be sure of timing and to imitate a bit the vibrato used there. You will find it very useful.

Also, be careful with your bending technique, there are some bends that don't reach the correct pitch.

i think i need some more lessons if you have a chance..

Sure! We can design a new plan! I will share some lessons that will help you to keep on working the things that I think you have to improve: Timing, Groove, Vibrato, Bending.

Do you have some other techniques in mind?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
soaphead
Apr 14 2014, 11:35 PM
Hi Gab,
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 13 2014, 11:47 AM) *
1. Your right hand should be more relaxed and moving a bit more from your wrist and elbow. Try to liberate it a bit to be able to play with more groove and dynamics.
2. The riffs and the connection between parts should be smoother. There are some little silences, or notes that cut too early.
3. Timing & groove. These two things that the most important thing to improve and I think that they are directly related with the previous things that I marked.

thanks for input on playing.. looking at my video i notice too my right hand not moving much.. but if i move it more i won't be able to keep up with tempo, i will try too loosen up a bit, i remember learning piano and my wrist was not working right with my fingers, my wrist was tooo rigid when i finally loosen up and used my wrist and hand weight i played much faster and stronger..
timing, i didn't think timing was off .. What problem do you hear in timing? maybe rushed notes? i thought i was on the beat..

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 13 2014, 11:47 AM) *
Sure! We can design a new plan! I will share some lessons that will help you to keep on working the things that I think you have to improve: Timing, Groove, Vibrato, Bending.

Do you have some other techniques in mind?

no what you have mentioned is great, eventually i would like to learn some scales(riffs) and improvise a little.. thanks for your help Gab

soap

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 15 2014, 02:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (soaphead @ Apr 14 2014, 07:35 PM) *
Hi Gab,

thanks for input on playing.. looking at my video i notice too my right hand not moving much.. but if i move it more i won't be able to keep up with tempo, i will try too loosen up a bit, i remember learning piano and my wrist was not working right with my fingers, my wrist was tooo rigid when i finally loosen up and used my wrist and hand weight i played much faster and stronger..
timing, i didn't think timing was off .. What problem do you hear in timing? maybe rushed notes? i thought i was on the beat..

no what you have mentioned is great, eventually i would like to learn some scales(riffs) and improvise a little.. thanks for your help Gab

soap

Hi mate! There are some little sections in the riffs which aren't tight, that's why I talk about timing and groove. It's not something big but it's there, I think that it can be maybe a technique issue. For example, from 00:11 to 00:17, there are some moments when it's not tight, at 00:25, 00:45.

Regarding scales and improvisation, I would like to share this tips with you that can be a good guide.

It's a series of things that you should work every day, to slowly improve your improvisations and solo compositions.

+ Learn the Pentatonic Scale (with the blue note) in all positions. It's the basic scale for rock, blues, pop and many other styles so it's a must to learn to play it and how to use it.
+ Learn the Major scale. You should be able to play it in 5 positions, and combine them on each string. Play the scale over a the root chord to hear how each note sounds over it and also try to sing the notes while you play them to incorporate the sound.
+ Patterns: Play both Pentatonic and Major scales using different patterns (in 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths).
+ Play Random notes over backing tracks to hear how each note sounds over the backing. Experiment with different combinations.
+ Learn and experiment with Triads & Arpeggios. Both can help you to avoid playing the same combination of notes that we are used to play when we learn scale shapes and practice them up and down all the time. The arpeggios can include extensions like 6th, 9th, 11th so your soloing can become very rich.
+ Learn new licks every day. It's like learning show phrases of a language. It helps to start a conversation, to start a solo. Learn them, and create your own variations, but always be ready to shot one of them during a solo.
+ Modes: A new world can be open if you expand your knowledge and learn modes and how to use them.
+ Learn and analyze your favorite solos. Learn the licks, the theory behind it, and the structure used.
+ Combine everything over backing tracks.

This list is very wide and can take a whole life to master everything, but if you work on one of these things every day or if we create a routine that covers some of these topics, be sure that you'll be going on the right track.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
soaphead
Apr 15 2014, 07:18 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 15 2014, 08:43 AM) *
Hi mate! There are some little sections in the riffs which aren't tight, that's why I talk about timing and groove. It's not something big but it's there, I think that it can be maybe a technique issue. For example, from 00:11 to 00:17, there are some moments when it's not tight, at 00:25, 00:45.

ok that makes sense..
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 15 2014, 08:43 AM) *
Regarding scales and improvisation, I would like to share this tips with you that can be a good guide.

It's a series of things that you should work every day, to slowly improve your improvisations and solo compositions.

+ Learn the Pentatonic Scale (with the blue note) in all positions. It's the basic scale for rock, blues, pop and many other styles so it's a must to learn to play it and how to use it.
+ Learn the Major scale. You should be able to play it in 5 positions, and combine them on each string. Play the scale over a the root chord to hear how each note sounds over it and also try to sing the notes while you play them to incorporate the sound.
+ Patterns: Play both Pentatonic and Major scales using different patterns (in 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths).
+ Play Random notes over backing tracks to hear how each note sounds over the backing. Experiment with different combinations.
+ Learn and experiment with Triads & Arpeggios. Both can help you to avoid playing the same combination of notes that we are used to play when we learn scale shapes and practice them up and down all the time. The arpeggios can include extensions like 6th, 9th, 11th so your soloing can become very rich.
+ Learn new licks every day. It's like learning show phrases of a language. It helps to start a conversation, to start a solo. Learn them, and create your own variations, but always be ready to shot one of them during a solo.
+ Modes: A new world can be open if you expand your knowledge and learn modes and how to use them.
+ Learn and analyze your favorite solos. Learn the licks, the theory behind it, and the structure used.
+ Combine everything over backing tracks.

This list is very wide and can take a whole life to master everything, but if you work on one of these things every day or if we create a routine that covers some of these topics, be sure that you'll be going on the right track.

ok i like your guide, very thought out. i experimented with penatonic scales a little but in only few positions. i know music theory from playing piano and all the chords and scales and modes, but on guitar is a different story.. whatever you want to start me on is fine.. i like the idea of backing tracks to experiment on with a new mode or scale.. but i am not ready for that yet..maybe more technique like you mentioned and a litltle scale(pentatonic ,modes,major, minor) work would be good what you think? your guide tips will be useful in future.

thanks,
soap

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 16 2014, 01:39 PM
Instructor
Ok, let's start with Major triads, arpeggios and scale. The assignment for this week is to work on this thread's exercises: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=49735

There you will find the info behind major triads, Pentatonic Major scale, Major scale and arpeggios and then a cool backing track where you can apply everything in different keys. As I said in the previous tips, practice the scales paying attention how each note sound, play random notes, apply patterns and try to memorize the shapes in different parts of the neck.

Feel free to record your improvisations and post them here just as a reference. I won't analyze the musical side of this homework.

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
soaphead
Apr 17 2014, 10:48 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 16 2014, 07:39 AM) *
Ok, let's start with Major triads, arpeggios and scale. The assignment for this week is to work on this thread's exercises: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=49735

There you will find the info behind major triads, Pentatonic Major scale, Major scale and arpeggios and then a cool backing track where you can apply everything in different keys. As I said in the previous tips, practice the scales paying attention how each note sound, play random notes, apply patterns and try to memorize the shapes in different parts of the neck.

Feel free to record your improvisations and post them here just as a reference. I won't analyze the musical side of this homework.

What do you think?

thanks Gab, i'll work on it..
soap

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 18 2014, 04:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (soaphead @ Apr 17 2014, 06:48 PM) *
thanks Gab, i'll work on it..
soap

Perfect! Keep me updated. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
soaphead
May 2 2014, 04:47 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 17 2014, 10:56 PM) *
Perfect! Keep me updated. wink.gif

Gab,
working on major tirad arpeggios and major 7th arpeggios over the rhythm track, be learning some pentatonic next.. i will make a video of it soon.. if you have the time could you give me some more metal rhythm and legato picking lessons.. also some more vibrato stuff the lesson you gave me before i am still working on it kills my hand right now, so it's slow going..

thanks,
soap

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 2 2014, 07:33 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Thanks for the update. I'll wait for your video.

Here we go with some lesson suggestions for those topics:

Legato: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonser...Land-Of-Legato/

Rhythm Metal: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-rhythm-lesson/

Vibrato: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Blues-...to-SRV-Style-1/

Let me know if you like these ones.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
soaphead
May 20 2014, 11:56 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 2 2014, 01:33 PM) *
Hi mate! Thanks for the update. I'll wait for your video.

Gab,
here is solo attempt over major chords and penatonic scale and major 7th, learning the shapes and moving around a bit. kind of getting a feel for it..
http://youtu.be/AMIt1YMyUBU

thanks,
soap

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:18 PM