> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Derper's Holy Grail Of Axe Knowledge
Cosmin Lupu
May 5 2012, 09:59 PM
Instructor
Hey man! biggrin.gif AS I said in the PM! Love the Emulator vids! Awesome playing and in the Zelda theme there's that sweet mother of groove part you guys are getting into biggrin.gif YES! That's the thing biggrin.gif

I would focus on the articulation issues wink.gif vibrato especially! In the 'Voice of your guitar' lesson you are generally having a good timing and nive bends but there are certain subtleties which you need to synthesize a bit better smile.gif some sort of little bends. And the vibrato should be long and wide.

I suggest you to try and record over my take by trying to mimic it as best as you can tongue.gif see what comes up, k?

I'm curious to see how you feel it!

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
derper
May 6 2012, 01:11 AM
Learning Tone Master
Interesting.... I will certainly do that! It will be a great way to match speed on vibrato, or hear the clashing consequences!!

Also, I'm working hard on building legato stregth/chops, and starting to learn some "3 note per string" shred shapes. It's old news to most people here, but a new concept to me. Which is why my solos are so LAME in that band!! Argh!! I'll get there. Although I "created" the band, at this point I'm lucky to play with them! They are a powerhouse! It was the 2nd guitaristst first gig with us, which is why he was making mistakes. But an AWESOME player!!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 5 2012, 01:59 PM) *
Hey man! biggrin.gif AS I said in the PM! Love the Emulator vids! Awesome playing and in the Zelda theme there's that sweet mother of groove part you guys are getting into biggrin.gif YES! That's the thing biggrin.gif

I would focus on the articulation issues wink.gif vibrato especially! In the 'Voice of your guitar' lesson you are generally having a good timing and nive bends but there are certain subtleties which you need to synthesize a bit better smile.gif some sort of little bends. And the vibrato should be long and wide.

I suggest you to try and record over my take by trying to mimic it as best as you can tongue.gif see what comes up, k?

I'm curious to see how you feel it!

Cosmin

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 6 2012, 12:18 PM
Instructor
It sounded solid to me, man! Well, don't get tangled into frames dude smile.gif these are elements and I have heard a lot of other interesting elements in your playing in time. That does not mean you suck wink.gif It just means you have to add something else in your playing vocabulary and you have to give yourself time for it smile.gif

Keep me updated and let me know if you want some recommendations biggrin.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
derper
Aug 29 2012, 10:26 PM
Learning Tone Master
Copied from my "I'm back!" thread:

Today, for the first time, I hit Ben Higginseses's "Kirk Hammett" lesson. Not full speed, and I really need to clean it up....but I was surprised at how far I got on it, for one day.

I also re-visited Cosmin's infamous "Vivaldi Winter Arpeggios" riff that I was working on over a month ago. Still, it is NOWHERE NEAR full speed...but, though my time here at GMC I feel like I've grown and changed quite a bit as a guitarist, and it shows when practicing the Vivaldi run. NOT saying that "it shows" because I'm better....but because my technique has changed drastically since when I first started on this. I'm playing way more towards a "classical" grip, my picking has changed, and I'm paying way more attention to the timing and playing clean notes. This actually makes me practice it slower, but it's the only way I will EVER get it up to full-fluid "Coz-speed"!! Watch Cosmin's original lesson to be blown away by how easy he makes it look.

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 30 2012, 10:33 AM
Instructor
Hello there you married man, you! biggrin.gif

Well, it's glad to have you back on track here and I must say that indeed I see progress, comparing these takes with the ones you got when you first arrived here. One thing that I could not help but notice, is the fact that you move your right hand too much - you should focus on a vertical movement rather than on a circular movement like you tend to use. I hope I am making sense here - but practice really, really slowly and focus only on moving vertically, when doing AP - after all it's only up down up down and you're also adding a perpendicular movement somehow, thus creating a sort of a circular all around picking technique which is only wasting your time sad.gif

Let's try the following thing - pick up one, just one of the Winter arpeggios and record it at the slowest possible speed, while focusing on moving your right hand on a vertical axis for AP.

What say you? biggrin.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
derper
Aug 30 2012, 08:56 PM
Learning Tone Master
Great observation, and great advice! I'm sure it will take me a bit to break the old habit, but I'm up for the challenge! So far every bit of advice you've given has helped me improve, so I'll certainly slow it down and focus on picking clean and efficient over 1 arpeggio at a time. As it stands, I'll "never" get to full speed the way that I'm doing it....so it makes sense that, "to go forward, sometimes you have to go BACK" and in this case, meaning that I have to slow it down and simplify it in order to eventually speed it up and shred it.

I'll post results when I get a chance, probably within a week. I'll be incorporating this practice into the tail end of my warmup routine, to ensure that I'm hitting it EVERY day.

Thanks Cosmin! Boy, I really underestimated the difficulty of this lesson originally. You play it so clean and fluid that I never thought I would struggle this much to go full speed. But the results on my playing/picking overall will be GREAT when I eventually get there!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 30 2012, 02:33 AM) *
Hello there you married man, you! biggrin.gif

Well, it's glad to have you back on track here and I must say that indeed I see progress, comparing these takes with the ones you got when you first arrived here. One thing that I could not help but notice, is the fact that you move your right hand too much - you should focus on a vertical movement rather than on a circular movement like you tend to use. I hope I am making sense here - but practice really, really slowly and focus only on moving vertically, when doing AP - after all it's only up down up down and you're also adding a perpendicular movement somehow, thus creating a sort of a circular all around picking technique which is only wasting your time sad.gif

Let's try the following thing - pick up one, just one of the Winter arpeggios and record it at the slowest possible speed, while focusing on moving your right hand on a vertical axis for AP.

What say you? biggrin.gif

Cosmin

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 31 2012, 08:05 AM
Instructor
Hey Gabe - great observations mate! I enjoy working with you because you are tedious and analytical about your playing on the technical side, thing which will only lead to improvement wink.gif

It's a good approach and please keep in mind to minimize all movements and keep the picking trajectory vertical. Ok? I am looking forward to seeing the first video and in the mean time - how is your vibrato my friend? biggrin.gif Out of what I remember, we were talking about this element as well smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
derper
Aug 31 2012, 10:57 PM
Learning Tone Master
Perhaps I will try and get my wife (feels weird saying that) video my picking from a few angles "real-time" to get better suggestions on my technique. I'll also re-demonstrate my thumb problem, which may prohibit me from fully "doing it right"....BUT, if I can grasp the real meaning behind the technique, I can find a way to still attempt for the same results, but perhaps with my own personal "Django-grip" or something. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 31 2012, 12:05 AM) *
Hey Gabe - great observations mate! I enjoy working with you because you are tedious and analytical about your playing on the technical side, thing which will only lead to improvement wink.gif

It's a good approach and please keep in mind to minimize all movements and keep the picking trajectory vertical. Ok? I am looking forward to seeing the first video and in the mean time - how is your vibrato my friend? biggrin.gif Out of what I remember, we were talking about this element as well smile.gif

Cosmin

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 2 2012, 07:56 PM
Instructor
This is a good idea smile.gif I don't think that the thumb is hindering you in this direction - it's just about the fact that you have this way of picking so deep within you, that now it feels totally awkward when you try something else!

Let's see what Mrs. Derper is going to film for you smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 4 2012, 11:21 PM
Learning Tone Master
I ended up shooting a quick vid at work, before working on EMULATOR stuff for our 2 big gigs this month ( biggrin.gif ). Hopefully this will help you to give me some more feedback on my picking inefficiency/"circular" picking that you mentioned in my last video. I THINK I get what you're saying, and am starting to really dissect my picking mechanics more than ever. I guess that's half the battle.

Thanks Coz!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 5 2012, 08:05 AM
Instructor
Gutten morgen there! biggrin.gif

Mate this is starting to look a lot better, but take care and don't move the thumb/ index group - they tend to move a bit by themselves - think of your hand as if it is a big chunk that can only be moved from the wrist. Watch some Petrucci or Andy James vids and you'll see my point exactly.

Anyway, you are most definitely on the right track - how does it feel? I just found myself leaning over to the monitor so I could get to see better when you turned around laugh.gif laugh.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 5 2012, 07:11 PM
Learning Tone Master
Well, I'll be honest and say that it doesn't "feel right" quite yet. I'm still in that new beginning stage of "I can do it 'right' if I concentrate", but it's gonna take some more time to get it to be my "natural" picking stroke.

But, all the feedback is REALLY helping me to focus on what I'm doing wrong/right, so I'm not just dreaming up ways to improve by myself. I will keep working on it, and mixing it in (concentrating on efficient picking) with some of my other routines and warmups, and then it will continue to spread to more and more of my playing!!

I'll keep working, at slower tempos, on the individual arpeggios as you mentioned, and then come back to a more realistic speed. By then, I bet it's smoother, and also that I can play it a bit faster. But I'm not going to rush it.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 5 2012, 12:05 AM) *
Gutten morgen there! biggrin.gif

Mate this is starting to look a lot better, but take care and don't move the thumb/ index group - they tend to move a bit by themselves - think of your hand as if it is a big chunk that can only be moved from the wrist. Watch some Petrucci or Andy James vids and you'll see my point exactly.

Anyway, you are most definitely on the right track - how does it feel? I just found myself leaning over to the monitor so I could get to see better when you turned around laugh.gif laugh.gif

Cosmin

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 6 2012, 03:50 AM
Learning Tone Master
Upon a long hard day of practicing guitar, er, uh....I mean "work", I decided to jokingly take a shot at the vivaldi run full-speed. I was actually surprised at how close I was!! But....the CAMERA BATTERY DIED during the best take!! ARGH!!

Take a gander at what you helped create....

I have a feeling, a REC take is soon withing my reach!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 6 2012, 08:10 AM
Instructor
Awesomeness! Gabe, your approach to taking your right hand on the right path is very good. Stick to being the consistent fellow that you are and it's only going to be better smile.gif The Vivaldi take was very promising! I think that pushing a bit, from time to time, while focusing on being as precise and relaxed as possible and oh, ANTICIPATING your moves, will prove very useful!

Mate, one question - where's Derper coming from? biggrin.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 6 2012, 08:53 AM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks! I realize that full speed is still beyond my reach, but I tried and got closer than I thought. BUT, I got there by scaling back to a very slow tempo and focusing on picking. So I will continue to do that, then bump it up to faster but not quite full speed, so I can actually play it accurately. And THEN go to full speed when I can do it accurately.

Are you asking where the name "Derper" came from? I actually was using a trial account at GMC because my credit card didn't work for some reason, and I was skeptical to try the site. So Bogdan was nice enough to set up a trial account, and the "fake" name I chose was Derper. There is an episode of south park with "derp" and for some odd reason that was the name I chose because I thought I would be able to change it when I signed up....but it stayed with the same name, and I never complained to change it to "audioinjection" which has been my default email/forum name for years.

(Watch til the end for the explanation of Derp)

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 6 2012, 12:10 AM) *
Awesomeness! Gabe, your approach to taking your right hand on the right path is very good. Stick to being the consistent fellow that you are and it's only going to be better smile.gif The Vivaldi take was very promising! I think that pushing a bit, from time to time, while focusing on being as precise and relaxed as possible and oh, ANTICIPATING your moves, will prove very useful!

Mate, one question - where's Derper coming from? biggrin.gif

Cosmin

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 6 2012, 10:50 AM
Instructor
ahahaa, I know the episode tongue.gif I just didn't remember it!

Mate, I wanted to ask - how's your vibrato/ bending doing, eh? smile.gif

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 6 2012, 06:25 PM
Learning Tone Master
Well...I think it's much better, but certainly has a long way to go!!

Hmm....I'm now remembering that you asked me to work on the first "voice of your guitar" lesson that you did. I will try and get back through that today and submit a take. There is certainly some room for improvement there.

Also, I would like to get some feedback on my vibrato for some EMULATOR parts. I will take a video of my practice takes of a few parts in particular (w/backing) to see what feedback you have for vibrato on those parts as well.

Dinaga was kind enough to mention my "rushed" vibrato on early EMULATOR tracks, but also pointed out on a later show that I had improved quite a bit. BUT, I know I can improve MORE with your help!!

Ok, time to get the guitar out. Getting an early start. Eager to get my chops back up, and get back to heavy daily practice routines. I strayed a bit last month for the wedding. But it really was the most stressful part of the wedding....knowing that I was backsliding a bit, on guitar practice. Once you get hooked on your routine, it feels awful to take time away!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 6 2012, 02:50 AM) *
ahahaa, I know the episode tongue.gif I just didn't remember it!

Mate, I wanted to ask - how's your vibrato/ bending doing, eh? smile.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 7 2012, 07:35 AM
Instructor
Eh, I know exactly what you are talking about wink.gif I hate it when life mocks at our desire to become good players...

Anyway, I will most certainly help out with the vibrato and bends too, so send me watcha have biggrin.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 7 2012, 06:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
Very soon. I worked on the "Voice of your Guitar" track a bit yesterday, to refresh my memory on the fingerings and such. Went well, but I still need to go over/memorize it a bit so that I can truly focus on vibrato.

I think, like picking improvement, the vibrato will come along quickly with focus and repetition. Can't wait to make it "natural" at some point.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 6 2012, 11:35 PM) *
Eh, I know exactly what you are talking about wink.gif I hate it when life mocks at our desire to become good players...

Anyway, I will most certainly help out with the vibrato and bends too, so send me watcha have biggrin.gif

Cosmin

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 8 2012, 03:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Sep 7 2012, 05:19 PM) *
Very soon. I worked on the "Voice of your Guitar" track a bit yesterday, to refresh my memory on the fingerings and such. Went well, but I still need to go over/memorize it a bit so that I can truly focus on vibrato.

I think, like picking improvement, the vibrato will come along quickly with focus and repetition. Can't wait to make it "natural" at some point.

Precisely mate wink.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:33 PM