5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Yash Guitar Mentoring
Yash
May 30 2012, 05:26 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ May 22 2012, 06:08 PM) *
Hi! Nice to have you back!
Ok well G major and D major you were correct!
On F major you called the not A# instead of Bb
And on Bb you are very far away!
So let's do that here is the circle of fifth that I would like you to learn!
[attachment=27591:circle_o...or_wheel.jpg]
As you can see if we will move clockwise we will get sharps added opposite way flats
So that's how sharps are added:
F - C - G - D -A - E
Flats are added this way:
B - E - A - D - G - C

Now using this system do the numbers for Bb major scale again!
I would like you to start learning circle of fifths and get more comfortable with it!
Let me know if you have any questions or need help!

Hey Alex, I was wondering that why don't A# and G# exist in the circles ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yash
May 30 2012, 05:58 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ May 29 2012, 06:10 PM) *
It will take a little longer than that to really learn it smile.gif
We will start to get into improvisation a little bit more!
Here is a II - V - I backing track in E minor
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/ii-v-i-jam
This is the track that we will be using for a while and I will give you assignments based on it!
The chords are:
Emi7 - A7 - Dmaj7

Over E mi7 chord I want you to play E dorian mode

Over A7
A minor blues pentatonic

Over D major 7 F# minor pentatonic

Try to be as melodic as possible and

It's tough to know which chords goes on when. They all sound quiet similar, This would need a lot of ear working from me, I don't have a good ear. sad.gif
Can you help me with that too? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
May 30 2012, 07:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Yash @ May 30 2012, 04:26 AM) *
Hey Alex, I was wondering that why don't A# and G# exist in the circles ?

A# and G# sharp do exist!
When A major scale is coming G# is coming along and stays in the circle! smile.gif
A major is the third scale with 3 sharps
F# - C# - G#
A# is coming with B major scale!
It will have 5 sharps
F# - C# - G# - D# - A#

+Quote Post
Yash
May 31 2012, 11:09 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ May 30 2012, 06:36 PM) *
A# and G# sharp do exist!
When A major scale is coming G# is coming along and stays in the circle! smile.gif
A major is the third scale with 3 sharps
F# - C# - G#
A# is coming with B major scale!
It will have 5 sharps
F# - C# - G# - D# - A#

A Major scale is the third scale ??? blink.gif Isn't it supposed to be the first ? The world of theory is so confusing. wacko.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
May 31 2012, 06:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Yash @ May 31 2012, 10:09 AM) *
A Major scale is the third scale ??? blink.gif Isn't it supposed to be the first ? The world of theory is so confusing. wacko.gif

What do you mean third scale?

+Quote Post
Yash
Jun 1 2012, 01:15 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ May 31 2012, 11:22 PM) *
What do you mean third scale?

By third scale I mean third in number. What did you mean ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 2 2012, 12:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Yash @ Jun 1 2012, 12:15 PM) *
By third scale I mean third in number. What did you mean ?

There is no numbers for major scales
If it's major it's major
If you will harmonize any major scale that's what you will get:
M - Major m - minor
M - m - m - M - M - m - Diminished

And for each mode you will have a name
Aeolian - Dorian - Phrygian - Lydian - Mixolydian - Ionian - Locrian

Let me know if it makes sense and if you have any questions!

+Quote Post
Yash
Jun 2 2012, 08:55 AM
I want to integrate this and GMC stuff into my routine.

http://picksnlicks.com/Guitar%20Lessons/Ex..._workout_1.html

But, man, I want to confess something.
I cant stop my creativity. laugh.gif Most of the times during my playing, I tend to get bored with something after sometime and then I start toying around., playing riffs, random soloing etc. tongue.gif
How do I stop it ? sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 2 2012, 08:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Yash @ Jun 2 2012, 07:55 AM) *
I want to integrate this and GMC stuff into my routine.

http://picksnlicks.com/Guitar%20Lessons/Ex..._workout_1.html

But, man, I want to confess something.
I cant stop my creativity. laugh.gif Most of the times during my playing, I tend to get bored with something after sometime and then I start toying around., playing riffs, random soloing etc. tongue.gif
How do I stop it ? sad.gif

Those are good exercises, but I think what I am giving you is better because I know exactly how to do them and will be able to correct you if something will go wrong! I have so many exercises like that to help you develop better technique!
There is no really a solution how to stop noodling smile.gif I think just concentrate on the exercise and make yourself a schedule! So for example you can practice scales for 30 minutes without fooling around and after for 30 minutes play whatever you want!
I hope that will help!

+Quote Post
Yash
Jun 6 2012, 05:40 AM
Hey Alex,

I need to first learn those scales, then try and solo over the backing track you gave me right ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 6 2012, 04:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Yash @ Jun 6 2012, 04:40 AM) *
Hey Alex,

I need to first learn those scales, then try and solo over the backing track you gave me right ?

Yes! If you want I have pretty good exercises that will help you with those scales so you will learn them faster!

+Quote Post
Yash
Jun 6 2012, 05:17 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 6 2012, 08:57 PM) *
Yes! If you want I have pretty good exercises that will help you with those scales so you will learn them faster!

If I want huh.gif Is this something to ask ? smile.gif

Of course I want biggrin.gif Shoot 'em. And could you please give me the details of the post of the training method you posted in the Practice Room. smile.gif

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 6 2012, 08:57 PM) *

If I want ? huh.gif Is this something to ask ? smile.gif

Of course I want biggrin.gif Shoot 'em. And could you please give me the details of the post of the training method you posted in the Practice Room. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 6 2012, 05:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Yash @ Jun 6 2012, 04:17 PM) *
If I want huh.gif Is this something to ask ? smile.gif

If I want ? huh.gif Is this something to ask ? smile.gif

Great! So let's start! smile.gif
This technique will help you to learn all major modes in 7 days!
The easiest key to learn all the modes is G major the reason it is covering the whole neck and all the patterns are very easy to remember!
Here is a G major scale:
G - A - B - C - D - E - F#
It has 7 modes for each note of the scale!
Aeolian - Dorian - Phrygian - Lydian - Myxolydian - Ionian - Locrian
First this you have to understand that the notes will stay the same and nothing will change except of the starting note! Unless you will change the key!

So to start I would like you to learn one mode F# locrian

Learn it well up and down so you don't have to think about the notes when you are playing it!
Tomorrow I will post the next exercise!

This post has been edited by Alex Feather: Jun 9 2012, 06:08 PM

+Quote Post
Yash
Jun 6 2012, 05:27 PM
Okie Dokie, I'll learn this. smile.gif But tomorrow means 24 hours right ?

Because tomorrow is just 2 hours away (its 10:00 PM here) laugh.gif get it ?? biggrin.gif
And thanks for so many stuff. If I get bored, I move onto something else. smile.gif So much to do. But I have a lot of time too wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 6 2012, 05:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Yash @ Jun 6 2012, 04:27 PM) *

Because tomorrow is just 2 hours away (its 10:00 PM here) laugh.gif get it ?? biggrin.gif
And thanks for so many stuff. If I get bored, I move onto something else. smile.gif So much to do. But I have a lot of time too wink.gif

I mean 24 hours LOL!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 8 2012, 06:05 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Yash @ Jun 6 2012, 04:27 PM) *

I would like you to start learning a new shape and than I will give you exercise to combine those and turn it into the licks and exercises!

Here is B phrygian

There is a reason I chose it and I will explain it to you in the next assignment!

+Quote Post
Yash
Jun 9 2012, 05:28 PM
Hey Alex, I have some questions regarding G locrian.

Q1. Do I have to learn the notes progression, the note names or the shape (If its the shape I've done it wink.gif )

Q2. Why does it start with F# and called G locrian ?

What does this line mean

"First this you have to understand that the notes will stay the same and nothing will change except of the starting note! Unless you will change the key! "

And I thought we were learning modes of G major scale. Why did we Jumped to B Phrygian ? And there's a lil stretching involved in that. Give me another day for it please ? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 9 2012, 06:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Yash @ Jun 9 2012, 04:28 PM) *
Hey Alex, I have some questions regarding G locrian.

Q1. Do I have to learn the notes progression, the note names or the shape (If its the shape I've done it wink.gif )

Q2. Why does it start with F# and called G locrian ?

What does this line mean

"First this you have to understand that the notes will stay the same and nothing will change except of the starting note! Unless you will change the key! "

And I thought we were learning modes of G major scale. Why did we Jumped to B Phrygian ? And there's a lil stretching involved in that. Give me another day for it please ? smile.gif

Hi!
1) It is a good idea to learn the note names and combine neck learning with modes learning! I can help you with that if you want!
2) It's my bad! smile.gif Too much G major for me LOL It's actually called F# locrian! Thanks for finding the typo!

What does the line mean:
If you will look at G major scale you will have 7 modes for each note of the scale
Notes of G major scale:
G - A - B - C - D - E - F#

Modes :
G Aeolian - A Dorian - B Phrygian - C Lydian - D Mixolydian - E Ionian - F# Locrian

It will stay in the same order for every major scale starting with a root!
Let's see a different example:
Here is F# locrian scale

And here is B phrygian

If you look carefully nothing changed except of the starting note!
I hope that helps!
You can have as much time as you need! Let me know if you have any questions and when you are ready for the next step! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Yash
Jun 9 2012, 06:32 PM
OH Yes !!! Now I get it. Check if its right. Coreect me if its wrong. wink.gif

First I have the G Major scale with these notes

G A B C D E F#

Then, If I start with A note with the rest of the notes being the same, I get A Dorian, which has the same notes as G major, but in a different order, which is

A B C D E F# G

Now, if I start with B, I get B Phrygian, which is

B C D E F# G A

Starting with C, I get C Lydian

C D E F# G A B

With D, I get D Mixolydian

D E F# G A B C

When I start with E, I get E Ionian - This is also the E Minor Scale, right ?

E F# G A B C D

And Finally, with F, I get F# Locrian

F# G A B C D E

And from what little knowledge I have, I think you interchanged Aeolian and Ionian.

I have G Ionian (aka G Major) and E Aelonian (aka E Minor) smile.gif

Alex, my master, YOU ARE AMAZING, AXE-SOME. Man I never thought I'd learn something so cool, so much so fast. Thanks biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Yash: Jun 9 2012, 06:39 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 9 2012, 06:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Yash @ Jun 9 2012, 05:32 PM) *
OH Yes !!! Now I get it. Check if its right. Coreect me if its wrong. wink.gif

First I have the G Major scale with these notes

G A B C D E F#

Then, If I start with A note with the rest of the notes being the same, I get A Dorian, which has the same notes as G major, but in a different order, which is

A B C D E F# G

Now, if I start with B, I get B Phrygian, which is

B C D E F# G A

Starting with C, I get C Lydian

C D E F# G A B

With D, I get D Mixolydian

D E F# G A B C

When I start with E, I get E Ionian - This is also the E Minor Scale, right ?

E F# G A B C D

And Finally, with F, I get F# Locrian

F# G A B C D E

And from what little knowledge I have, I think you interchanged Aeolian and Ionian.

I have G Ionian (aka G Major) and E Aelonian (aka E Minor) smile.gif

Alex, my master, YOU ARE AMAZING, AXE-SOME. Man I never thought I'd learn something so cool, so much so fast. Thanks biggrin.gif

You are absolutely correct! It is very easy isn't it?
Now I would like you to start learning the shape of B phrygian there is a reason why I chose it I will explain it later! smile.gif
Thank you for the kind words! I am glad you like my teaching! smile.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:34 AM