3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Advanced Bushido Task 3
AK Rich
Feb 13 2012, 04:42 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Feb 12 2012, 03:28 PM) *
Is it weird that I find this Task harder to do with legato? ohmy.gif

Wow! It's funny you say that because today while practicing this I was thinking the same thing biggrin.gif What else seems weird is that I think it was the other way around when I first started practicing it. dry.gif In the beggining I was trying it legato every once in a while to see if I could do the fingering accurately at a higher tempo than I could pick it. I figured if I could finger it accurately up to tempo or close, I could then get the picking to fall into place with more practice playing the metronome game. But today was a different story, the legato seemed harder than picking! blink.gif Hopefully I can get this up to tempo by the dealine, the transition from position 3 to 4 is still my weak link but its getting better. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 13 2012, 05:10 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Probably coz we are practicing too much of AP. smile.gif

Something I am understanding, you know you are perfect when you don't have to think what you are playing. I am nearly there. biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 13 2012, 05:22 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (maharzan @ Feb 12 2012, 07:10 PM) *
Probably coz we are practicing too much of AP. smile.gif

Something I am understanding, you know you are perfect when you don't have to think what you are playing. I am nearly there. biggrin.gif

Right on man awesome!! Rock on!! cool.gif I need Red Bull biggrin.gif
PS: Hey by the way nice job on that last task, its a killer smile.gif

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Feb 13 2012, 07:10 AM

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 13 2012, 08:26 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks AK. It was definitely very tough.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 13 2012, 11:03 AM
Instructor
Morning gentlemen. Good to hear that you're getting on well with your Task.

Morning exercise starts in 5 mins..

20 push ups, 20 crunches, 20 push ups, 20 crunches.. 3 laps of the Temple, star jumps, then another lap of the Temple with a partner on your back. Enjoy ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 13 2012, 12:49 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 13 2012, 04:42 AM) *
Wow! It's funny you say that because today while practicing this I was thinking the same thing biggrin.gif What else seems weird is that I think it was the other way around when I first started practicing it. dry.gif In the beggining I was trying it legato every once in a while to see if I could do the fingering accurately at a higher tempo than I could pick it. I figured if I could finger it accurately up to tempo or close, I could then get the picking to fall into place with more practice playing the metronome game. But today was a different story, the legato seemed harder than picking! blink.gif Hopefully I can get this up to tempo by the dealine, the transition from position 3 to 4 is still my weak link but its getting better. smile.gif

Yeah, I guess we got used to alternate picking and legato requires more strength from the left hand. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 15 2012, 02:42 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Master,

Here is the take I tried today. Noise (too much gain I guess) and then my problem is staccato notes. Can't seem to hold long enough or something I am missing. I really wish to nail this lesson. Please give me some tips. I want hit all those notes loud clear long and precise!

http://soundcloud.com/nazraham/modal-madness-full-ap

Thanks,
Chandra

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 15 2012, 03:32 PM
Instructor
Yo Chandra !

Thanks for the progress update..

One thing that really affects your speed and accuracy with these types of licks is your fretting hand. If you're fretting is not 100% sure where it's going or what finger to use, then even if your pick hits the string at the right time, it may not sound good if your fingers aren't in the right place when the pick hits.

The other thing to try to look at is to use the quarter note counts.. 1, 2 ,3 & 4 of each bar.. try to use those as your reference points and it should make your picking rhythm easier. Perhaps you may even want to slightly pick those notes harder as well. This works for me with pentatonic licks. Hope that helps smile.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 15 2012, 03:42 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks Ben. Will be trying those ideas.

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 15 2012, 06:15 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I think the complication has come coz I am not used to one finger per fret theory when it comes to 2nps. It feels very odd and perhaps this is the first time I am trying it this way. Then I realize that my 2nd/pinky combination isn't that strong (that fast) similarly ring/pinky. I tried the lesson at slow speed just to make sure I hit the right note in time without any mistakes and I am making mistakes. I could do it well at 90% speed but since 2 days I have been doing at 100% speed which has ruined the whole thing. biggrin.gif Its becoming worse everytime, even at 50% speed now. sad.gif I have been to the point where I don't have to think which finger I have to use next. The fingers flow itself which I think is the path to perfection. The only drawback here I think is the response time of my mind and my left fingers. I am still not used to 2nps. Anyway, will practice slowly and make sure I "simulate" the fast tempo (relax right hand/lefthand) so I can easily transpose that to the 100% speed. Hopefully I can submit a better take tomorrow, if not, next week. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cem
Feb 15 2012, 08:50 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (maharzan @ Feb 15 2012, 05:15 PM) *
I think the complication has come coz I am not used to one finger per fret theory when it comes to 2nps. It feels very odd and perhaps this is the first time I am trying it this way. Then I realize that my 2nd/pinky combination isn't that strong (that fast) similarly ring/pinky. I tried the lesson at slow speed just to make sure I hit the right note in time without any mistakes and I am making mistakes. I could do it well at 90% speed but since 2 days I have been doing at 100% speed which has ruined the whole thing. biggrin.gif Its becoming worse everytime, even at 50% speed now. sad.gif I have been to the point where I don't have to think which finger I have to use next. The fingers flow itself which I think is the path to perfection. The only drawback here I think is the response time of my mind and my left fingers. I am still not used to 2nps. Anyway, will practice slowly and make sure I "simulate" the fast tempo (relax right hand/lefthand) so I can easily transpose that to the 100% speed. Hopefully I can submit a better take tomorrow, if not, next week. smile.gif

When you find yourself in situations like this, just get a clean tone and play the whole thing at slowish speed, make sure your get every note right. After, say 30 mins, you will be right back on track.

This post has been edited by Cem: Feb 15 2012, 08:52 PM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 15 2012, 10:33 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (maharzan @ Feb 15 2012, 08:15 AM) *

Man I feel your pain on this Maharzan. I feel as if at times I am going backwards on this and have to start over at a very slow tempo and work it back up again.I have worked myself up to 90% tempo a few times and the first few times thru it is ok but then it just starts to fall apart after that. One thing I have been doing that seems to help get me back on track is to kick back and watch TV while slowly going thru all the patterns without looking. At this point I would be happy in getting a good take at 90% tempo before the deadline.
I have tried it at full tempo and made it thru but its pretty sloppy and nothing I would consider submitting as a take.
I like Cem's suggestion too and will give that a try to see if that helps.

+Quote Post
dark dude
Feb 16 2012, 12:36 AM
GMC:er
Sometimes you simply have bad days, just keep trying to work through it, but don't get overly frustrated - there's no need.

One trick I find helps with fretting hand co-ordination is to fret the notes with as much power as you can (within reason, though). Careful with this one, only do it when warmed-up and stop if it's injuring you. In the same session, I find that it improves! The same trick works for picking - pick hard. However, always go back to practicing with a lighter touch, as efficiency is what you strive for.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 16 2012, 03:42 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks Guys. Your suggestions are very helpful. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 16 2012, 10:02 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Alright I spent sometime last evening doing it really slow and trying to analyze where I was stuck. I found 3 places and still I am finding it difficult. I practiced a lot today slowly and trying to get it running but when I think I fixed one I screw up another. This is the best take I could get today. It feels a lot easier. I tried the pick harder/land harder in both hands it really helped. I am not guessing anymore, the fingers just work for themselves. It feels good.

Perhaps I could do a better take tomorrow but since today's deadline I wanted to submit what I had. Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 16 2012, 11:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Feb 16 2012, 09:02 AM) *
Alright I spent sometime last evening doing it really slow and trying to analyze where I was stuck. I found 3 places and still I am finding it difficult. I practiced a lot today slowly and trying to get it running but when I think I fixed one I screw up another. This is the best take I could get today. It feels a lot easier. I tried the pick harder/land harder in both hands it really helped. I am not guessing anymore, the fingers just work for themselves. It feels good.

Perhaps I could do a better take tomorrow but since today's deadline I wanted to submit what I had. Thanks.

Hey Chandra this is a great take, I would be very happy with it after only a week of practice ! smile.gif

QUOTE (dark dude @ Feb 15 2012, 11:36 PM) *
One trick I find helps with fretting hand co-ordination is to fret the notes with as much power as you can (within reason, though). Careful with this one, only do it when warmed-up and stop if it's injuring you. In the same session, I find that it improves! The same trick works for picking - pick hard. However, always go back to practicing with a lighter touch, as efficiency is what you strive for.

Yes, I would agree whole heartely with this. It's like drawing a map !

The more clearly you draw the map at the beginning, the easier it is to follow. I see the role of our fretting hands as drawing the map, laying out the correct directions. The sae can also apply to the picking hand. When learning something new, sometimes you have to make the movements big and basic, over exaggerated.. just so they can rigister in your head. Once the 'map' has been learned, then you can work on making your technique more normal, light and efficient. smile.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 16 2012, 11:44 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks Ben. Well said about the map too. I have learnt a lot within this week. I know how to hold the pick "correctly", it has improved my stamina (remember it used to fall off). Everybody used to tell, its not about how fast you can play but how slow you can play cleanly. Its amazing how you kind of mess up at slow tempo rather than fast one. You also know where you need to improve when playing slow. I will do that from now on. With only a week of practice from virtually 0 to this is a lot as well. I started with one note per fret theory and it was no where I could do it. I was so used to 1st/3rd or 1st/4th (in task 2) for 2nps, it was becoming harder. I did have that theory for 3nps but 2nps is a totally different thing. I am happy I accomplished that.

Thank you Ben for this wonderful Task series. Looking forward to more challenges!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 16 2012, 11:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Feb 16 2012, 10:44 AM) *
Thanks Ben. Well said about the map too. I have learnt a lot within this week. I know how to hold the pick "correctly", it has improved my stamina (remember it used to fall off). Everybody used to tell, its not about how fast you can play but how slow you can play cleanly. Its amazing how you kind of mess up at slow tempo rather than fast one. You also know where you need to improve when playing slow. I will do that from now on. With only a week of practice from virtually 0 to this is a lot as well. I started with one note per fret theory and it was no where I could do it. I was so used to 1st/3rd or 1st/4th (in task 2) for 2nps, it was becoming harder. I did have that theory for 3nps but 2nps is a totally different thing. I am happy I accomplished that.

Thank you Ben for this wonderful Task series. Looking forward to more challenges!

I'm pleased to hear that you're managing to hold the pick now with no troubles smile.gif

It's so true. I still get that syndrome myself, where I think I can play something but when I slow it down, I'm all over the place !! wink.gif

P.S. PLease check out the little note I've posted here...

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=569737

ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 16 2012, 12:04 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Ha! I am all set master! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 16 2012, 12:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Feb 16 2012, 11:04 AM) *
Ha! I am all set master! biggrin.gif

We all know that you're ready, Chandra. You're running around The Temple laughing at everybody else ! Come and sit down now and behave.. ph34r.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:01 AM