Your Tone With The Dual Resistafier
Smoke and Mirror...
Mar 24 2010, 10:12 PM
GMC:er
Hey Trond,

I've listened to a good bit of your work and I have to say I really love the tones you are getting. I recently got a dual resistafier from R3FX (mostly because of your audio sample on Jim's site) and have been fiddling around with it for a while now. I haven't been able to get the tone you've been getting on tracks like Shun and the audio sample you gave Jim. Any idea what settings you were using? I have the Cab Sim from r3fx too, and I know you were using that. Any post recording processing for your sound demo? I know for Shun you've got some reverb and delay and probably compression going on. Just trying to get the most out of the Dual Resistafier and I think you've got it perfect. Thanks!

-Dan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 25 2010, 05:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Smoke and Mirrors @ Mar 24 2010, 10:12 PM) *
Hey Trond,

I've listened to a good bit of your work and I have to say I really love the tones you are getting. I recently got a dual resistafier from R3FX (mostly because of your audio sample on Jim's site) and have been fiddling around with it for a while now. I haven't been able to get the tone you've been getting on tracks like Shun and the audio sample you gave Jim. Any idea what settings you were using? I have the Cab Sim from r3fx too, and I know you were using that. Any post recording processing for your sound demo? I know for Shun you've got some reverb and delay and probably compression going on. Just trying to get the most out of the Dual Resistafier and I think you've got it perfect. Thanks!

-Dan

Hia smile.gif
The shun tracks are really processed by eq's and similar in Cubase, so they ended up not sounding like the DR at all.. but the audiosample i made is nothing but the DR and the cabsim. No processing or additional effects, well, maybe slight delay on the lead-tracks, but nothing that will change the tone itself.

If i recall right, i had the gain on max, presence on full, treble on about.. 8, mid on about 3 or 5 and bass 5 or 6.

Did you get the cabsimulator with all 3 modes? V1, V2 and Modern? If so, then the V2 will give you the best "metal" sound.
It has a nice mid-scooped ring to it. Modern will work great too, but you might have to lower the mid on the DR to get something similar.

Another cruicial thing is the pickups on the guitar. I've had some really different results with using the same settings on a guitar with EMG's and a Les Paul with passive pickups.
The DR is very EMG friendly and enhances all the frequencies quite nicely. It works well on passives too offcourse, but havent done full testing on that part yet.

What is your setup? Do you connect the DR/cabsim to a soundcard or a cabinet?
And could you get a sample recorded of your dr/cabsim?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Mar 25 2010, 05:05 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Smoke and Mirror...
Mar 25 2010, 10:11 PM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Mar 25 2010, 04:03 AM) *
Hia smile.gif
The shun tracks are really processed by eq's and similar in Cubase, so they ended up not sounding like the DR at all.. but the audiosample i made is nothing but the DR and the cabsim. No processing or additional effects, well, maybe slight delay on the lead-tracks, but nothing that will change the tone itself.

If i recall right, i had the gain on max, presence on full, treble on about.. 8, mid on about 3 or 5 and bass 5 or 6.

Did you get the cabsimulator with all 3 modes? V1, V2 and Modern? If so, then the V2 will give you the best "metal" sound.
It has a nice mid-scooped ring to it. Modern will work great too, but you might have to lower the mid on the DR to get something similar.

Another cruicial thing is the pickups on the guitar. I've had some really different results with using the same settings on a guitar with EMG's and a Les Paul with passive pickups.
The DR is very EMG friendly and enhances all the frequencies quite nicely. It works well on passives too offcourse, but havent done full testing on that part yet.

What is your setup? Do you connect the DR/cabsim to a soundcard or a cabinet?
And could you get a sample recorded of your dr/cabsim?

Trond,

Yes I bought the 3 way toggle on the cabsim. I assume that by V2 you mean blend? I think its a combination of the two. I know vintage offers a midboost, modern offers a midscoop and Blend i think is a combination of the two. It really does give a nice metal tone.

As for my setup, I'm playing an Epiphone Les Paul custom, (i replaced the treble pickup with a seymour duncan invader...not sure how that compares to an EMG, but i know the invader is a pretty hot pickup) into a Marshall AVT50. But my setup for recording direct would just be whatever pedals I'm using into the cabsim, into either a mixer and then a lightsnake cable to the computer, or into a Tascam USB interface. For software, Cubase LE, which i'm not too knowledgeable about. I will check out your tutorial about that. I will see if I can get a sample recorded at some point.

Oh and one more thing...is this correct for Shun?

E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E
E||-----------------------------|-----------------------------|
B||-----------------------7--8--|---------------10--12--8-----|
G||*----------------------------|---------7-------------------|
D||*---------9-----10-----------|------9-----9----------------|
A||---7--10-----7------7--------|--10-------------------------|
E||-----------------------------|--------------------------8--|

E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E 4x
------------------------------|----------------------------------||
------------------------------|----------------------------------||
----------------9------11-----|----------11------12--11--9------*||
---------7--------------------|---------------------------------*||
------9-----------------------|------12--------------------------||
--10--------10-----10------8--|--10----------10-------------10---||

Not sure about the fingering, there is probably a much more efficient way to play it. Not sure about the chords either.

I really like this song and couldn't find a tab for it anywhere. Is there one out there that I just missed?

Thanks
-Dan

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 25 2010, 11:45 PM
Instructor
Ah, must have put new names on the modes. V2 is a blend, so i guess blend is a terrific name smile.gif
The invaders should play quite nice on the DR.

The notes for Shun are almost correct! But there's a much more efficient way to play this. Here's how i do it:

|-------------2h3-|---------5/7---|------------------|-------------------|
|---------5-------|-------------8-|-----------5----7-|-----------8p7-----|
|---4-5-----------|-0-4-7-0-------|------------------|-----4/7-------9---|
|-2-----2---2-----|---------------|-----4/7-0---0----|---------0-------0-|
|-----------------|---------------|-3h5--------------|-3h5---------------|
|-----------------|---------------|------------------|-------------------|

Do you need the tab for any of the other parts? Would be happy to type them down smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Smoke and Mirror...
Mar 26 2010, 12:12 AM
If you can just tell me your chords and strum pattern that would be fantastic smile.gif

Oh and maybe the last lead part before the intro ends and goes to the verses?

Thanks so much!

This post has been edited by Smoke and Mirrors: Mar 26 2010, 09:33 AM

+Quote Post
Smoke and Mirror...
Mar 30 2010, 03:09 PM
Also I was wondering what sorts of things you do with Cubase to process your lead tone the way you do. (once again the lead in the intro of Shun)

Thanks!

-Dan

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 31 2010, 12:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Smoke and Mirrors @ Mar 30 2010, 04:09 PM) *
Also I was wondering what sorts of things you do with Cubase to process your lead tone the way you do. (once again the lead in the intro of Shun)

Thanks!

-Dan

Usually i dont do that much to the guitartracks except for the basic built-in delay in Cubase. I think it's perfect and the easiest to control delay there is. Most people seems to ignore it all together and use much more expensive delays instead.

Other than that, i use a vst called T-Racks on all guitar-tracks at once through the main mixer. It's got a compressor/limiter, EQ and stereoenhancer in the same tool, so you save some machine-resources on that.

But, i think i also used the BBE Sonic Maximizer on the Shun-lead.. cant remember but i switch that one on sometimes.
The BBE doesnt really alter the tone though, but you do hear a difference in the high and low frequencies.

Hope this helps smile.gif

Oh, and I'm working on writing all of shun to a GP-file, so thats why the delay for the tab smile.gif

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Mar 31 2010, 12:46 AM

--------------------

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Smoke and Mirror...
Apr 12 2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks Trond. smile.gif

Keep me posted about the Guitar Pro file. I'd love to take a look.

-Dan

+Quote Post
Smoke and Mirror...
Apr 25 2010, 09:06 PM
Any updates Trond?

I'm really excited to keep working on this one and I have the basic lead riff down pretty well.

Thanks! smile.gif

-Dan

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:53 AM