Exotic Scales - Lydian Dominant
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 24 2007, 07:01 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Exotic Scales - Lydian Dominant

The Lydian Dominant is mode IV of the Melodic minor scale. It is so named because it looks like a regular Lydian mode scale with a flattened 7th (flattened 7th makes a scale or chord Dominant).

Another Jazz scale, and according to our own Ben Howell, its main use is over an unresolving dominant chord i.e. a vamp or similar.

Number of tones : 7

Intervals : 2,2,2,1,2,1,2

Formula : 1,2,3,#4,5,6,b7

Characteristic Chords : 7,7b5

Attached Image

Attached File  LydianDominant.mp3 ( 158.51K ) Number of downloads: 1088

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Apr 1 2008, 12:16 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Anastasio123
Jun 27 2007, 06:14 AM
GMC:er
definitely has an "unresolved" feel to it but what is a "vamp" and "similar"?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 27 2007, 01:48 PM
QUOTE (Anastasio123 @ Jun 27 2007, 01:14 AM) *
definitely has an "unresolved" feel to it but what is a "vamp" and "similar"?

A Vamp is a chord or small sequence of chords that repeats endlessly, or at least for a long time (similar to an Ostinato in classical music). It can be used as a background for improvisation, or just as an introduction to the rest of the piece.

In the case of Lydian dominant, the feeling of unresolvedness comes from the flattened 7th - we are used to hearing the mixolydian played in passing over a V chord so our ears expect the scale to resolve to something else. The Lydian dominant also has the flattened 7th wich gives it this same kind of instability. In fact you could also think of the Lydian dominant as a Mixolydian scale with a sharpened 4th.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Luke667
Mar 29 2008, 05:27 AM
GMC:er
what are all the modes of the melodic minor scale?

+Quote Post
Nick Kellie
Mar 29 2008, 10:14 AM
Instructor
MELODIC MINOR

I MELODIC MINOR

Chord type MIN/MAJ 7

II DORIAN b2

Chord type MIN 7

III LYDIAN #5

Chord type MAJ 7 #5

IV LYDIAN b7

Chord type DOM 7

V MIXOLYDIAN b6

Chord type DOM 7

VI AEOLIAN b5

Chord type MIN 7 b5

VII ALTERED (SUPER LOCRIAN)

Chord type ALT DOM (and MIN 7 b5)

+Quote Post
Nick Kellie
Mar 29 2008, 10:18 AM
Instructor
one correction to your lesson andrew - you say that lydian dominant goes with m7b5 chord - this is not true. It goes with 7b5 chords or just straight dominant 7 chords. No minor 3rd in there.

regards,
nick

This post has been edited by Nick Kellie: Mar 29 2008, 08:01 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 1 2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks Nick, corrected!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:45 PM