> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Socky42's Cover Ups
Socky42
Oct 5 2014, 12:39 AM
GMC:er
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/lp-mix-test

Hey mate, got a lot more university work this year than expected so i've gotta put guitar stuff on hold. laugh.gif
Might as well post what i've got since I don't think you've heard the main solo yet, it's at 1:35. Not too sure about the harmonized lead-in though.

Lemme know what you think and if there's anything in the mix that needs fixing. Hopefully I can finish the video by the end of the month.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 5 2014, 07:56 PM
Instructor
Hey matey, welcome back!

After listening to it again with a fresh mind, I liked it a lot, but the mix sounds a bit too crowded to me - mind you that I am listening on the laptop, not on the monitors, so that may be a bit deceiving.

Otherwise, the first solo has some parts which could be played cleaner in respect to execution around 0:42 - 0:46, but otherwise, the second one is pretty amazing with the harmonized intro! I like it! biggrin.gif So, let's see the video then and if I may ask - are you planning to promote this strongly or what do you intend to do with it? And how about that competition you were in? We need to catch up smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Socky42
Oct 6 2014, 12:30 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 5 2014, 07:56 PM) *
Hey matey, welcome back!

After listening to it again with a fresh mind, I liked it a lot, but the mix sounds a bit too crowded to me - mind you that I am listening on the laptop, not on the monitors, so that may be a bit deceiving.

Otherwise, the first solo has some parts which could be played cleaner in respect to execution around 0:42 - 0:46, but otherwise, the second one is pretty amazing with the harmonized intro! I like it! biggrin.gif So, let's see the video then and if I may ask - are you planning to promote this strongly or what do you intend to do with it? And how about that competition you were in? We need to catch up smile.gif

Had a listen on my laptop speakers too, the mix translated a lot better than I thought it would. But yeah, I can definitely work on clearing it up a bit. Think it's mainly the rhythm guitars getting in the way.

If I have time i'll give re-recording the first solo a try but I don't think I can improve on it much right now; still a bit sloppy from the break. laugh.gif

Didn't win the competition unfortunately, but I was in the judging phase and know Devin Townsend listened to it.

Dunno about promoting other than the obvious; YouTube subscribers, facebook page etc. I think Chester from the band is semi-active on twitter and interacts with fans on there every now and then; so tweeting the video at him is worth a try.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 6 2014, 08:08 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif Wow, it's cool to hear that Chester is THAT involved with communicating with his fans. I don't know how many artists are really taking care of their own accounts on social media. So, big up for Chester!

Anyway, it seems that my ears are not dead yet laugh.gif So, my suggestion here is to try and clean up the mix a bit and maybe take some time to practice that solo some more, because if you want to have the video done and especially present it to Chester, I guess you would want it to be in tip top shape, right? smile.gif So, slow things down a bit and practice it at a low tempo until you can play it relaxed, articulated and clean.

What else have you been working on?

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Oct 6 2014, 08:09 AM

+Quote Post
Socky42
Oct 21 2014, 06:36 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 6 2014, 08:08 AM) *
Hey mate smile.gif Wow, it's cool to hear that Chester is THAT involved with communicating with his fans. I don't know how many artists are really taking care of their own accounts on social media. So, big up for Chester!

Anyway, it seems that my ears are not dead yet laugh.gif So, my suggestion here is to try and clean up the mix a bit and maybe take some time to practice that solo some more, because if you want to have the video done and especially present it to Chester, I guess you would want it to be in tip top shape, right? smile.gif So, slow things down a bit and practice it at a low tempo until you can play it relaxed, articulated and clean.

What else have you been working on?

Still haven't had much time to play guitar unfortunately, but I have two more planned covers after this one; Apologize by OneRepublic and Starships by Nicki Minaj. Got a basic structure down for both but nothing recorded yet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 22 2014, 07:46 AM
Instructor
Hey bro! Looking forward to see the final video version for the LP tune wink.gif Hmmm - these guys have done amazing cover versions of One Republic's 'Apologize' - check them out, maybe they are good for inspiration:

These are both featuring voals as well, but I think that the vocal layering in the first one could be of interest to you wink.gif

+Quote Post
Socky42
Nov 23 2014, 07:22 PM
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/idea

Here's a rough intro for a song idea; it's only the main/chorus melody right now. It'll probably cut into a verse part where I stop playing the lead. (Around 0:27)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 24 2014, 11:11 AM
Instructor
Hey buddy smile.gif A bit too heavy metal for my taste, but it sounds good nevertheless!

It's indeed too long and I'd cut it even shorter if you ask me smile.gif It all depends on the structure that follows, of course smile.gif What do you have in mind in respect to that?

+Quote Post
Socky42
Nov 27 2014, 02:14 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 24 2014, 10:11 AM) *
Hey buddy smile.gif A bit too heavy metal for my taste, but it sounds good nevertheless!

It's indeed too long and I'd cut it even shorter if you ask me smile.gif It all depends on the structure that follows, of course smile.gif What do you have in mind in respect to that?

It'll just be another instrumental track; so something like intro -> verse idea a -> verse idea b -> solo -> verse c -> outro. Guess the biggest challenge is having some sort of 'theme' throughout but at the same time, not be too repetitive.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 27 2014, 08:35 AM
Instructor
Hmmm smile.gif You already have the intro part - why not try to use this one as a main theme and maybe develop it a little bit further, in order to polish it a bit? It's always easier and more surefooted to begin with something you have smile.gif Will there be no 'chorus'?

+Quote Post
Socky42
Dec 11 2014, 12:46 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 27 2014, 07:35 AM) *
Hmmm smile.gif You already have the intro part - why not try to use this one as a main theme and maybe develop it a little bit further, in order to polish it a bit? It's always easier and more surefooted to begin with something you have smile.gif Will there be no 'chorus'?

Right..choruses..I'll figure something out. laugh.gif

Finished filming the video btw, just need to upload it now. Here's a sneak peek, first time filming at night turned out pretty cool!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 11 2014, 10:37 AM
Instructor
Hey bro!

Pretty cool, is an understatement! biggrin.gif It looks stunning - I'm also looking forward to see the video wink.gif

+Quote Post
Socky42
Dec 13 2014, 07:03 PM
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/apologize-idea

Here's a midi intro idea for the Apologize cover. Do you think the main riff is too repetitive? Right now I have the same thing going up to the chorus, so after the soundcloud file ends, it repeats itself.

I want it to be interesting but at the same time, the lead/vocal melody is going to be the focus anyway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 14 2014, 01:37 PM
Instructor
Hey bro - I liked the idea of the groove in the beginning - it has a shuffle pulse smile.gif Why not use it in the entire song? It will not only make things sound more interesting but it will also bring the whole cover a different rhythmic approach!

+Quote Post
Socky42
Dec 14 2014, 03:11 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 14 2014, 12:37 PM) *
Hey bro - I liked the idea of the groove in the beginning - it has a shuffle pulse smile.gif Why not use it in the entire song? It will not only make things sound more interesting but it will also bring the whole cover a different rhythmic approach!

https://soundcloud.com/socky42/apologize-bridge

Hmm, I do have this piano break and bridge section done...But I like the contrast between metal and electronic 'themes'; when it's upbeat have the rock/metal stuff go on. When it's slower, have all the pads and synths with electro drums.

There's a guy called Mike Verta (http://mikeverta.com/), he composes for films etc. One of the things he goes on about in his lessons is having the audience being able to connect with certain patterns/themes; be it rhythmic, melodic or whatever. Just something consistent.

And I don't think I can keep the shuffle thing interesting for the whole song.

Sorry for using midi btw, just a lot easier to tweak. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Socky42: Dec 14 2014, 03:14 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 15 2014, 05:11 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif

I like the combination too - that's why I think I resonate so much with your style and work wink.gif I like the idea, but I would enrich it a bit more, with ambiental sounds - some pads maybe, which will make it sound dreamier - otherwise, it will sound too close to the main line I think. So, you will stick to keeping the shuffle in the intro?

The guy is right! That's the idea of catchiness, I think? Everyone can remember a famous song with a catchy theme/ chord progression - see Long train running from the Doobie Brothers - that one has a VERY well known chord progression biggrin.gif It would be interesting to take this idea and put it into practice under the form of building a theme in your cover - what do you think?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Socky42
Dec 15 2014, 07:48 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 15 2014, 04:11 PM) *
Hey mate smile.gif

I like the combination too - that's why I think I resonate so much with your style and work wink.gif I like the idea, but I would enrich it a bit more, with ambiental sounds - some pads maybe, which will make it sound dreamier - otherwise, it will sound too close to the main line I think. So, you will stick to keeping the shuffle in the intro?

The guy is right! That's the idea of catchiness, I think? Everyone can remember a famous song with a catchy theme/ chord progression - see Long train running from the Doobie Brothers - that one has a VERY well known chord progression biggrin.gif It would be interesting to take this idea and put it into practice under the form of building a theme in your cover - what do you think?

Cosmin

Yeah, i'm definitely still using the same intro from the first clip, i'll work on the ambience a bit with pads, synths and mess around with some more delayed clean guitars.

If you get a chance, you should check out the first 8 minutes of this video. He explains composing and connecting with the listener in a very interesting way, really changed the way I think about writing. Granted he's talking about film/tv scores but I think the same concepts still apply.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 16 2014, 11:47 AM
Instructor
Hey mate - thank you for the video - I shall definitely watch it and as it just came to me - the direction that I had in mind about the pads and ambiental atmosphere, revolves a bit around the direction of this song here:

What do you think? smile.gif I too aim on experimenting with more electronic sounds let's say and I'm aiming to nail a first video in this direction soon enough smile.gif So, what will the final structure look like for this cover?

+Quote Post
Socky42
Dec 20 2014, 03:19 AM
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/apologize-bridge-wip

Here's what I have now with and without the midi vocal line for the bridge. Originally, I had the panning clean guitar after every chord (e.g. 1:15); but with the vocal melody, the piano and the pads, I think it starts to get a bit messy. Do you think it's too much at 0:32?

Clean guitars are real btw. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 16 2014, 10:47 AM) *
So, what will the final structure look like for this cover?

Intro and Verse (from the first soundcloud link) -> Chorus -> Bridge -> Solo -> Chorus -> Piano Outro

Technically, the bridge section is the verse again but with the ambient theme. The bridge from the original isn't that great; it's just some electric guitar thing.

And transitioning from the bridge to solo is going to be the same as my Numb cover, harmonized run into the solo.

This post has been edited by Socky42: Dec 20 2014, 03:25 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 20 2014, 09:58 AM
Instructor
NO WAY! Don't change anything man! I simply LOVE it - that intervention at 0:16 is so sweet! Great work! biggrin.gif I am really excited about this one as it's very musical and balanced. I also think that the structure makes sense for an isntrumental version - too many repetitive parts would be boring! You are well on your way, man! I am really proud and looking forward on the outcome!!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:03 PM