18 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 >  
Announcement : Gmc Senior Members
blindwillie
Apr 23 2008, 10:07 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 23 2008, 01:18 AM) *
I have always felt this was a bad idea. And if this designation should be used, it should be used only for those who have demonstrated prowess with the guitar on a level equal or near equal to a teacher, and who are helpful. Pretty hard to be helpful when you don't know squat. And until you know enough that you don't even really need this site, you don't know squat.

edit: I don't know squat myself, by that criteria. And it does not stop me from saying my 2 cents at times. However I know that I don't know squat. When a person sees the tag senior, it should mean EXPERT on guitar, imply that. That is my issue with this, making this another popularity contest. The most helpful people are not always the most popular. In fact, I think that is generally the case.

I agree with much of this, even though as Andrew says this might be more of a community-related label than a "skill grade".
Nevertheless they get a more authorative role with the label.

A side effect is that those who are "promoted" seems to take less part in the forums than before.
Also I see a risk of them feeling they have to be "lojal" to Kris instead of being just a part of the community.
I'm not accusing anyone or anything, just saying I'd rather see them as any other contributor.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 23 2008, 12:01 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Apr 23 2008, 05:07 AM) *
I agree with much of this, even though as Andrew says this might be more of a community-related label than a "skill grade".
Nevertheless they get a more authorative role with the label.

A side effect is that those who are "promoted" seems to take less part in the forums than before.
Also I see a risk of them feeling they have to be "lojal" to Kris instead of being just a part of the community.
I'm not accusing anyone or anything, just saying I'd rather see them as any other contributor.

Interesting comments - the comment about seniors appearing less often on the forum is puzzling, and certainly isn't cause and effect. The intention is that by giving them a rank that they continue to contribute in the way that they have been - I don't really see why making someone a senior would also make them contribute less in the forum? Sadly, this hasn't worked for a couple of our Seniors, and we see them a lot less than we would like to (and a lot less than when they were selected as Seniors, since strong forum presence is one of the criteria).

Secondly about support - I would suggest that you got this backwards, at least in part. Kris selects Seniors for many reasons, but a big part of it is their attitude and support for GMC, so this loyalty is self selecting. I agree though that its probably boosted by the realization of their seniorhood.

The point about Seniors is that we couldn't run GMC without them. The forum and all of its activities are now so diverse that we need help to keep all these balls in the air - and most Seniors are contributing one way or another here, even if it is behind the scenes.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 23 2008, 12:19 PM
I am kind of neutral with the senior members. I believe they should exist but some of them have disappeared since becoming senior members. I think The Uncreator, Smells, mattacuk type members fully deserve their seniority but if you haven't been on the site for a year surely you should no longer be a senior member? That isn't being part of a community. People like MickeM and tonymiro also deserve it.

I think DeepRoots is always helpful round the forum and he has helped me out with theory and many others. He is on here pretty much every day and always offers a high quality of post. He definitely deserves seniority.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 23 2008, 12:24 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Apr 23 2008, 03:19 AM) *
I am kind of neutral with the senior members. I believe they should exist but some of them have disappeared since becoming senior members. I think The Uncreator, Smells, mattacuk type members fully deserve their seniority but if you haven't been on the site for a year surely you should no longer be a senior member? That isn't being part of a community. People like MickeM and tonymiro also deserve it.

I think DeepRoots is always helpful round the forum and he has helped me out with theory and many others. He is on here pretty much every day and always offers a high quality of post. He definitely deserves seniority.

+1 biggrin.gif I remember the first day DeepRoots joined the site I asked him what he was playing on and sent me an immediate answer right back biggrin.gif . Awesome Dude cool.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Apr 23 2008, 12:32 PM
Get to da Chopper!
laugh.gif

Hey guys you're making me realize that maybe i do spend quite a bit of time on here.....shouldn't i be working right now?

The answer is sadly yes sad.gif

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 23 2008, 12:41 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Apr 23 2008, 07:32 AM) *
laugh.gif

Hey guys you're making me realize that maybe i do spend quite a bit of time on here.....shouldn't i be working right now?

The answer is sadly yes sad.gif

I know. I'm doing my morning routine before I head out and I'm listening to brothers in arms again thanks to muntahunta's thread, waiting for it to end then im quickly going to brush my teeth and dash out to the car biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Iluha
Apr 23 2008, 12:41 PM
I suggest that we stop this "I think this one should get seniorised, and that other one" type of posts, and keep that decision in the hands of Kris and Andrew..
Don't get me wrong, I agree that Deeproots is a great helpful member, but so are many, many others, I would make a list of who I think is worthy.. but it's way too long.

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Apr 23 2008, 12:48 PM
Learning Roadie
You did not desert me
My brothers in arms

.... AWESOME!

anyways, i agree with Iluha to an extent, andrew and kris should take in everyones opinion on people who could be a senior but they couldnt do that if they stopped the posts... even though alot of people think everyone should be a senior tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
chast
Apr 23 2008, 12:48 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Iluha @ Apr 23 2008, 01:41 PM) *
I suggest that we stop this "I think this one should get seniorised, and that other one" type of posts, and keep that decision in the hands of Kris and Andrew..
Don't get me wrong, I agree that Deeproots is a great helpful member, but so are many, many others, I would make a list of who I think is worthy.. but it's way too long.

Good point, I also think Andrew and Kris should decide this.
But if Jord is going to be a senior member, it's a good decision then. Helpful guy, and we have something in common, we are very good at french *cough* wub.gif
And we both like Mr. Petrucci tongue.gif

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Apr 25 2008, 10:29 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 23 2008, 01:01 PM) *
Interesting comments - the comment about seniors appearing less often on the forum is puzzling, and certainly isn't cause and effect. The intention is that by giving them a rank that they continue to contribute in the way that they have been - I don't really see why making someone a senior would also make them contribute less in the forum? Sadly, this hasn't worked for a couple of our Seniors, and we see them a lot less than we would like to (and a lot less than when they were selected as Seniors, since strong forum presence is one of the criteria).

Secondly about support - I would suggest that you got this backwards, at least in part. Kris selects Seniors for many reasons, but a big part of it is their attitude and support for GMC, so this loyalty is self selecting. I agree though that its probably boosted by the realization of their seniorhood.

The point about Seniors is that we couldn't run GMC without them. The forum and all of its activities are now so diverse that we need help to keep all these balls in the air - and most Seniors are contributing one way or another here, even if it is behind the scenes.

Yes I fully understand that. I'm not as active as before myself. Trying to put more time on playing instead smile.gif
I'm just trying to say "I miss you guys" tongue.gif

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 25 2008, 03:13 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Apr 23 2008, 11:07 AM) *

Hey, I wish you'd only take me off of your ignorelist so you could see all the posts I make
wink.gif

Sometimes real life gets priority over GMC, whether it's work, home improvement, school, family, illness or whatever there sure can be periods when Seniors are gone for a while.

I'm just afraid that someday it will happen to me too. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 1 2009, 09:44 PM
Learning Tone Master
Anyone noticed that nobody go *promoted* to be a Senior Member for almost a year!?!?!

Last one was Fran in November 08 as far as I remember...are there too many senior members or was there simply nobody who deserved this rank?

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 1 2009, 09:47 PM
Instructor
Spot on, who's the next? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 1 2009, 10:25 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 1 2009, 12:44 PM) *
Anyone noticed that nobody go *promoted* to be a Senior Member for almost a year!?!?!

Last one was Fran in November 08 as far as I remember...are there too many senior members or was there simply nobody who deserved this rank?

There is no pre-set number of possible Senior members, Nor is it an annual event or anything like that. We have had the forums going steady and been busy planning some stuff that most of you don't know about yet smile.gif Some awesome improvements that are taking a lot of peoples time and efforts up.

Plus promotion to senior is about what you do rather than either longevity or just an event, so maybe we have raised the bar a bit? cool.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 1 2009, 11:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Aug 1 2009, 11:25 PM) *
There is no pre-set number of possible Senior members, Nor is it an annual event or anything like that. We have had the forums going steady and been busy planning some stuff that most of you don't know about yet smile.gif Some awesome improvements that are taking a lot of peoples time and efforts up.

Plus promotion to senior is about what you do rather than either longevity or just an event, so maybe we have raised the bar a bit? cool.gif

I do think it was also stated somewhere, clearly, that it does not take a certain amount of posts or length of stay at the forum to become a senior member. A forumer "earns" it through helpful posting, keeping the forum environment friendly etc. I can't remember it completely. laugh.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 1 2009, 11:21 PM
Instructor
I would say voting is at hand biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 2 2009, 02:10 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 1 2009, 06:07 PM) *
I do think it was also stated somewhere, clearly, that it does not take a certain amount of posts or length of stay at the forum to become a senior member. A forumer "earns" it through helpful posting, keeping the forum environment friendly etc. I can't remember it completely. laugh.gif

Absolutely! Its all about attitude, and very little about the number of posts (although you do have to be a regular poster to be noticed!)

Yes, it's been a while - lets see what we can do to fix that.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 9 2016, 01:32 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Just found this, browsing the forum while my wife is in at the physio getting her back fixed sad.gif

I think this is a great idea, it shows the community spirit of GMC and the altruism of Kris.

I would like to nominate Mertay if nominations are considered.

He tirelessly helps everyone and is one knowledgeable gentleman.

Thanks again for a great site folks, and that goes to staff and members alike smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 9 2016, 07:15 PM
I would like to second the vote for Mertay!!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 9 2016, 07:32 AM) *
Just found this, browsing the forum while my wife is in at the physio getting her back fixed sad.gif

I think this is a great idea, it shows the community spirit of GMC and the altruism of Kris.

I would like to nominate Mertay if nominations are considered.

He tirelessly helps everyone and is one knowledgeable gentleman.

Thanks again for a great site folks, and that goes to staff and members alike smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 10 2016, 10:43 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I would like to third the vote for Mertay smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:29 AM