2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Turning Off The Posting Counter In The Introduction Forum
skennington
Jul 8 2009, 02:31 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
I personally feel that whether a simple "welcome to GMC" or a 500 word reply goes a long way with a new member. Makes them feel more at home and better about there decision to join. It also adds to the "friendly" environment here that makes GMC a bit more special than other site's.

I typically read the post from my email that is sent when they post it, then click the link and reply. So, although I may only be in the thread for a few seconds, I have read the intro. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by skennington: Jul 8 2009, 02:33 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Skalde
Jul 8 2009, 04:00 PM
Learning Roadie
Look at it this way:
It seems like we all can agree that a short message lile "welcome to GMC" is fine, the logical conclusion is that disabling the fast reply button makes no sense.
We would have a similiar discussion if I had suggested to turn of the fast reply button, but since it was removed from the start noone questions the decision.
Let's say the post count for this board would be missing for this particular board from the beginning most of you would think "I can agree with this, it makes sense"
So I suggested to turn of the post count since it would go a long with a previous decision.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 8 2009, 05:06 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 7 2009, 07:49 PM) *
Sad panda that I am I try and read all the forum posts, including the Introductions and Welcomes and so I think I have a reasonable overview of the forum.

My personal opinion here...

- I agree with Berko. If someone wants to add a welcome, belated or otherwise, then I don't see any real harm in it.

To me generally however quality is more interesting than quantity. The posts that tend to catch my attention tend to be ones that contribute something meaningful. If they don't then they tend to wash over me (apart from any that need me to put my moderator's hat on wink.gif ). Similarly I tend nowadays to try to contribute where I think I can add something or answer a specific question. So I don't usually add a welcome unless I'm answering a new member's question (or maybe I'm just an anti-social hermit ohmy.gif ). Nonetheless I don't see an issue with people saying 'hi'.

*ahem*

+1

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 8 2009, 11:43 PM
Instructor
I think it's not that big of an issue as it is discussed here but we all have different views on the matter which is normal so it is good for everybody to state their opinion.
I don't mind turning off the counter, I will read and try to understand every member that comes to the forum and offer him/she help if needed anyway. This is what counts in the end, not number of posts. I can post on the whole forum 25 posts per day, 1 post here and there on the welcome board really doesn't take a lot of time to me, but it means when you are welcomed into the community. Lot of people are a bit shy when they introduce or ask their first question, so it is our good manners to make them understand that they are welcomed and respected as first timers. If they continue to post on the forum later, they will give another kind of respect, this is how things go..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 9 2009, 01:43 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 8 2009, 11:43 PM) *
Lot of people are a bit shy when they introduce or ask their first question, so it is our good manners to make them understand that they are welcomed and respected as first timers. If they continue to post on the forum later, they will give another kind of respect, this is how things go..

I totally agree with Ivan! I was surprised at the number of 'Welcome' messages I got when I first announced myself. So if someone replies to all introductory Posts are they really doing anything wrong?

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 9 2009, 01:51 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Skalde @ Jul 8 2009, 05:00 PM) *
Look at it this way:
It seems like we all can agree that a short message lile "welcome to GMC" is fine, the logical conclusion is that disabling the fast reply button makes no sense.
We would have a similiar discussion if I had suggested to turn of the fast reply button, but since it was removed from the start noone questions the decision.
Let's say the post count for this board would be missing for this particular board from the beginning most of you would think "I can agree with this, it makes sense"
So I suggested to turn of the post count since it would go a long with a previous decision.

laugh.gif Jedi mind tricks doesn't work on us
*feels and urge to turn off the counter*

I still don't get the point rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Skalde
Jul 9 2009, 02:02 PM
Learning Roadie
topic can be closed now

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:34 PM