7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7  
Why Not To Use Pirated Software, Some personal thoughts for debate
FretDancer69
Nov 15 2007, 09:33 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Nov 14 2007, 10:38 PM) *
Well Gentleman, i must say.........

Im not touching this one with a 50 foot pole laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif wink.gif

lol, ill do the same.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Nov 15 2007, 09:40 AM
Hahaha, I think I'll do the same. After 7 pages, we're about to start going in circles.

The wise one's know when to call it a day biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ActiveX
Nov 15 2007, 12:23 PM
QUOTE (radarlove1984 @ Nov 15 2007, 12:40 AM) *
Hahaha, I think I'll do the same. After 7 pages, we're about to start going in circles.

The wise one's know when to call it a day biggrin.gif

Good call, goodnight all smile.gif

"I may not agree with your opinion, but I will fight to the death to protect your right to state it." Groucho Marx 1958

+Quote Post
Maximus
Nov 15 2007, 01:41 PM
I have been following this thread since the beginning and I finally came to the point where I have to speak. Comparing stealing of any kind to a revolutionary uprising or democratic expression is utterly absurd. Also to say that this is a complicated issue is also ridiculous. The only thing stealing is good for is to serve the selfish motives of the person doing the stealing. I am absolutely amazed how people can spin any situation into their own self serving reality. I've seen several people justify this behaviour by saying that since millions of people do it, it must be ok or acceptable. The reason that it is so pervasive is because it is an almost completely anonymous way to do something that they really know deep down inside is not right. It's exactly the same thing as leaving an open candy jar on the floor in a room full of 3 year olds while their parents aren't around. They know they aren't supposed to, but as long as there are no percieved consequeces they will raid the jar. Let's stop pretending that being young or not wealthy entitles us to anything we want. Do what the rest of us do and wait, if you are too young and/or get a job and start saving if you can't afford it. If the item you desire is completely out of your financial reach then come to terms with that reality and move on. In closing I'd also like to say with all due respect to the moderators that this discussion is not centered around who has the best football team. It is a discussion quite simply about stealing, which is and has been a crime in every civilized nation in the world from the caveman on. Stealing has been established as a social no-no because of its vast and overwhelmingly negative impact on not only the individual or group it directly effects but the society as a whole. This is not a debate. It is right versus wrong. Those who condone or defend this behavior are of questionable character. Those who participate in this behavior are criminals. There is no way to say this nicely or put a positive spin on it. Sorry if I have offended anyone but sometimes the truth hurts a bit.

--------------------

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic
Amps: Crate GX 1600 1/2 Stack, Line 6 Spider 2, Vintage Kustom Tube Head
Effects: Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 PocketPod
Misc: Line 6 FBV Express Foot Switch/Volume/Wah-Wah Pedal

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 15 2007, 07:52 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (radarlove1984 @ Nov 15 2007, 02:32 AM) *
And tonymiro, I'm usually a nice guy so I'm going to assume you wrote that with the friendly intention of keeping me out of trouble. If that was the case, thank you.

Yes it was meant like that (for you and anyone else) and glad you took it as such. Oddly enough in my work I often defend students against the charge of 'collusion' or, more often, 'plagiarism'.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 16 2007, 12:00 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
OK guys I'm now going to close the thread. I think we've discussed this one at length and have had the chance to hear different viewpoints and opinions but imo it's getting circular and repetitive. Thank you all for your inputs though - it's been nothing less then interesting smile.gif .

As a quick, albeit not, exhaustive summary:

For many software piracy is a form of theft. It particularly hurts small software designers and manufacturers. For some though this may be an economic necessity for those who can not afford the software. However others feel that in such instances people should instead find and use freeware or shareware alternatives.

Many extend the argument to encompass other forms of file-sharing - particularly audio. Here again some feel that it is an economic necessity and argue that it is one that does not 'hurt' the artist. Others disagree.

There are differing views as to whether or not software piracy as such may be viewed as vehicle for opposing laws that some see as unjust. Some argue that it is and will lead to an improved, more equitable society; some argue that it is an unlawful activity and that social change happens by other legal means.

Apologies if I've glossed a point of view or argument.

Final word on the subject from me. Regardless of our personal viewpoints on this a re-iteration:

With respect to GMC - software piracy is regarded as the theft of intellectual property and as such GMC cannot and will not condone it, or discussions of file-sharing, cracked software and so on.

Cheers everyone for an interesting debate,

Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:23 PM