2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Maharzan - Mtp Assignment Thread, December 2009
maharzan
Dec 19 2009, 10:06 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Alrighty!

After exploring the scales / notes, here is what I have come up with. I am just playing over the neck up and down and not really using the scale positioning at times (unlike the earlier exercise). Hope its okay.

BTW, I just wanted to ask this from the beginning, we learnt the CAGED model scales but it didn't have wide stretch (3nps) thing. I have used that often here as I was so used to that. I am not sure if we are allowed to use that as I guess this was coming in future exercises.

Anyway, here it is.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 19 2009, 05:09 PM
Instructor
Very good. I see you're sometimes not thinking about the positions at times but those are still the same 5 positions smile.gif The neck is covered and that's good. Remember, we are not trying to come up with a memorable solo or throw licks into this. We need to learn positions, scales and play right notes at all times smile.gif

Now the arpeggio part - the last assignment for this month.

The next task is to make charts (like I made for major scales) for arpeggios in 5 positions. Please make 3 charts - maj7, dom7 and min7 arpeggios. I want you to send me the picture on email. You can use Photoshop, Illustrator, Corel or any other graphic program and export jpg picture. You already have my chart so for maj7 arpeggio you can just take out 2nds, 4ths and 6hts, that will leave you with maj7 arpegio. For dom7 the same but change the maj7th interval to b7th and that will give you dom7 arpeggio. You figure out the min7 chart. Paint root notes in black or some different color than the other notes. Play all 3 of them like you did with the major scales in all positions as written on the chart which you will make. Please play all arpeggios over some drum loop or a metronome. You can use one key for each.

remember you need to post the reference link of your REC take on this thread so we can lock this month's assignments.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
maharzan
Dec 20 2009, 06:51 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
PMed you the charts. smile.gif

so, now we play each 5 positions for maj7 and then move to dom7 and then to min7 right? that will give us 5 x 3 = 15 positions at one take. This sounds complicating. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 24 2009, 12:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Dec 20 2009, 05:51 AM) *
PMed you the charts. smile.gif

so, now we play each 5 positions for maj7 and then move to dom7 and then to min7 right? that will give us 5 x 3 = 15 positions at one take. This sounds complicating. smile.gif

Correct, but where is the video? smile.gif

Also don't forget the REC take of any GMC lesson by the end of the month, that's another GMC requirement. When you upload on the REC thread please leave the link here as well.

Cheers

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
maharzan
Dec 24 2009, 04:18 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Sure will do.. I am practicing the arpeggios for the video.. pretty confusing at times and fingering.. I am practicing REC as well.. can do in about 170bpm as of now. Will post this weekend.

Thanks Emir.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 24 2009, 03:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Dec 24 2009, 03:18 AM) *
Sure will do.. I am practicing the arpeggios for the video.. pretty confusing at times and fingering.. I am practicing REC as well.. can do in about 170bpm as of now. Will post this weekend.

Thanks Emir.

Cool, thanks.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
maharzan
Dec 26 2009, 09:44 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Hi Emir,

Here is a try on Arpeggios. Kind of messed on the ending. Couldn't do at 80bpm.. so recorded on a slower 60bpm tempo.

Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 26 2009, 05:07 PM
Instructor
All correct notes but only maj7 is in the correct positions. Denis had the same issue with this. I am sorry I didn't see your chart on the PM before. I would have corrected you on time. This is my fault. All shapes have to be related to our initial major scale patterns. We're not adding any other notes into positions.

For example dom7 in position 2 is coming from position 5 of major scale. You just change the root and take out unnecessary notes.

Look at the pictures below.

The next assignment for this month is to play over the same chord progression as in the previous assignment but using only these arpeggios, not whole scales.

Please leave the link here when you post the REC take so I can lock this month thread.

Cheers

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
maharzan
Dec 26 2009, 05:57 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Not sure if I understood it. How do we know which position its coming from?

or how do we relate to each positions ? Do you mean that position 1 E/F shape on major scale differs in dom7 and Minor positions? So, E/F shape on major isn't really equal to E/F shape in minor.. (kind of weird) so I didn't get it. I thought they are all related. I was thinking E/F shape on Major is like Em shape on minor.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 26 2009, 06:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Dec 26 2009, 04:57 PM) *
Not sure if I understood it. How do we know which position its coming from?

or how do we relate to each positions ? Do you mean that position 1 E/F shape on major scale differs in dom7 and Minor positions? So, E/F shape on major isn't really equal to E/F shape in minor.. (kind of weird) so I didn't get it. I thought they are all related. I was thinking E/F shape on Major is like Em shape on minor.

E/F shape (shape 1) in dom7 is actually 5th shape of normal major scale. Compare that chart with the 5th major scale position and you will get the point. I was just using the different root

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
maharzan
Dec 27 2009, 02:58 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Hi Emir,

I think you meant shape 1 for min7 there .. ?

Anyway, I think I got it now. All the positions remain as it is but you just relate to major scale and then REMOVE unnecessary notes rather than shift or add (which I was doing) and you get the correct shape right? I had correct notes but wrong shape (although it wouldn't really matter soundwise).

Cool. I will just redo the charts and practice so as to correct this immediately. I was waiting for your feedback on the charts for 2 days I think but also had to submit this take so started practicing it. And I thought you were busy for Christmas. I should have followed you up too.

Anyway, I will PM you the correct shapes in a moment.

Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 27 2009, 03:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Dec 27 2009, 01:58 AM) *
Hi Emir,

I think you meant shape 1 for min7 there .. ?

Anyway, I think I got it now. All the positions remain as it is but you just relate to major scale and then REMOVE unnecessary notes rather than shift or add (which I was doing) and you get the correct shape right? I had correct notes but wrong shape (although it wouldn't really matter soundwise).

Cool. I will just redo the charts and practice so as to correct this immediately. I was waiting for your feedback on the charts for 2 days I think but also had to submit this take so started practicing it. And I thought you were busy for Christmas. I should have followed you up too.

Anyway, I will PM you the correct shapes in a moment.

Thanks!

Yes I made mistake. I meant dom7 in shape D (position 2) is coming from major scale shape 5 but with the different root of course. You got the point. Your take was ok, we don't need that again. Just learn shapes this way and do the video using them over the backing.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
maharzan
Dec 27 2009, 04:50 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Okay, I just sent over the corrected charts. So, to my understanding, everything (scales / modes / arpegios.. what else ?) is actually just a part of Major Scales.. just moved here and there... quite a find. And whatever we do in future, must be based on the major scale charts ? smile.gif

I will take this approach in the new assignment.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 27 2009, 05:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Dec 27 2009, 03:50 AM) *
Okay, I just sent over the corrected charts. So, to my understanding, everything (scales / modes / arpegios.. what else ?) is actually just a part of Major Scales.. just moved here and there... quite a find. And whatever we do in future, must be based on the major scale charts ? smile.gif

I will take this approach in the new assignment.

I just replied on your discussion thread.

Yes, what we're doing now is extracting that major scale into all its ingredients. Slowly you should start thinking of your new roots and memorize mode shapes instead of major scale shapes. The next one will be Dorian in 5 positions which is again coming from major scale but your roots will be on different places.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
maharzan
Dec 30 2009, 06:56 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Hey Emir,

Heres my REC take.

Heres the video:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 30 2009, 07:33 AM
Instructor
Great stuff smile.gif Thanks for the hard work this month. We'll move to January with more cool stuff.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:21 PM