3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Modes 101, Part 1 - Introduction
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 18 2009, 10:12 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Cool - glad you like d it!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
triangle
Nov 11 2011, 07:17 PM
GMC:er
Hello Andrew !
Could you tell me how to mix a tone with a mode ?
I take an example : your song is in C major which modes can I use in solo ?
Hoping my question isn't too silly ! huh.gif
Thank's by advance, and good continuation smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 12 2011, 10:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (triangle @ Nov 11 2011, 06:17 PM) *
Hello Andrew !
Could you tell me how to mix a tone with a mode ?
I take an example : your song is in C major which modes can I use in solo ?
Hoping my question isn't too silly ! huh.gif
Thank's by advance, and good continuation smile.gif

Hey man smile.gif You can solo in C Ionian if you wish so smile.gif C Ionian would be C major actually (C D E F G A B C). Now depending on how the chord progression is built you would have some other options as well.

For instance, if you have the C major chord played for some bars in your progression, you can emphasize the C Lydian mode over the C chord by playing the F# note but taking care to move back to the Ionian mode notes when the chord changes smile.gif This could be an idea! Hope it helps!

+Quote Post
triangle
Nov 13 2011, 01:00 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 12 2011, 10:29 PM) *
Hey man smile.gif You can solo in C Ionian if you wish so smile.gif C Ionian would be C major actually (C D E F G A B C). Now depending on how the chord progression is built you would have some other options as well.

For instance, if you have the C major chord played for some bars in your progression, you can emphasize the C Lydian mode over the C chord by playing the F# note but taking care to move back to the Ionian mode notes when the chord changes smile.gif This could be an idea! Hope it helps!

Thanks for your reply Cosmin, in fact I'd like too understand how it works, I mean when by instance you're playing in C Major, what all the modes (in solo), you can use, and how it works ! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 13 2011, 10:33 AM
Instructor
Hello triangle,

You would like to know more about modes theory in general, but there is little of modal use here. Here's why:

If a song is in C major key, you have a specific note range: [ C - D - E = F - G - A - B = C ]. You use this note range for your solos. However, when playing something, it's not important what mode you use, because mode (scale) is just a note range, similar as I'm writing this sentence and I'm using alphabet as a letter range for construction of the sentences. In the same fashion, you as musician should use a given note range, pick notes from it and make a melody by following the chords in the background.

This doesn't mean modes aren't important, you should learn them by hearth because later on you will make use of modal playing, similar to what Cosmin described. This shouldn't be important for you at the moment, as you could focus on using this note range in practice. I have couple of lessons on given topics that should be interesting to you, check them out:

Modes Workshop Series
- 3 lessons on modes, use backing tracks and go up & down to get yourself familiar with specific sound of each mode, choose alternate picking, economy picking or legato
Improvising Workshop Series - Lesson series designed to help you understand what to do with the notes you have at your disposal. Go through the lessons and use C major key in order to find out how to use it properly.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
triangle
Nov 13 2011, 03:19 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 13 2011, 10:33 AM) *
Hello triangle,

You would like to know more about modes theory in general, but there is little of modal use here. Here's why:

If a song is in C major key, you have a specific note range: [ C - D - E = F - G - A - B = C ]. You use this note range for your solos. However, when playing something, it's not important what mode you use, because mode (scale) is just a note range, similar as I'm writing this sentence and I'm using alphabet as a letter range for construction of the sentences. In the same fashion, you as musician should use a given note range, pick notes from it and make a melody by following the chords in the background.

This doesn't mean modes aren't important, you should learn them by hearth because later on you will make use of modal playing, similar to what Cosmin described. This shouldn't be important for you at the moment, as you could focus on using this note range in practice. I have couple of lessons on given topics that should be interesting to you, check them out:

Modes Workshop Series
- 3 lessons on modes, use backing tracks and go up & down to get yourself familiar with specific sound of each mode, choose alternate picking, economy picking or legato
Improvising Workshop Series - Lesson series designed to help you understand what to do with the notes you have at your disposal. Go through the lessons and use C major key in order to find out how to use it properly.

Ok, thanks to you Ivan smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 13 2011, 08:10 PM
Instructor
No prob mate smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:42 PM