Cubase, Video Recording - overdubbing & sync
SirJamsalot
May 25 2010, 03:52 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey all,

So I'm in the process of recording my first REC. Because I like a challenge, I decided to record my REC using a FLIP while recording the audio directly to Cubase. What that means is that the audio is in Cubase, and the video is on the FLIP which means I have to import the video into Cubase and sync them up.

Well, so far so good. I got the video imported and the audio lined up to replace the track, but there doesn't appear to be any "fine-tune" capability. I can get the video synced up within a second, but no smaller increments, at least not in the info-line. I'll try dinking with the snap to settings, but while I'm at it I thought I would see if any other cubase users out there have done this effectively. I got it pretty darn close, but there's the mil-second aspect I wanna fine tune.

your turn,
Christian A.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 25 2010, 06:31 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ May 24 2010, 07:52 PM) *
Hey all,

So I'm in the process of recording my first REC. Because I like a challenge, I decided to record my REC using a FLIP while recording the audio directly to Cubase. What that means is that the audio is in Cubase, and the video is on the FLIP which means I have to import the video into Cubase and sync them up.

Well, so far so good. I got the video imported and the audio lined up to replace the track, but there doesn't appear to be any "fine-tune" capability. I can get the video synced up within a second, but no smaller increments, at least not in the info-line. I'll try dinking with the snap to settings, but while I'm at it I thought I would see if any other cubase users out there have done this effectively. I got it pretty darn close, but there's the mil-second aspect I wanna fine tune.

your turn,
Christian A.

oh wait... hahaha. I can just nudge the recorded audio and leave the video in place...
./facepalm

Christian A.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 25 2010, 06:51 AM
Instructor
BINGOO!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 25 2010, 01:41 PM
Instructor
Glad you got the problem sorted out! smile.gif

If you want more easier approach, try Vegas Movie Studio, it works very well, it has capturing software integrated, and syncing is done easily too.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 31 2010, 07:05 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
You should definitely do the sync process in the video editing software ( Vegas, Premier etc). They are much easier for working and enable you to do fine tuning with a precise preview option.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 31 2010, 07:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
Yeah, thanks for the tips on that. The FLIP camera I have has a USB out (it's a male), and I doubt there are drivers on the market that allow me to use it for "live recording" DI into the computer, what I've resorted to doing is recording the AUID DI into the computer at the same time I'm recording with the Video camera into the FLIP.

I purchased the SONY Vega software, and imported the video and sycned up the audio from Cubase in that. It works pretty well - here's my first attempt at one of the lessons using this approach.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ASuddenListing#p/u/0/bOqqk0iQ2co

Actually, youtube really compresses the day-lights out of these vids and makes it look like it was shot on a web-cam. Here's the MP4 version of it - though it's like 15 mb. It looks like it's lagging maybe 1 or 2 mms behind, kind of hard to tell which I guess is a good thing? Good enough for lesson submissions though I guess.

Chris

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: May 31 2010, 08:00 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  YouTube_0d1b3712818f43b79c5b6793d2116cb4.mp4 ( 14.97MB ) Number of downloads: 218

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 31 2010, 07:49 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ May 31 2010, 08:47 PM) *
Yeah, thanks for the tips on that. The FLIP camera I have has a USB out (it's a male), and I doubt there are drivers on the market that allow me to use it for "live recording" DI into the computer, what I've resorted to doing is recording the AUID DI into the computer at the same time I'm recording with the Video camera into the FLIP.

I purchased the SONY Vega software, and imported the video and sycned up the audio from Cubase in that. It works pretty well - here's my first attempt at one of the lessons using this approach.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ASuddenListing#p/u/0/bOqqk0iQ2co

Chris

Ah yes I remember watching this video. Its very good quality and and video wise so you got the process down. That's how many instructors do it to - record separate audio and video and then do sync in video editing software...Only alternative is to get a cam with mic input.. smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 31 2010, 08:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 31 2010, 11:49 AM) *
Ah yes I remember watching this video. Its very good quality and and video wise so you got the process down. That's how many instructors do it to - record separate audio and video and then do sync in video editing software...Only alternative is to get a cam with mic input.. smile.gif

groovay.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 31 2010, 10:08 PM
Instructor
Very nice video, I think it looks very good man. Everything is cool, and the sync is solid.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 13 2010, 06:34 PM
Instructor
Vegas is great for syncing vids and audio

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 13 2010, 09:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Jul 13 2010, 10:34 AM) *
Vegas is great for syncing vids and audio

It's alot easier than I thought it would be. I'm lovin given the fact that if your camcorder is recording audio at the same time as you are recording audio in Cubase (or other DAW), you can import the Cubase audio onto a separate audio track and line up the peaks between the two tracks, then mute the video's audio track when exporting the video. Very slick.

Christian.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 14 2010, 09:01 PM
Instructor
This can be done in any video editor, as they all render peaks of audio files. But Vegas has smooth workflow which is a great advantage for fast editing, or on field.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:57 PM