8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Lcsdds (monte) Mentored By Muris, CLOSED
lcsdds
Feb 23 2009, 01:19 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Feb 23 2009, 12:59 PM) *
It does feel strange indeed when you first change your picking hand shape
but very soon you'll get used to that, trust me!!
And of course this will NOT affect your sweeping and economy in any way,
it's just that your hand will stay more steady when doing all the job
which means less movements for better and faster execution!

Backing you are asking, is it for THIS lesson? You want full tempo backing or? smile.gif

I'm already getting used to it and you are right, I can feel the steadiness already! smile.gif Yes, that is the lesson I would like the backing for and full tempo please. Thanks Muris! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 23 2009, 01:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Feb 23 2009, 01:19 PM) *
I'm already getting used to it and you are right, I can feel the steadiness already! smile.gif Yes, that is the lesson I would like the backing for and full tempo please. Thanks Muris! smile.gif

That's awesome Monte, here's is backing for you, rock it! smile.gif

Attached File  String_Skipping_Lesson_2___BT_150_bpm.mp3 ( 1006.25K ) Number of downloads: 1

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 23 2009, 04:09 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Alright Muris, my practice session went really well this morning. Changing my right hand by curling my fingers made a HUGE difference. I think I am going to make some good progress this week. smile.gif I think the pinky anchoring was my problem all along. Changing strings feels much smoother now and especially on the last two runs. I am also finally getting over the wanting to sweep urge when changing strings. The change in right hand posture also helped my economy picking. That little tip was worth it's weight in gold!! Thanks Muris, I just might get some AP chops yet. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 23 2009, 11:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Feb 23 2009, 04:09 PM) *
Alright Muris, my practice session went really well this morning. Changing my right hand by curling my fingers made a HUGE difference. I think I am going to make some good progress this week. smile.gif I think the pinky anchoring was my problem all along. Changing strings feels much smoother now and especially on the last two runs. I am also finally getting over the wanting to sweep urge when changing strings. The change in right hand posture also helped my economy picking. That little tip was worth it's weight in gold!! Thanks Muris, I just might get some AP chops yet. laugh.gif

2 words, hell yeah! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Carlos Carrillo
Feb 23 2009, 11:41 PM
Instructor
ohmy.gif WOW!! you are great mate!! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 25 2009, 10:35 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Muris,
Just wanting to check in. Things are progressing well. I will post another take on Saturday or Sunday. I would say that I can play all of the licks with the exception of 2 of them between 130 and 140 bpm fairly clean. My ultimate goal is to be able to play it "boost" style at 160. laugh.gif I won't stop practicing this lesson until I reach that goal and post it for you to see. The licks that are holding me up are the lick played in 3rds and the lick with the octave in it starting from the A on the G string. I think it is the string skipping and the inside picking that is giving me problems. I have started practicing your string skipping lesson to remedy the string skipping problem tho. I just wanted to check in and let you know things are progressing nicely. I can't believe what a difference changing my right hand posture made. smile.gif I'll get you a video post with the new tempo and right hand posture this weekend. Thanks. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 26 2009, 01:14 AM
Instructor
Those are licks must be problem since
you recently switched to pure alternate picking practicing!!
No worries tho, there is some major progress as you can see,
make me happy and post those clips asap, ok? wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 1 2009, 01:23 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Muris,
Here is my take for the week. Last week was about 100 bpm and this week was about 112 bpm. This weeks take wasn't quite as clean as last weeks. The string skipping and thrids licks are the "limiting licks" in the piece for me. I can play all the other licks cleanly at about 130-135 bpm. My goal for next week is 120 and I am gonna double up my time on the string skipping and thirds lick. Everything else I think should be at tempo next week. You always gotta throw a curveball in your lessons don't you!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

It's funny, when I am playing it feels like my right hand fingers are really curled in more of a fist but when I watch the video they are still fanned out. The pinky wasn't anchored though. Did I fix the wrist rolling problem or not? Thanks Muris and I'll keep working on the string skipping. I've added a few of the first bars of you string skipping lessons to my routine as well to get used to string skipping when using AP. I will say that the urge to sweep when changing strings has virtually dissapeared. Let me know what you think and thanks.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 1 2009, 01:34 AM
Instructor
Your picking looks like new Monte
and I believe we solved rolling nicely
which is easy to notice if you compare those 2 clips!! biggrin.gif

Spot on about fanned fingers, perhaps you could just THINK of curling them while playing,
might be hard to handle at the beginning but becomes habit after a while, no worries.
Looking forward to 120 bpm take and of course
String Skipping lesson, can't wait to see how you're doing there,
awesome progress Monte. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 1 2009, 01:45 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Mar 1 2009, 01:34 AM) *
Your picking looks like new Monte
and I believe we solved rolling nicely
which is easy to notice if you compare those 2 clips!! biggrin.gif

Spot on about fanned fingers, perhaps you could just THINK of curling them while playing,
might be hard to handle at the beginning but becomes habit after a while, no worries.
Looking forward to 120 bpm take and of course
String Skipping lesson, can't wait to see how you're doing there,
awesome progress Monte. smile.gif

Thanks Muris. I am only working on the first few bars of the string skipping and I only have it up to about maybe 100bpm so far. I'll post what I have so far on the string skipping next week, that way you can make sure I am at least practicing it properly. The string skipping lesson is a long term goal for me but I figured I might as well start working on it now. smile.gif

Muris, could you tell me what you have planned for me once we get done with AP boot camp? laugh.gif laugh.gif

So my focus for next week will be to curl my fingers more and to isolate the string skipping and thirds licks a little more.

I have NEVER worked this much on AP!! !'m excited that I might actually get some AP chops. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 1 2009, 01:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 1 2009, 01:45 AM) *
Muris, could you tell me what you have planned for me once we get done with AP boot camp? laugh.gif laugh.gif

Oh, there are so many things around to work on, lets keep it secret for now. wink.gif

QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 1 2009, 01:45 AM) *
I have NEVER worked this much on AP!! !'m excited that I might actually get some AP chops. laugh.gif

I know the feel and guess what, you've already got some chops. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 6 2009, 04:25 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Muris,
So I think I have hit the point of diminishing returns with this lesson. I think I have been practicing it so much that I am either totally hitting a wall or I am getting worse. mad.gif I am gonna back off on it for a couple of days and let my muscles kind of grasp what is going on. What do you think? I can play all the licks clean at 140, except the two we talked about earlier. I am still a little sloppy with the ascending an descending run at full tempo as well. Sooooo.....What would you think about me switching gears and trying to apply what I have learned? I am going through your Phrygian and Lydian Serial in my MTP. I have already posted my take on your phrygian beginner lesson, even curled my right hand fingers for the picking parts. smile.gif I am gonna post a take on the Lydian beginner sometime this weekend. So I am ready to tackle the Intermediate level on both of these and it looks like there is quite a bit of picking going on. What would you think of me starting those? I can still post another take on the upstroke lesson tomorrow or sunday tho. I will also post those first few bars of the string skipping licks at about 80bpm so you can see my technique with string skipping as well. Thanks Muris.

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Mar 6 2009, 04:29 PM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 6 2009, 04:45 PM
Instructor
I happens all the time Monte and no worries,
have a break from those lessons for a while, no big deal!!

Btw, I'm really glad you've been working on this Phrygian Beginner lesson,
those kind of stuff are always good to pay more attention
to very important details like vibrato, dynamics, overall feel etc.
Speaking of it, I have a suggestion,
how about to try dialing gain lower, specially for this Phrygian Beginner lesson?
Those are slower lick, nothing scary and with lower gain ( even kind a OD )
you'll have much more space for dynamic, give it a shot.
You can do the same for everything that is not difficult technique wise,
less gain also means better articulation, bare that in mind. smile.gif

In a mean while here's another home work for you. wink.gif
take this same BT for Phrygian serial and record a solo over it,
compose it, let it be musical but don't be afraid to shred here and there if you want tho,
keep it wise and aim to satisfy some random listener,
then we'll listen to it and discus you composing skills. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 6 2009, 05:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Mar 6 2009, 04:45 PM) *
I happens all the time Monte and no worries,
have a break from those lessons for a while, no big deal!!

Btw, I'm really glad you've been working on this Phrygian Beginner lesson,
those kind of stuff are always good to pay more attention
to very important details like vibrato, dynamics, overall feel etc.
Speaking of it, I have a suggestion,
how about to try dialing gain lower, specially for this Phrygian Beginner lesson?
Those are slower lick, nothing scary and with lower gain ( even kind a OD )
you'll have much more space for dynamic, give it a shot.
You can do the same for everything that is not difficult technique wise,
less gain also means better articulation, bare that in mind. smile.gif

In a mean while here's another home work for you. wink.gif
take this same BT for Phrygian serial and record a solo over it,
compose it, let it be musical but don't be afraid to shred here and there if you want tho,
keep it wise and aim to satisfy some random listener,
then we'll listen to it and discus you composing skills. smile.gif

Awesome Muris!! You know, since I joined GMC 7 months ago I have consistently practiced 2-3 hours a day. First time I have been consisten and FOCUSED. Problem is I have been pretty much just focused on technique. I have made A LOT of progress though and most of it is thanks to your lessons. smile.gif I think I am ready to start taking half of my practice time and start applying what I have learned.

I'm gonna start working on the Phrygian solo tomorrow and I will post what I have composed so far in a week. Then you can tell me how to improve. I will still keep working on my picking obviously, It is in my routine now and it is just a matter of time until I get competent with it.

I'll get back to you with my take on your cool backing! smile.gif

Thanks Muris. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 6 2009, 05:22 PM
Instructor
Absolutely Monte, practicing technique is what we all have to do
but it's nice to also to look around and see how it actually sounds
in your own music!
Looking forward to those takes, great job so far!! smile.gif

Ohh, and BTW, do you mind putting back your old avatar Monte?
It's very scary to give advices while looking at Mr. Vai. laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 6 2009, 05:56 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Mar 6 2009, 05:22 PM) *
Absolutely Monte, practicing technique is what we all have to do
but it's nice to also to look around and see how it actually sounds
in your own music!
Looking forward to those takes, great job so far!! smile.gif

Ohh, and BTW, do you mind putting back your old avatar Monte?
It's very scary to give advices while looking at Mr. Vai. laugh.gif

Sorry Muris...No can do!! I figured between the cool new Vai avatar and you mentoring me I GOTTA get a little better. laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 6 2009, 10:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 6 2009, 05:56 PM) *
Sorry Muris...No can do!! I figured between the cool new Vai avatar and you mentoring me I GOTTA get a little better. laugh.gif laugh.gif

Ok then biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 8 2009, 04:42 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Muris...Just wanted to check in really quick. I have my brother in law in town for the next week and I am going out of town next weekend so I don't know what I will be able to upload next week. I have been kicked out of my practice room for the week. mad.gif mad.gif I can still practice but I make my videos in the mornings usually. Anyways, gonna be kind of a weird week but I wanted to know I am still working on everything. Here is what I am hoping to upload for you next week:

Upstroke lesson

My take on the Phrygian backing track

I also finished my tapping etude over your upstroke backing and I'm gonna upload that as well. Had alot of fun working on this one. smile.gif

I told you I am gonna be trying to complete your phrygian and Lydian serials this year. I'm even gonna try to get the AP licks up to tempo and not cheat and play them legato. tongue.gif Anyways, Here is my take on your Lydian beginner lesson. I tried to spice it up a little with the tremolo bar...Don't know if that worked or not. laugh.gif tongue.gif Tell me what you think of the AP string skipping lick as far as my technique. We talked abou me posting a take on your string skipping lesson at about 80 bpm and just the first few bars. I figured this might work instead. Thanks Muris, and good luck on your tour in the US. I hope I get to meet you!!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 8 2009, 05:05 PM
Instructor
Thanks for update Monte,
you did make a huge plans and I can't wait to see those next takes! smile.gif

I see you were using whammy bar A LOT here which is great nonetheless
but there are some quite a shorter notes and you did dive after most of them,
it sounded like overpushed and out of tune cause you indeed
don't have enough time to perform all those whammy tricks there
and keep them sweet sounding.
I'm talking about smaller details here, phrasing moments
that you should think of when you play or compose,
those details no matter how small they are are making major difference! smile.gif

Picking was fine too,
you did open your fist pretty much on last section but that is NOT a problem at all,
just try to close it and not anchor when doing faster stuff,
for slower licks you can even use your teeth, just don't break them! laugh.gif

Good job Monte, keep 'em coming! cool.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Mar 8 2009, 05:21 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
for slower licks you can even use your teeth, just don't break them!

laugh.gif I would like to see this! Maybe you could do the tapping part with your nose. tongue.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:29 PM