Ibanez Rg 2550 (x-mas Gift)
ruben_mcn
Dec 15 2009, 08:41 PM
Learning Roadie
I´m gonna get one of this 4 x-mas ...

http://en.euroguitar.com/guitar/ibanez/rg-...0mz/125293.html

or

http://en.euroguitar.com/guitar/ibanez/rg-...50e/119188.html

The only difrence is the neck.. i think i will go for the mapled neck one cause i got stuck with the idea that the maple neck playes smoother is this true ??? wichof the 2 has the better neck ?? (at this point i don´t want any guitar suggestions or buy used stuff tongue.gif cause i already made up my mind =) )

the 1st one has a 5-piece Wizard maple/walnut neck
the 2nd has a 3-piece Wizard neck

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Dec 15 2009, 08:55 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 15 2009, 08:59 PM
Learning Tone Master
Maple sounds darker and feels diffrent to rosewood while rosewood sounds warmer. Purely up to prefearance.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 15 2009, 09:10 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Dec 15 2009, 07:59 PM) *
Maple sounds darker and feels diffrent to rosewood while rosewood sounds warmer.

I was always under the impression that Maple Boards were supposed to produce a brighter tone than Rosewood? huh.gif
Rosewood = close grain - Tighter and lower tonal response.
Maple = wide grain - Wider and higher tonal response.

Although, unless you are really squeezing the string into the fingerboard when fretting there should be hardly any contact between the string and fingerboard and so the sound quality of whichever fingerboard wood is very marginal, although what the rest of the neck is made from is far more tonally important.
Just my opinion though.
smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 15 2009, 09:26 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I like the look and feel of maple necks. My strat has maple neck and I love it. I also thought that maple was brighter than rosewood. Then gain truth is I can't really tell the difference in sound, only in looks & feel.

That RG2550 seems popular among Ibanez swingers, I guess it's good smile.gif I wish I could try one myself (I've been looking for an Ibanez/Jackson lately) but my local store doesn't carry any 2550. I see there are different 2550 models though, with different letters added. I wonder what the differences are... Why are Ibanez models so full of numbers & letters!! Makes it a nightmare to know what to look for laugh.gif

Congrats on your future new toy wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 15 2009, 09:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yeah the diffrence in fretboard material on the overall sound is very small, some guitarist claim that you can not hear the diffrence between Ebony or Rosewood but I think you can, it's just a nuance but it's there.

Maple gives you a bright, grinding and trebly sound as body or neck material but used as a fretboard material it darkens the sound a little, while rosewood smoothes things out and Ebony gives your sound more edge and treble. That's my personal opinion on the fretboard types I played (I am 100 sure with the Ibanez because I wanted to buy a 7string RG prestge once and tried two versions of the same guitar, the rosewood fretboard nad the maple fretboard one)

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 15 2009, 10:05 PM
GMC:er
Ebony will give you a 'brighter' tone than Maple although Maple will sound more snappy(?)! It's always hard to describe sounds with words!! smile.gif
I completely agree with you about maple as a Body or Neck material, but in my experience I've never come across a maple boarded neck sounding darker(?) tonally than either Rosewood, Cocobolo or Pao Ferro.
On the other hand, where does it stop? How much do you affect the Tone by using Abalone or Mother of Pearl for your inlays? Whether you just have Dot inlays or Ibanez Style Sharktooth ones that require more wood to be removed?? Or no inlays at all?
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
(All meant to be taken light-heartedly!!)

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 16 2009, 12:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Fran @ Dec 15 2009, 09:26 PM) *
Then gain truth is I can't really tell the difference in sound, only in looks & feel.

Me neither, but some people do

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Aleksander Sukov...
Dec 16 2009, 09:21 PM
Instructor
I would go for the first one. I like maple necks better, but I find rosewood a bit easier to orientate.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Dec 16 2009, 09:52 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Aleksander Sukovic @ Dec 16 2009, 08:21 PM) *
I would go for the first one. I like maple necks better, but I find rosewood a bit easier to orientate.

I also think the maple fells better =)

it will be my sherreding axe

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:35 PM