2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Gmc Metronome - Flash Coding Help Needed!
Kaneda
Jul 3 2007, 09:50 AM
Other side of the coin
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 3 2007, 09:41 AM) *
That is not consistent with my test results.

Tried it in a browser? Rather than the internal flash player. It sure is consistent with any tests I've done over the past 3 years (last time I checked FlashPlayer performance was the FlashPlayer 9 update 1 beta), plus you'll be straining the player's performance severely as soon as you go below 50 ms. When moving the mouse cursor influences timing, that's a telltale sign that the WM_TIMER messages are clogging up the message queue, or you're on a computer from the mid-90s. The internal player may not use WM_TIMER (but it still seems it does, if mouse movement influences it that much). The external one certainly does. It's a confirmed fact.

As for the mp3 playback issue, you're right - can't count on that either. Sound.start() latency is a well known problem. The flash sample buffer loops every 2048 samples, and sound.start won't have any effect until the moment of the loop. Depending on when you call the function in relation to when it loops, timing will be inconsistent. Plus, you can't even count on that exact rate since FlashPlayer 7.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Kaneda: Jul 3 2007, 10:05 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 3 2007, 05:34 PM
GMC:er
Everything you say sounds right. To be looping every 5 ms would as you say, not be a great thing to do That was primarily a test at the extreme, the results checking every 50ms would be pretty close to just as effective.

Which still really won't be effective (it seems to me).

edit: it take it back, if you sample at over 10ms or so, the results deteriorate. however, it means nothing anyway, because you still do get an occasional delay, maybe only every 5 or 10 seconds, but enough to be unacceptable. and besides that, the mp3 latency is there quite a bit even when the notifications are on time, i can hear delays even when i see steady timings, it just won't work, as you indicated.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 3 2007, 05:46 PM

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Jul 3 2007, 06:01 PM
Here just use this maybe. I uploaded to my website so download as much as you want. Seems to work fine to me. This one also includes a perfect 440 hz "A" for tuning.

Metronome

Hardtail

This post has been edited by Hardtail: Jul 3 2007, 06:13 PM

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Jul 3 2007, 06:12 PM
Also, I didn't realize until I reread Kris's original post that the higher speeds are the problem. But to be honest the whole thing is the problem and only at higher speeds do you notice it because the problem starts becoming compounded.

Based on my knowledge of Flash I'd recommend trying a solid tone and use your interval timers to manipulate the volume off/on function. That way the audio file in the SWF only revvs up once (which is where the delay is BTW) and then the "Beeps" are actually just short intervals of VOLUME ON. This should clear up any problems at high speeds.

Hardtail

This post has been edited by Hardtail: Jul 3 2007, 06:14 PM

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:51 PM