> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

13 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Cosmin's Video Chat Lesson Notes
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 4 2012, 09:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Dec 29 2011, 09:24 PM) *
Tomo Fujito

biggrin.gif Awesome mate!

Hey guys! See you tomorrow at 8 PM as usual! I decided I will start a series of related v-chat sessions about learning modes - approach and ideas biggrin.gif so, tomorrow we shall begin with the Ionian! Crash course on modes is ON!

see you in the chat room

Cosmin

This Thursday we shall start the course on modes biggrin.gif I shall pay careful attention to gitarrero and his mischief so, we shall discuss about the Ionian mode indeed tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jan 11 2012, 11:09 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 16 2012, 10:19 AM
Instructor
Howdy mates! Just wanted to let you know that this week's video chat session is happening on Saturday at 6 PM London time! We'll continue with the Ionian mode applications so stay tuned. I shall post the lesson notes from last Thursday today so you may have them at hand! Cheerios!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jan 16 2012, 10:19 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 17 2012, 11:35 AM
Instructor
Lesson notes from January 12th 2012

Ionian Mode - Part 1

Guys, I summed up the essentials we discussed last Thursday and we shall develop the ideas on Saturday, so stay tuned and let me know if you have any questions, ok?

Ionian Mode

Formula: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 (C D E F G A B C)

Differentiating scale degrees: major 7th (and 4th)

Chord types over which the mode fits best: Maj, Maj6, Maj6/9, Maj7, Maj9, Maj13add11, Maj13

Typical progressions: I IV V; IImi V I; I VIm IV V; I IIIm IV I; I IV I; I V I;

Observations:

- the mode can be emphasized by using the maj 3rd and fourth and the maj7th and octave in Ionian progressions such as those above or over a C chord, as you may see in the examples contained in the GP file attached below.

- all the licks are played in the key of C major, but they can be transposed in any given key and played in any position over the neck - after you have learned them, experiment with various positions and keys, in order to be able to use them in any Ionian context.

- you can use the major pentatonic scale over a major chord just as well, but it will skip the major 7th and thus no Ionian flavor shall be present.

See you on Saturday, Jan 21st!

Cosmin

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Ionian_Mode_Part_1.gp5 ( 3.46K ) Number of downloads: 192

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 25 2012, 10:51 AM
Instructor
Hey guys! We'll be continuing the v-chat on modes series with the first part on the Dorian mode tomorrow at 8PM as usual! See you in the chat room!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 25 2012, 11:15 PM
Instructor
Here are the lesson notes, guitar pro file and, backing track for the last v-chat session on the Ionian mode applications smile.gif

Progression: C5 G5 A5 C5 E5 F5

Emphasis: Major 7th and 4th scale degrees.

Scales used: Ionian and C major pentatonic

As you will see in the tabs, I concocted phrases by using the previously discussed licks tongue.gif so things should be pretty familiar.

You may have guessed but, yes, there is an assignment biggrin.gif

I present you a second backing track, which is played in the key of E major, so what you have to do, is take the phrases in the tabs and find the right positions to make them fit in the D Ionian context. How's that for a little challenge? biggrin.gif (that means the progression will be D5 A5 B5 D5 F#5 G5)

Then, record yourselves over the backing track and post your takes here where we can discuss them wink.gif

see you tomorrow at the Dorian mash-up!

Cosmin

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Ionian_Mode_Part_2.gp5 ( 10.23K ) Number of downloads: 167
Attached File  Ionian_Mode_Part_2.pdf ( 267.4K ) Number of downloads: 240
Attached File  Ionian_BT__D_.mp3 ( 3.61MB ) Number of downloads: 196
Attached File  Ionian_BT__C_.mp3 ( 3.61MB ) Number of downloads: 218

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 31 2012, 12:31 PM
Instructor
Lesson notes from January 26th 2012

Dorian Mode - Part 1

Here's the stuff about the Dorian Building blocks smile.gif

Dorian Mode

Formula: 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 (ex: A B C D E F# G A - A Dorian)

Differentiating scale degrees: major 6th (and 2th)

Chord types over which the mode fits best: m, m6, m6/9, m7, m9

Typical progressions: Im IV; Im IIM; Im bIII IV; Im VM IV Im; Im IIm bIII IIm

Observations:

- if you want to emphasize the Dorian mode over a minor chord, highlight the major 6th and the 2nd
- the fact that the 6th is major and not minor, gives this mode a 'sweeter' sound than the heavy sounding of the Aeolian
- if we remove the 2nd and the 6th from the Dorian mode formula, we end up with the minor pentatonic scale -> use it in Dorian contexts while adding and emphasizing the 2nd (9th) and major 6th to obtain the Dorian sound.
- the Dorian mode can be heard in blues, jazz and fusion a lot of times.

I have prepared a backing track for you guys biggrin.gif so next time we shall be discussing Dorian phrases in a real context wink.gif

See you this Thursday, at 8 PM London time for the second session on the Dorian Mode and in the mean time, check out the GP file and the attached PDF.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Dorian_Part_1.gp5 ( 3.56K ) Number of downloads: 170
Attached File  Dorian_Part_1.pdf ( 130.68K ) Number of downloads: 266

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 9 2012, 02:10 PM
Instructor
Hey there homeys!

Lesson notes, guitar pro file and, backing track for the last v-chat session on the Dorian mode applications are here for ya!

Progression: Bm7 Emajor Bm7 Amajor E/G#
Bm7 Emajor Bm7 F#m7 C#m7

Emphasis: Major 6th and 2nd scale degrees.

Scales you can use: B dorian, B minor pentatonic

The GP file has all the phrases wrapped about the A Dorian mode but the backing track is in the B Dorian mode, so as you might've guessed, your homework would consist in shifting all the phrases up a whole step and thus playing them in B Dorian! Are you up to the challenge?

As usual, I would be happy to see your recordings so do not be shy biggrin.gif and please feel free to experiment wink.gif

See you tonight (8 PM London time) for the first session on the Phrygian mode at the v-chat!

Cosmin

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Dorian_Part_2.gp5 ( 5.3K ) Number of downloads: 173
Attached File  Dorian_Part_2.pdf ( 174.98K ) Number of downloads: 244
Attached File  B_Dorian_Jam_Track.wav ( 13.63MB ) Number of downloads: 213

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 15 2012, 09:37 AM
Instructor
Hey gang! The video chat session has been reprogrammed for SUNDAY 8PM London time! See you then smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 18 2012, 02:35 PM
Instructor
Lesson notes from February 9th 2012

Phrygian Mode - Part 1

Here are the basics:

Phrygian Mode

Formula: 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7

Differentiating scale degrees: b2

Chord types over which the mode fits best: mb9, m7b9, mb6b8

Typical progressions: Im bII, Im bIII bII, Im bVIIm, Im bII bVIIm

Observations:

- the Phrygian mode can be emphasized by using the b2
- it can be superimposed over a major chord (the example in which we used the E Phrygian mode over the Emajor chord instead of the E minor chord) -> Flamenco music sound!
- it can be used in the context of modern metal and metal in general as it has its unique flavor

Experiment both approaches -> key centered playing in which we make up Phrygian phrases over a specific Phrygian progression or over a specific chord, such as the example 4, found in the PDF and GP files below.

See you tomorrow at 8 PM London time for a session of Phrygian applications!

Rock'n'rooolll

Cosmin

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Phrygian_Mode_Part_1.gp5 ( 4.51K ) Number of downloads: 197
Attached File  Phrygian_Mode_Part_1.pdf ( 172.12K ) Number of downloads: 237

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 29 2012, 05:34 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! Here's the little solo I've shown you in the Phrygian mode Part 2 Session:

It starts at minute 1.59

The version you are seeing here is in Bb Phrygian dominant as the K7 was tuned to Bb, and the version we have discussed on is in B phrygian dominant as provided in the GP file.

Have fun with it!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  B_Phrygian_Dominant_Solo.gp5 ( 7.57K ) Number of downloads: 153

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 29 2012, 06:15 PM
Instructor
Lesson notes from February 23th 2012

Lydian Mode - Part 1

Building bricks:

Formula: 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7

Differentiating scale degrees: #4

Chord types over which the mode fits best: maj, maj6, maj6/9, maj7, maj13 all these can feature the #11 each

Typical progressions: I II, I II VIIm, I VIIm, I IIIm VIIm

Observations:

- the lydian mode needs more bars to develop and fully shine, so using it over progressions built on the harmonized steps of the mode itself could be a very good solution
- emphasizing on the #4 or #11th
- use it whenever you want to induce a little sense of mystery - this effect is subtle but given by the fact that the #4th is 3 whole steps up from the root

See you tomorrow at 8 PM London time for a SESSION ON CREATIVE THINKING WITH THE GUITAR IN YOUR HANDS biggrin.gif STANDARD TUNED THIS TIME wink.gif

Keep rocking mates!

Cosmin

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Lydian_Mode_Part_1.gp5 ( 3.29K ) Number of downloads: 163
Attached File  Lydian_Mode_Part_1.pdf ( 109.37K ) Number of downloads: 218

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 6 2012, 10:04 PM
Instructor
Hello hello smile.gif

as last time's v-chat was all about creativity, here are a few pointers on which you can rely when coming up with your own music:

- State of mind - free yourself from all the focus stealing thoughts smile.gif leave aside all the 'I can't write anything' ideas
- Inspiration - it may come from absolutely anywhere, all you have to do is accept the fact that anything can be translated into music, as abstract as it may seem
- Understanding the language you are about to use for self expression (we are talking about music of course) - theory and practice - they represent a very important element in music and you can't read, write or talk if you don't know how - if you get my vibe biggrin.gif
- Using our voice - it is your built in instrument, don't neglect it smile.gif it'll help more than you'll ever imagine
- Translating ideas on your instrument - in our case, the guitar - as long as you can sing something you have internalized perfectly, be it a solo, riff, chord progression, it is obvious that you can reproduce it on any given instrument smile.gif if you can sing it note for note, it means it is INSIDE you already.

Little advice on coming up with a personal idea over a simple chord:

- Chose a chord (we have picked up a lot of those in the last v-chat session)
- See what notes make it up
- See what sort of scales you can play over it
- Sing all those scales over it - you can even try different octaves - maybe your voice can go lower or higher.
- Out of all the scales you used, check out what sort of notes can be emphasized for what results? See the series on modes we have been talking about lately - characteristic scale degrees will help a lot.
- Sing those notes only against the chord
- Now, try to come up with a little melody over the chord - it can contain the special notes we have been talking about above, or not
- Try to create some repetition, but along the way change a few notes

These are but a few hints on coming up with your own lines smile.gif but the fact is, you have to let go of all the things you know, when you are creating, otherwise there's a big fat chance you might be tempted to play what you already know, so that's why the guitar can stay aside and you may use your voice or the piano biggrin.gif

all the best guys and see you on Thursday at 8 PM - we shall chit chat on a Lydian track - one I am preparing for the upcoming collab wink.gif

see you!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 13 2012, 11:40 AM
Instructor
Hey guys! Don't forget to use the tracks in this thread below for exercising your rhythmic phrases smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=41914

As we discussed, everything from small vamps, rhythmic phrases and licks can be used with these tracks wink.gif

Pay attention to keep the timing and tightness (tapping your foot over the passages where the drums are missing can help a lot)

The next session will be tomorrow evening at 10 PM London time and the one next week - on Wednesday, 8 PM London time due to my gigs this week and the next.

all the best you guys and see you tomorrow nite

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Mar 13 2012, 11:42 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 16 2012, 01:09 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! Here's the GP file and PDF containing the things we've been discussing about on Wednesday night smile.gif

1) The lick I started working on for the Lydian Spring Love Song Collab - pay attention to the point where you have to shift to using your pick again after the tapped note - that spot is very tricky laugh.gif

2) As for the three AP patterns - you know the rules wink.gif

- go slow till you get everything flowing and clean
- increase speed while maintaining a relaxed stance for both hands
- pay attention to the fact that the B string has only two notes when ascending and descending - the only exception being at the descending run in Pattern 2 - where I cheated hahahaha biggrin.gif and used 3 notes per string tongue.gif

These patterns can be applied to virtually EVERY scale out there so let me know how it goes wink.gif

see you NEXT WEDNESDAY at 8 PM London Time for a first session on the Mixolydian mode wink.gif

rock n roooooooll

Cosmin

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Lydian_Mode_Part_2.gp5 ( 3.99K ) Number of downloads: 150
Attached File  Lydian_Mode_Part_2.pdf ( 165.89K ) Number of downloads: 224

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 24 2012, 01:07 AM
Instructor
Hey gang here are the lesson notes from March 21st 2012

Mixolydian Mode - Part 1

Formula: 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7

Differentiating scale degrees: b7

Chord types over which the mode fits best: 7,9,13, dom sus4

Typical progressions: I bVII; I bVII IV; I7 Vm; I7 IV; I7 I7sus4; I VIm bVII

Observations:

- because of the b7 differentiating scale degree and the 1,3,5 steps - this mode gives birth to dominant chords and arpeggios
- very much encountered in blues, jazz, country, funk and rock
- it's the funkier alternative to the sweet Ionian mode
- remove the 4 and b7 -> Major Pentatonic Scale (1 2 3 5 6)

Check out the examples in the GP file and let's go through them till next Thursday wink.gif

See you at 8PM next time mates!

Cosmin

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Mixolydian_Part_1.gp5 ( 5.52K ) Number of downloads: 152
Attached File  Mixolydian_Part_1.pdf ( 197.9K ) Number of downloads: 296

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 27 2012, 10:08 AM
Instructor
Hey mates! I will see you on Thursday at 8 PM in the chat room and we will be talking about the Mixolydian mode in famous songs! biggrin.gif Were you ever curious to know what modes hide behind your favorite tune?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 1 2012, 11:55 PM
Instructor
Howdy crew! since I don't think I am allowed to post tabs from other bands, I shall state a few conclusions on the things we have discussed last session:

- The progression D C G D is famous and widely used as a typical mixolydian progression having G major as the parent scale
- The songs we discussed about were Sweet Home Alabama (Lynyrd Skynyrd), Teardrop (Massive Attack), More than a feeling (Boston) and Norwegian Wood (Beatles) there are two more: Hey Jude (Beatles) and Sweet Child o mine (Guns n Roses) which are more or less sharing the same progression.

My advice to you would be to pick up each song and see how the vocal lines connect with the Mixolydian progression - sort out the notes of each vocal lines and see where the characteristic scale degrees of the mode come into play over the progression smile.gif

We shall discuss about the last two songs and we shall enter the Aeolian domain in the next session!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 9 2012, 02:18 PM
Instructor
Hey everyone!

Here are the important knowledge elements in the Aeolian mode:

Aeolian Mode - Part 1

Guys, I summed up the essentials we discussed last Thursday and we shall develop the ideas on Saturday, so stay tuned and let me know if you have any questions, ok?

Aeolian Mode

Formula: 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 ( example:C D Eb F G Ab Bb C)

Differentiating scale degrees: b6

Chord types over which the mode fits best: m, m6, m7, m9, m11

Typical progressions: Im b VII bVI (ex: Am7 G7 FM7); Im IV (ex: Am7 Dm7); I V (ex: Am7 Em7); I bIII bVII (Am7 CM7 G7); Im bVI (Am7 FM7);

Observations:

- The Aeolian mode is the most important of the minor modes - it is the basis for natural minor scale theory
- It can be regarded as a combo between the Phrygian and the Dorian modes, the result being a gloomy and sad sound.
- Try the examples in the PDF and GP files and play around with the harmonic progression types - try to apply the formulas for the E Aeolian mode and see what chords you can use!

See you on Thursday at 8 PM London time, for the second session on the Aeolian mode - we are working on the progression which I uploaded for the new Driving at night collab! biggrin.gif

See you there mates!

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Apr 21 2012, 03:44 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Aeolian_Mode_Part_1.gp5 ( 5.02K ) Number of downloads: 145
Attached File  Aeolian_Mode_Part_1.pdf ( 174.89K ) Number of downloads: 260

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 16 2012, 04:24 PM
Instructor
Ahoy mates! Here are the exercises from Thursday!

smile.gif I would totally recommend trying the second one using various techniques, such as hybrid picking, sweeping and alternate picking. The notes are the same, but the techniques are different and they will allow you to workout on each of those using the same arpeggio shapes smile.gif

The shapes in Exercise 2 can be played against the 'Driving at night' video collab, going on here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...20&start=20

See you next Thursday - 8 o Clock PM London time - for a big dose of Locrian ideas!

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Apr 16 2012, 04:26 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Aeolian_Mode_Part_2.gp5 ( 2.75K ) Number of downloads: 153
Attached File  Aeolian_Mode_Part_2.pdf ( 105.96K ) Number of downloads: 218

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 21 2012, 03:57 PM
Instructor
Aloha crew!

here are the examples which we discussed over on Thursday and some theoretical notions on the Locrian mode:

Locrian Mode

Formula: 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7 ( example:C D Eb F G Ab Bb C)

Differentiating scale degree: b5

Chord types over which the mode fits best: diminished, m7b5, m7b5b9

Typical progressions: Im7b5 IVm7 (ex: Bm7b5 Em7); Im7b5 bVIIm7 (ex: Bm7b5 Am7)

Observations:

- used in the very opposite contexts: jazz and metal
- it is also called the diminished mode, due to the fact that it fits well over the diminished chord structure (1 b3 b5) and over the m7b5 chord, usually the chord bearing the function of II in the II V I minor jazz progression.
- it can be used in the context of developing a Locrian based melody over a single chord played over a greater number of bars - static situation
- In example 3 (GP/ PDF file) you will notice the progression: C G/B Am - in this case (major key progression) the VII chord is rarely used, so it is substituted with the first inversion of a V chord (in our case first inversion of G in the context of the C major scale based progression)

We regard B as the root note and the chord becomes Bm#5 we can use the Locrian mode over it as you will notice.

Try to analyze the notes making up the chords used in the examples and the notes played over them in order to better understand how the modes function. It is a good exercise and I am trying to do it with you in the chat as often as I can tongue.gif that's why I always tell you what notes go where biggrin.gif try it! It's very good

See you next Thursday at 8 PM London time mates!

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Apr 21 2012, 03:57 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Locian_Mode_Part_1.gp5 ( 4.04K ) Number of downloads: 145
Attached File  Locian_Mode_Part_1.pdf ( 143.79K ) Number of downloads: 352

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:10 AM