Which Oh Which
bibomoris
Oct 6 2011, 10:46 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys !!
I have finally chosen my three competitors for my second guitar.
I wanted to ask which of these is the better guitar ! and here they are:
EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD
EPIPHONE LES PAUL CUSTOM
FENDER STANDARD TELECASTER
So yea il appreciate your help guys ! biggrin.gif

Moris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 6 2011, 11:02 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
LPs and Teles are very different. LPs have humbuckers, with thick tone, great for distortion and "fuller" cleans, while teles (usually) have single coils, which are more twangy, bright and thin.

LPs are heavy, and have a harder reach to higher frets. Teles are medium weight and have better access to higher frets.

The biggest problem of epiphones is their stock pickups are usually quite weak, I mean they don't have the real punch of good humbuckers, they are quite mild, cheap, toy sounding. Their wood is also much worse than that on gibsons (they weight much less than their gibson versions, and are usually less balanced, though on LP models that would be less noticiable than on SGs).

All in all, there's no right answer here. You need to play a few songs with each guitar, seee if they have the tone you seek.

In that price range I probably would get neither, but a mexican strat. More versatile, but that's just me. I had a Tele, never liked it.

Best deal for few bucks would probably be getting a second hand gibson SG, faded one. Then again maybe you don't like SGs... Or save a bit more and get a second hand LP Studio, those rock for their price.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
bibomoris
Oct 6 2011, 11:07 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Oct 6 2011, 10:02 PM) *
LPs and Teles are very different. LPs have humbuckers, with thick tone, great for distortion and "fuller" cleans, while teles (usually) have single coils, which are more twangy, bright and thin.

LPs are heavy, and have a harder reach to higher frets. Teles are medium weight and have better access to higher frets.

The biggest problem of epiphones is their stock pickups are usually quite weak, I mean they don't have the real punch of good humbuckers, they are quite mild, cheap, toy sounding. Their wood is also much worse than that on gibsons (they weight much less than their gibson versions, and are usually less balanced, though on LP models that would be less noticiable than on SGs).

All in all, there's no right answer here. You need to play a few songs with each guitar, seee if they have the tone you seek.

In that price range I probably would get neither, but a mexican strat. More versatile, but that's just me. I had a Tele, never liked it.

Best deal for few bucks would probably be getting a second hand gibson SG, faded one. Then again maybe you don't like SGs... Or save a bit more and get a second hand LP Studio, those rock for their price.

Hm i see !
thanks alot for the reply biggrin.gif and You mean second hand epi les paul studio or gibson les paul studio ?
Oh and on more thing. Mexican Strat As in the Standard Fender Stratocaster ?

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Oct 6 2011, 11:27 PM
I'm a Gibson les Paul standard dc player, I love it to bits, good feeling, clean and smooth tone. Best for blues, but good all rounder guitar. However the epiphones are the cheap builds with lower quality materials and pickups. Same like ESP vs ESP ltd, I wouldn't compare them as the same. If your smart you could get it cheap and get new pickups installed but you still lose out on the quality wood which give it that quality tone with the pickups.

The fender would probably be the better option in the case, but try them out and see what feels best.

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
dark dude
Oct 6 2011, 11:30 PM
While Gibson and Epiphone don't generally compare, I've heard great things about the Epiphone Elitist, if you can get your hands on one of those.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Oct 7 2011, 03:56 AM
Just curious, what makes you want to diverge from Ibanez (like you said you have already)? Ibanez are pretty good bang for the buck in almost every model, at least I find. I got a LP after playing a strat & ibanez types for a while and I found it was very hard to adjust to it.

You can get a pretty decent guitar on Ebay (if you can trust them). I got my RG2610 (w/ the pickup in my sig) for $650. Keep in mind, that guitar is still selling (4 years later) for $1200-1300 new on ebay, plus shipping. There is definitely a recession on the US, time to get some cheap deals buying used if you have your cash saved. smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
bibomoris
Oct 7 2011, 09:45 AM
QUOTE (Sircraigery @ Oct 7 2011, 02:56 AM) *
Just curious, what makes you want to diverge from Ibanez (like you said you have already)? Ibanez are pretty good bang for the buck in almost every model, at least I find. I got a LP after playing a strat & ibanez types for a while and I found it was very hard to adjust to it.

You can get a pretty decent guitar on Ebay (if you can trust them). I got my RG2610 (w/ the pickup in my sig) for $650. Keep in mind, that guitar is still selling (4 years later) for $1200-1300 new on ebay, plus shipping. There is definitely a recession on the US, time to get some cheap deals buying used if you have your cash saved. smile.gif

Well I didn't really diverge from ibanez ! i love ibanez guitars alot ! but in my country you cant find those great ibanez guitars that you see on the internet. But yeah do ebay ship to egypt ??

Oh and thanks everybody who took the time to help me out ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 7 2011, 11:03 AM
Instructor
Mate, as the guys said, Gibson style guitars are VERY different from Teles, regarding sound, feel, weight ... Now it depends what you need from your guitar smile.gif it all goes down to that wink.gif

I would love a Telecaster, so, but in the same time I have everything I need from my other guitars, in respect to the stuff I'm playing ONSTAGE. A Telecaster would be a thing which I could use at home for the moment wink.gif although i have a friend who tuned his tele to drop C and it sounds KILLER!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
bibomoris
Oct 7 2011, 11:09 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 7 2011, 10:03 AM) *
Mate, as the guys said, Gibson style guitars are VERY different from Teles, regarding sound, feel, weight ... Now it depends what you need from your guitar smile.gif it all goes down to that wink.gif

I would love a Telecaster, so, but in the same time I have everything I need from my other guitars, in respect to the stuff I'm playing ONSTAGE. A Telecaster would be a thing which I could use at home for the moment wink.gif although i have a friend who tuned his tele to drop C and it sounds KILLER!! biggrin.gif

Oh i see haha biggrin.gif
well im still really trying to figure out what i need =/
maybe a strat, maybe a epiphone or maybe a gibson melody maker and finally maybe a tele xD
still really hard to decide because i dont want to make the wrong choice biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 7 2011, 11:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bibomoris @ Oct 7 2011, 10:09 AM) *
Oh i see haha biggrin.gif
well im still really trying to figure out what i need =/
maybe a strat, maybe a epiphone or maybe a gibson melody maker and finally maybe a tele xD
still really hard to decide because i dont want to make the wrong choice biggrin.gif

You can't go wrong once you know what you want the guitar for smile.gif so think about the following aspects:

- what styles do i like to play?
- what's my budget?
- what kind of guitars are suitable for my hands/ body?

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 7 2011, 11:43 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (bibomoris @ Oct 7 2011, 12:07 AM) *
Hm i see !
thanks alot for the reply biggrin.gif and You mean second hand epi les paul studio or gibson les paul studio ?
Oh and on more thing. Mexican Strat As in the Standard Fender Stratocaster ?

I meant a second hand Gibson LP Studio.
Yeah, the mex strat is teh standard (non US) strat.

QUOTE (Sircraigery @ Oct 7 2011, 04:56 AM) *

+1 japanesse made Ibanez guitars are amazing.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 7 2011, 03:51 PM
Instructor
If I would choose a guitar, I would rather choose US Standard Tele then Epi LP of any kind, US Tele is an awesome guitar for the buck.

If you tell us your budget, and what you like to listen (from music) we could help you more.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Oct 7 2011, 03:54 PM
Instructor
i think it's about the tone man, what kind of tone do you wanna get?

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 7 2011, 04:47 PM
Instructor
yeah, everybody here is right about the big difference in feel and tone between Tele and Les Paul.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
bibomoris
Oct 7 2011, 05:59 PM
Well im more of a metal-ish music listener and i really like blues as well so yeah and my budget is 800 dollars max

This post has been edited by bibomoris: Oct 7 2011, 06:01 PM

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Oct 7 2011, 09:02 PM
The Fender Telecaster is a good axe, not sure for metal, but it can american rock nicely.

If getting Ibanez get one from the RG Prestige series are great for rock/metal/blues, they are quite good.

If getting a Gibson, best for blues but great allrounder rock/metal, you could look second hand, just make sure your careful. Gibson quality can vary from guitar to guitar as their quality control isn't the best, but you get an unique quality from each, also what's the reason for the sell, ensure nothings wrong with it.

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Oct 7 2011, 11:58 PM
Yeah I suppose shipping would be expensive to Egypt, from North America.....
Does ebay have a euro site? That might not be as bad.

I would stick with Ibanez, or you could probably get a Japanese Fender since you are closer.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
bibomoris
Oct 8 2011, 11:27 AM
Hmm i see thanks for the tips biggrin.gif
and yes i know the shipping is very expensive il check if they have a European site smile.gif
I always wanted to stay with Ibanez but the problem is i don't know any good models.
any idea's ? and if so my budget is 800 dollars max.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:55 PM