Wireless Guitar "cables" ?
Robin
Aug 30 2007, 01:10 AM
GMC:er
I might buy a wireless thingie(Not sure about what they are called biggrin.gif) to my guitar, but I think I should ask some questions about it first.

What makes it better than a regular cable?

What makes it worse than a regular cable?

What brand/type should I get?

And does it need batteries or something?

Thanks biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DewLondon
Aug 30 2007, 01:14 AM
I was wondering the same thing exactly.. so glad you posted it! i was also wondering if you get a buzz when your using one..liek you do when you play thru cheap pedals.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Owen
Aug 30 2007, 01:32 AM
The freedom of movement is much better with wireless, the distance you can travel from the amp depends on how good your wireless system is however, some do less, some do more. So if you get a good one you could be psycho enough to venture into the pit.

However, if you get a cheap one there can be loss of audio quality feeding back to the amp from a distance that will worsen depending on how far you are away from the reciever.

The transmitter from the guitar will probably require batteries, the recievers which can be parked on the amp will probably be able to plug into the mains using an adaptor or some sort.

In terms of brands I'm afraid I dont have a clue.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 30 2007, 01:37 AM
Instructor
I guess you refer to Wireless System for guitar!

If you want that and have a good sound quality you'll have to waste over 1000$ because any cheaper model will seriously reduce your signal quality and as a result - tone quality. Also it is Battery powered so you can run out of battery any second. Best thing is to ask yourself: "Do i really need it?"

I also wanted that piece of gear but i only play at home and i don't really need it!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 30 2007, 01:37 AM
QUOTE (Owen @ Aug 30 2007, 12:32 AM) *
The freedom of movement is much better with wireless, the distance you can travel from the amp depends on how good your wireless system is however, some do less, some do more. So if you get a good one you could be psycho enough to venture into the pit.

However, if you get a cheap one there can be loss of audio quality feeding back to the amp from a distance that will worsen depending on how far you are away from the reciever.

The transmitter from the guitar will probably require batteries, the recievers which can be parked on the amp will probably be able to plug into the mains using an adaptor or some sort.

In terms of brands I'm afraid I dont have a clue.

Ok thanks. So there should be no difference in sound as long as I get a decent one?

+Quote Post
Owen
Aug 30 2007, 02:59 AM
Yes, but as Pavel indicates you may need to pay 1000$ and above to get a decent wireless setup.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 30 2007, 03:09 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 30 2007, 12:37 AM) *
I guess you refer to Wireless System for guitar!

If you want that and have a good sound quality you'll have to waste over 1000$ because any cheaper model will seriously reduce your signal quality and as a result - tone quality. Also it is Battery powered so you can run out of battery any second. Best thing is to ask yourself: "Do i really need it?"

I also wanted that piece of gear but i only play at home and i don't really need it!

I didnt notice this post before now, since I posted at the same time.

Anyway, well I guess its not worth it if I got to pay THAT much biggrin.gif We rarely play more than 50 minutes, and the stage is usually rather small.

But thanks anyway guys smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 30 2007, 04:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Owen @ Aug 30 2007, 03:59 AM) *
Yes, but as Pavel indicates you may need to pay 1000$ and above to get a decent wireless setup.

I once heard/read Vai himself talking about it and he mentioned cheap Wireless Systems and advised NOT to get it but also said that good ones are very expensive. If you don't gig on big stages - you don't need it! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Aug 30 2007, 04:55 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 30 2007, 12:37 AM) *

Will need one to get away from that halfstack when it comes.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 30 2007, 05:50 AM
Instructor
Hahahaha that's probably right! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 30 2007, 05:54 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
We used it once, my buddy ran out into the audience while soloing. The audience didn't really get it and were cheering me since they thought I was the one soloing just because they saw me on stage, not him. lol

He almost didn't get back up on stage, ppl thought he was some pushy dude elbowing his way up to the front. LOL, pathetic.

I guess we could have pulled it off if we had told the light guy to cut the scene lights and put a spotlight on him, but we hadn't planned it not even him I think. cool.gif

That Wireless system sounded really good but I have no idea what brand or price, we had only borrowed it for some fun. Don't think there's much use for normal smaller gigs. I think it would be cool to have at home though just to get rid of the cord.

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 30 2007, 07:16 AM
Thanks everyone. I better not buy one biggrin.gif
Maybe "when" we do start touring around the world...

This post has been edited by Robin: Aug 30 2007, 07:18 AM

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 30 2007, 07:32 AM
I had a nady wireless system before.It was a bronze series and i only payed $60.00 US for it.Bottom line one but to be honest it worked fine for me.I'm sure if you were playing live it would maybe be best to have a top of line one.I cant remember which one is better but one of the 2 is the more expensive and better frenquincy UHF,VHF.They do run off a 9volt battery and box has to be pluged into power outlet.I miss mine though it was killer,i could walk all the way to the end of my street and it would pick it up still (like 200feet) and i had crate full stack (still have) that rocked my whole house.If you hate cords geting tagled around you and like to stand and move around when you play i definatly recommend one even if at a cheap price.Only noise i ever got out of mine was if your were standing close to a computer ,tv ect.

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:03 AM