How To Turn A Floating Trem Bridge Into A Fixed One?
Shime
Jan 19 2012, 11:35 AM
GMC:er
I want to temporarily turn the floating trem bridge on my old Aria Pro II into a fixed bridge that doesn't move, so I can experiment more easily with different string gauges, tensions, drop tunings etc.

Any suggestions on how to do this? Just stick pieces of wood under it to stop it from moving?? The good thing is the bridge isn't sunk into the body (not low profile) but sticks out about half a centimetre above it.

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JD_
Jan 19 2012, 12:07 PM
Learning Roadie
http://www.floydupgrades.com/catalog/index...d9ec1ni62om6jp2

I have actually done this, myself too. Very easy and it made a Big difference in tone and sustain.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 19 2012, 12:27 PM
Any of those in Jax's link are good. Quite easy installations too. Wood Blocks are another way to go, believe it or not finding some decent hard wood and spending time on the fit can make quite a difference to the sound too!
smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 19 2012, 04:31 PM
gonna install also, thank you for the link Jax "thumbs up"

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jan 19 2012, 05:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Jan 19 2012, 11:07 AM) *

I have actually done this, myself too. Very easy and it made a Big difference in tone and sustain.

I have done it as well in the past! Works great and sound improved a lot!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 19 2012, 05:57 PM
The links JAX provided are perfect. Adding those bits can give you a lot more flexibility. If you just want to flatten out the trem so it doesn't drift and are not wanting to switch the "float" back on, you can just tighten the springs on the underside to the point where the floyd doesn't shift up under string tension. I've actually got both of my Ibanez set this way. I palm mute quite a bit and a heavy palm mute can cause a floating trem to drift a bit.

QUOTE (Shime @ Jan 19 2012, 05:35 AM) *
I want to temporarily turn the floating trem bridge on my old Aria Pro II into a fixed bridge that doesn't move, so I can experiment more easily with different string gauges, tensions, drop tunings etc.

Any suggestions on how to do this? Just stick pieces of wood under it to stop it from moving?? The good thing is the bridge isn't sunk into the body (not low profile) but sticks out about half a centimetre above it.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 19 2012, 05:57 PM
The links JAX provided are perfect. Adding those bits can give you a lot more flexibility. If you just want to flatten out the trem so it doesn't drift and are not wanting to switch the "float" back on, you can just tighten the springs on the underside to the point where the floyd doesn't shift up under string tension. I've actually got both of my Ibanez set this way. I palm mute quite a bit and a heavy palm mute can cause a floating trem to drift a bit.

QUOTE (Shime @ Jan 19 2012, 05:35 AM) *

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Shime
Jan 19 2012, 10:49 PM
Hey guys and especially Jax, thanks for the suggestions! I wasn't aware those devices existed.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 19 2012, 11:23 PM
Instructor
Have you tried the Tremol-no to do this?

I think it does the trick

Tremol No

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jan 20 2012, 02:26 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
http://www.tremol-no.com/default.asp

Has an on/ off switch of sorts as well, pretty cool although I havent tried it myself

EDIT

Daniel beat me to it

+Quote Post
jaredvanearle
Jan 20 2012, 12:28 PM
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Jan 19 2012, 11:07 AM) *

great idea. and pretty easy to make a custom job of it yourself!!

I have locked my floyd in place for a while. i always used a stack of pocker chips (lucky some may say, or possibly total mcgymver style) wedged in the back with 3 spring. it keeps bridge perfectly flat and allows you to tune a stop or so down before you have to adjust your jerry-rigging. i've always been able to keep nice sustain and used it live a few times although it renders your whammy completely useless and essentialy turns your floyd into a fixed bridge..

I like the idea of still being able to dive and i might be rewatching those links very soon, thanks jax laugh.gif

+Quote Post
JD_
Jan 20 2012, 01:21 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys, your most welcome indeed.
Only thing I will say about this is make sure this is what you want to do.... it is a permant upgrade, as you drill 2 small holes into the rear of the body of your guitar.... It's an easy install, but make sure it's what you want.

Adam River who owns the compant responds to questions etc fairly quick, so u have support also.

A big bonus of this, is once tyhe bridge is fixed, you can install a EVH D-Tuna! Essentially change tuning from the low E string to D while playing.... or even, from drop D to C.

Cheers

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jan 19 2012, 03:31 PM) *
gonna install also, thank you for the link Jax "thumbs up"

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 19 2012, 04:57 PM) *

QUOTE (Shime @ Jan 19 2012, 09:49 PM) *
Hey guys and especially Jax, thanks for the suggestions! I wasn't aware those devices existed.

QUOTE (jaredvanearle @ Jan 20 2012, 11:28 AM) *
great idea. and pretty easy to make a custom job of it yourself!!

I have locked my floyd in place for a while. i always used a stack of pocker chips (lucky some may say, or possibly total mcgymver style) wedged in the back with 3 spring. it keeps bridge perfectly flat and allows you to tune a stop or so down before you have to adjust your jerry-rigging. i've always been able to keep nice sustain and used it live a few times although it renders your whammy completely useless and essentialy turns your floyd into a fixed bridge..

I like the idea of still being able to dive and i might be rewatching those links very soon, thanks jax laugh.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:49 PM