2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Female Vocalists
Duncan
Oct 1 2009, 02:41 AM
GMC:er
I've always had a soft spot for really good female vocalists. So balls to all this guitar stuff, what's your favourite female vocalists. A few of my favourites include Whitney Houston and Tonni Braxton. Some of their stuff just gives me goosebumps. Incredible voices.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Duncan: Oct 1 2009, 02:42 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Oct 1 2009, 04:22 AM
Joan Osborne
I met Joan a few times in Philly, she and her band were always very cool to me.

Johnette Napolitano
I don't like her solo stuff, but she was great in concrete blond(e). However, I can't help think one of my two favorites they did was really covering a Leonard Cohen song.

Pink
If you hadn't been brave enough to mention Whitney and Tonni, I'd have been real shy about admitting my respect for P!nk. Another Philly girl (suburbs tho) and while I don't always get into the styles of music she has explored, this lady can really belt it out like a pro.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
vampire18
Oct 1 2009, 06:10 AM
Learning Rock Star
turja from nightwish

--------------------

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Oct 1 2009, 08:01 AM
Learning Tone Master
I also agree with Joan Osborne, she has beautiful music!
Also, Chan Marshall (Cat Power). Everyone should check her out her music, if you haven't already. smile.gif
And also again, Kotoko! Again, everyone should check it out smile.gif

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 1 2009, 09:42 AM
Instructor
There are some great ones that I like. If you're talking about the modern commercial pop singers you have already mentioned a couple of great names. I also like Christina Aguilera. Her song "I Turn to You" to me sounds like the best modern female vocal performance. Some true rock guy with 1 meter long hair was probably sitting behind the mixing desk and made something incredible smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HpbhFkplvI

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: Oct 1 2009, 09:43 AM

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 1 2009, 11:29 AM
Janis Joplin,

Stevie Nicks,

I was at a Festival and was walking through an Indoor Stage to get to somewhere else and heard this woman singing backed by just a guy with an Acoustic Guitar. The hairs on my neck stood on end!
I'd never heard of her at that point but the following year her first Record got to No 1!

The Godmother of Soul:-

I also urge you to check out Sam Brown.
Apart from her solo stuff she's also a permanent part of the backing singers for Pink Floyd when they play live and she also sings with Jools Holland and his Rhythm and Blues Orchestra as well as being a well know Session Singer.

I could go on, but I'd better let someone else get a word in!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Oct 1 2009, 11:30 AM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Oct 1 2009, 12:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
Here are some great female musicians I love: these chicks rock!! Anouk, Beth hart & Sass Jordan:

Anouk

Beth Hart

Sass Jordan - High Road Easy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXwBbzOEQ58 (sorry include from youtube was prohibited)

This post has been edited by playaxeman: Oct 1 2009, 12:10 PM

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

Effects
Korg Pandora PX5D, Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording
Guitar Rig 5, Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Magix MusicMaker2008

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
Gus
Oct 1 2009, 03:11 PM
I really like amy lee, sheryl crow, Norah Jones, Jewel.

One performance that I am always find myself listening to is Anna Nalick, Breathe 2.am acoustic. Guitar + angelic voice. Simple but really really nice wub.gif

This post has been edited by Gus: Oct 1 2009, 03:12 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Nadir
Oct 1 2009, 03:34 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Joruus
Oct 1 2009, 04:27 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Sharon den Adel -from Within Temptation wub.gif

This post has been edited by Joruus: Oct 1 2009, 04:28 PM

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Ibanez Jem 7vwh, Ibanez RG 350 DX, Gibson Les Paul Studio
Effects: Line 6 PODxt + FBV MKII Express pedal
Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 15

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 1 2009, 04:55 PM
Instructor
Blackmore's Night is great project smile.gif Thanks Nadir

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 1 2009, 04:59 PM
Instructor
If you like Whitney Houston, check out Aretha, she was her idol. Just sit back and listen to that voice man, she makes it looks so easy!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
itsjim
Oct 1 2009, 05:19 PM
Tarja from Nightwish has an amazing voice, also Angela Gossow from Arch Enemy (not the typical female singer but still awesome)

+Quote Post
CathShadow
Oct 1 2009, 05:57 PM
I honestly PREFER female voices in music. ESPECTIALLY rock, and metal.
To mention a few:

Brooke Fraser

Lacey Mosely

Лу (lu)

нуки (Nookie)

Luciana Segovia

--------------------

+Quote Post
Murloc
Oct 1 2009, 06:15 PM
Learning Roadie
Hah! There are no good female vocalists!

This post has been edited by Murloc: Oct 1 2009, 06:15 PM

+Quote Post
vampire18
Oct 1 2009, 08:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
i dont remember what movie, i saw that in some documentary that they interview some girl band and they say that boys can be as ugly as they want while females in the metal world as to be hot to succeed. mainy because 90% of fans are male.take people you mentioned like:

Lacey Mosely
Nookie
Luciana Segovia
Tarja

im not saying they have to be super models but look at what happaned when nightwish changed singer, people pretty much dislike the new one, and in mho shes just as good a singer and reading that latter even thogh one sided you can see tarja was a less the pleasent women

--------------------

+Quote Post
Disturbed21
Oct 1 2009, 08:52 PM
I can go on...and on...and on...yeah and on...

Heres a few

Lisa Johansson (Draconian)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDYtop1USP4 (cant find a live video unfortunately)

Carmen Simoes (Ava Inferi)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPJv0hDBkpY

Alright not gonna put a big list (if you want one well..my last.fm is in my sig look at that tongue.gif )

This post has been edited by Disturbed21: Oct 1 2009, 08:56 PM

--------------------
Enter The Doom And Gloom If You Dare Below This Message

http://www.last.fm/user/Disturbed21

and add if you want...

+Quote Post
Young Guitarist
Oct 1 2009, 08:53 PM
Luciana Segovia

+1

--------------------
Rock On!

+Quote Post
CathShadow
Oct 1 2009, 08:54 PM
QUOTE (vampire18 @ Oct 1 2009, 09:25 PM) *
i dont remember what movie, i saw that in some documentary that they interview some girl band and they say that boys can be as ugly as they want while females in the metal world as to be hot to succeed. mainy because 90% of fans are male.take people you mentioned like:

Lacey Mosely
Nookie
Luciana Segovia
Tarja

im not saying they have to be super models but look at what happaned when nightwish changed singer, people pretty much dislike the new one, and in mho shes just as good a singer and reading that latter even thogh one sided you can see tarja was a less the pleasent women

Actually I hated nightwish until the new singer - I find the new girls voice MUCH better.

honestly, I just prefer the sound of the female voice in conjunction with the guitars etc.

That said... I can get what you're saying though..

--------------------

+Quote Post
OzRob
Oct 3 2009, 08:58 AM
Charlotte from Delain
Cristina from Lacuna Coil

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:30 PM