Double Stops?
LYNCH-FAN
Jun 18 2008, 12:50 AM
GMC:er
Hi.
Does any of us know a pro guitar player who primarily uses "double-stops" in their playing? Also wondering if, as a player using only (mostly) double stops...would you be able to function in a rock/metal band? I'm speaking solely playing riffs/rhythms?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by LYNCH-FAN: Jun 18 2008, 12:53 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 18 2008, 01:00 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hmm Chuck Berry and Ted Nugent do them a lot but I also heard them in some KISS and even Pantera Songs

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 18 2008, 01:31 AM
Instructor
ALso yo can hear a lot of double stops in Eagles playing.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
LYNCH-FAN
Jun 18 2008, 01:35 AM
Hmmmm. I'm a h-u-g-e KISS fan. Can you tell me some songs ( a beginner) should be able to grasp?
Just so I'm clear...."double-stops", are two notes played at the same time...right? Anywhere on here I can find more info on this?.

This post has been edited by LYNCH-FAN: Jun 18 2008, 01:36 AM

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Jun 18 2008, 02:27 AM
Instructor
Mark Knopfler uses alot of double stops as well.

And by the suggestion of your name, Lynch does alot of double stop work too, but not nearly as much as Knopfler.

As far as being effective only playing double stops, i don't know i can really answer that. You would have to try it and see, i don't see why you couldnt, but you would have to really develop a unique style to pull it off effectively imo.

And yes, Doublestops means playing 2 notes at once.

Another guitarist that i can think of that uses alot of double-stops and chords layered into his lead work is Andy Timmons, i think Timmons has the best of both worlds with his lead playing.

Daniel

This post has been edited by Daniel Robinson: Jun 18 2008, 02:29 AM

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
LYNCH-FAN
Jun 18 2008, 02:29 AM
Thanks for all the help. If anyone else has any comments....please...I want to hear from all of you. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 18 2008, 10:22 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Arguably the one who pioneered double stops was the jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery - you can hear Wes's influence on early George Benson recordings as well.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
adgardad
Feb 20 2010, 05:17 AM
I think that a lot of guitar players use double stops (or diads) as part of their playing style. I also play fiddle, mandolin and banjo and I use a lot of double stops there as well. Its another tool to put in the toolbox. I'm not sure if any guitarists would play, or want to play, in only double stops, any more than most would want to use all sweep picking all the time, or all legato or all finger taps. Well ok, there is Stanley Jordan...

This lesson is an example of the style of country guitar that has come to be called "chicken pickin". Double stops are certainly a big part of that style, but not the only part. It has a rich legacy of players: Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West, James Burton, Don Rich, Joe Maphis, Roy Nichols, Chet Atkins, Albert Lee, Ray Flacke, Danny Gatton, The Hellecasters, Ricky Skaggs, Steve Wariner, Vince Gill, Brent Mason, Brad Paisley - just to name some off the top of my head. Paisley has a instrumental on his new album called "Cluster Pluck" that is a tribute to chicken pickin and has many of these players on it as guests (Google it!).

I think that country guitar gets kind of a bad rap from players of a lot of other styles but country players are not only well versed in country music styles but most know much about a lot of other styles as well. I love everything - from Merle Travis and Doc Watson to Django and George Benson to Malmsteen and Petrucci.

Rusty - There needs to be more country guitar represented on GMC and I look forward to seeing more lessons by you soon.

This post has been edited by adgardad: Feb 20 2010, 05:35 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:34 PM