blindwillie
Feb 3 2008, 02:30 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Muris @ Feb 2 2008, 01:53 AM) *
Of course I didn't say that!!!
I sad his solo playing isn't that unique for my taste and view,
like per example Knopfler,Jeff Beck,Blackmore,Hendrix etc ,
these guys have their own VEERY powerful trademark,
even today which is quite amazing,you try to copy them a bit and it'd be sooo obvious.
I putted more light on his solo parts cause most the In Style Lessons here are solo stuff,correct me if I'm wrong.
And finally,we are ALL aware of the fact that soloing is just a small piece of being guitarist,musician generally.
Composing,innovations,generation leader, I would say those are major parts of Page's greatness! smile.gif

Great, thanks. I see what you ment now biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
inertia
Feb 3 2008, 04:09 PM
QUOTE (Muris @ Feb 2 2008, 07:58 PM) *
And once more I've been misunderstood smile.gif
Page's leads ARE great,I wasn't talking of greatness(you define it) but of uniqueness,a special stamp.
Many players have great and powerful leads but without major personality imho.

Actually Muris I was not referring to your comments, I understood what you were saying exactly, that his style was not particularly unique leadwise smile.gif
It's just that after you said that others were saying that they did not think his leads were great, which again is opinion/preference, I was just a bit surprised is all

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Feb 4 2008, 12:06 AM
Instructor
I agree with muris Page´s uniques are about the sond of the whole groove, how he recorded and make sounds the guitar/s the textures, the micking, etc his lead for it´s notes alone are not unique in comparison with his less known predecessor or even his contemporary, also the fact that´s is not the guitar playing alone it´s how the whole band that sound so special. I would´t like a lesson of some pentatonic riffing with some lifeless library sample backing track.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Feb 4 2008, 09:46 PM
QUOTE (Muris @ Feb 3 2008, 01:58 AM) *
And once more I've been misunderstood smile.gif
Page's leads ARE great,I wasn't talking of greatness(you define it) but of uniqueness,a special stamp.

Muris, you are wrong! laugh.gif
Imitate a guy in big numbers and over time, his playing goes from being unique to being mainstream. wink.gif

QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Feb 3 2008, 02:06 AM) *
Page took a new view of rhythm guitar and thus made tons of cool riffs and rhythms. However his soloing is pretty much just basic pentatonic licks, nothing special really.

You are dead wrong here! smile.gif
First: basic pentatonic licks did not exsist back then - they became basic after Page played them first. tongue.gif
Second: Page is known for using Celtic and melodic minor a lot, including classical modal stuff and more exotic scales.
Third: Blues really is based around the pentatonic. Page grew rock from the Blues, remember?

If it weren't for Page we wouldn't have Slash thirty years later.. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 4 2008, 10:05 PM
QUOTE (jacmoe @ Feb 4 2008, 08:46 PM) *
If it weren't for Page we wouldn't have Slash thirty years later.. smile.gif

I hate Page even more now smile.gif

I want Stone Temple Pilots back. What is Scott Weiland doing with that useless guy.Stone Temple Pilots = Awesome, Velvet Revolver = WHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY sad.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Slammer
Feb 4 2008, 10:28 PM
laugh.gif

Well, Jimmy Page used to be my favorite-well tied with Clapton.

I used to be really into his music and I use to be able alot of his solos note for note. But After awhile, I guess I got a little bored.

So I understand how the Page fanatics feel, cuz I was once one.

The thing you have to remember about Page is that most of Zeppelin's Best known Work came out between '68-72.
Mainly the first four albums which are the most well known.

And in '69 or so when songs Like, "Dazed and Confused,Communication Breakdown,Good Times Bad Times, Heartbreaker" etc. came out it must of been Revolutionary for the time.

Esp, the solo on Heartbreaker-When it came out in 1969. I think it was almost like Shredding before anyone even knew what Shredding was.

And JP definetly Inspired countless guitar players like Slash and Zakk Wylde etc.

But... The thing that JP is known as is the Riffmaster.

If you've heard any of LZ music you will definetly admit that some of the Riffs are catchy.

That what I think of when I think of Page, His Riffs more than his Solos.

Although I've Always Enjoyed This Solo
laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 4 2008, 11:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jacmoe @ Feb 4 2008, 09:46 PM) *
Muris, you are wrong! laugh.gif
Imitate a guy in big numbers and over time, his playing goes from being unique to being mainstream. wink.gif

I was talking about leads,his RIFFS are mainstream. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Gus
Feb 5 2008, 12:57 AM
As polemic as the topic turned to be I have to start by saying that I fully agree that a Jimmy Page style lesson is urgent wink.gif . However, that will be quite a hard job, as I try to explain below.

As always, we can only talk about our favorite guitarists, not about best guitarists. Some people think that the best is the most famous, other people think is the most technical, or the most impressive. I just put them there for what my ears like (something that actually can change during time). So in the end, we can't really use the word best when we should just say favorite.
In fact Jimmy Page is #1 in my favorite guitarist list. Still I understand what Muris tried to say. Take Mark Knopfler for example. If someone sing a verse and then try to complement that with some lick played with 3 fingers and it will be hard to say he is not being imitated.
So I think it is way easier to capture the signature of Mark Knopfler and turn that into a style lesson than doing the same with Jimmy Page. Stating that does not make MK better than JP nor vice versa.

What makes a JP style? Pentatonic scales? Using alternative tunings in acoustic records? Mandolin solos? Using a bow in a guitar? Maybe it is versatility that makes it hard to define his style. We probably need a bunch of JP lessons, each of them just analyzing one aspect.

Another thing that is amazing is the way he blended with the rest of Led.
Look at Lemon song. That is probably more well known for being one of the best bass grooves ever. But think about the vocals. 0.01% of the human population may ever dream of singing like that (women included). All of that with such cool drums and rhythmic variations. Now listen to the guitar. Oh here is another cool riff. And then, OMG, the guitar is crying. Now it is speaking. Now it echoes Plant's voice. And squeezing a lemonade... Well, just listen to it with open mind.
Another example of ultra creative stuff. Look at D'yer Mak'er. Who would figure out to play reggae in that way?

P.S. I guess also that JP proved my theory that playing les pauls for many years will make your shoulders unequal ( I love the sound but, did it need to be that heavy?) tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Gus: Feb 5 2008, 01:21 AM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Feb 7 2008, 09:15 PM
QUOTE (Muris @ Feb 4 2008, 11:30 PM) *
I was talking about leads,his RIFFS are mainstream. wink.gif

Sorry for digging up this topic, but RealLife was pulling me away..

I agree that Page - by todays standards - isn't much of a lead guitarist. He's too sloppy.
He was probably the first pentatonic shredder around, in his day.
Without argue the most imitated and influential guitarist ever - he paved the way. And showed the world how a rock star behaves. laugh.gif

His riffing is awesome - even by todays standards. biggrin.gif

So, yeah. Pretty difficult to make a soloing lesson about him, but a melodic minor riffing lesson or two would be possible to make. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 7 2008, 11:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jacmoe @ Feb 7 2008, 09:15 PM) *
Sorry for digging up this topic, but RealLife was pulling me away..

I agree that Page - by todays standards - isn't much of a lead guitarist. He's too sloppy.
He was probably the first pentatonic shredder around, in his day.
Without argue the most imitated and influential guitarist ever - he paved the way. And showed the world how a rock star behaves. laugh.gif

His riffing is awesome - even by todays standards. biggrin.gif

So, yeah. Pretty difficult to make a soloing lesson about him, but a melodic minor riffing lesson or two would be possible to make. smile.gif

This is not fair,your english is a lot better than mine
so everyone understand what you're saying!! laugh.gif
Joking,well said,just what I wanted to describe,thanks . smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:33 PM