Ehhhh....i Think I Screwed Up
JTaylor
Mar 12 2012, 12:11 PM
Apprentice Roadie
Okay, in a nutshell: I had my new guitar set up. I didn't care for the height of the action (too high) so I took it back. They were very nice and sat down with me, showing me the clearances it was set at and went over it with a fine tooth comb. It sounded great. They told me it probably felt too high because I have never played a guitar with jumbo frets. Late Saturday and Sunday, I just had to tweak it myself and see how low I could get it. Now it sounds like crap and I have no idea how to get it back where it should be. My pride and lack of money won't let me take it back to have it set up again. Any way to fix this on my own? If it matters, it has a Floyd Rose and the frets are compound radius (?). Not sure if that is the right terminology but the frets are higher in the middle (G and D strings) than on the sides (E strings).

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dark dude
Mar 12 2012, 12:41 PM
GMC:er
Hey JT, what do you mean it sounds like crap? The notes cut out?

Also, what exactly did you change, just the height of the bridge?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 12 2012, 12:51 PM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (dark dude @ Mar 12 2012, 07:41 AM) *
Hey JT, what do you mean it sounds like crap? The notes cut out?

Also, what exactly did you change, just the height of the bridge?

fret buzz and some notes cutting out. No problem on distortion but clean is bad. Yes, just the height of the bridge. I'm looking through the old forums and finding some good stuff. I think I was adjusting it too fast. I'm not used to having a rounded (?) fretboard. It felt fine when I tried it out but I'm still trying to get used to it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dark dude
Mar 12 2012, 12:54 PM
If you only changed the bridge height, it should be as easy as putting it back up. I assume you've tried this - what's going wrong here?

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 12 2012, 01:14 PM
Apprentice Roadie
well, I read in my owners manual if the action is adjusted to the wrong height, it will void my warranty. I never heard of that before and it sounds like hogwash, but now I am worried about messing up the guitar itself.

QUOTE (JTaylor @ Mar 12 2012, 08:04 AM) *
well, I read in my owners manual if the action is adjusted to the wrong height, it will void my warranty. I never heard of that before and it sounds like hogwash, but now I am worried about messing up the guitar itself.

Just found the settings in the manual! That's what I was looking for and read right over it. It also says "any problems arising from lowering the string below factory specifications will not be covered." I never heard of it messing a guitar up before. huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Mar 12 2012, 01:22 PM
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Mar 12 2012, 08:14 AM) *

Just found the settings in the manual! That's what I was looking for and read right over it. It also says "any problems arising from lowering the string below factory specifications will not be covered." I never heard of it messing a guitar up before. huh.gif

If you didn't touch the truss rod or mess with your springs I wouldn't worry about it. Just slowly raise that baby back up till the noise goes away and re-tune it and all is back to normal. I wouldn't worry of what you did as anything that can hurt it, just sound bad. Easy way is to make the floyd look straight from the back to the front.

As seen in I.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 12 2012, 01:33 PM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Mar 12 2012, 08:22 AM) *
If you didn't touch the truss rod or mess with your springs I wouldn't worry about it. Just slowly raise that baby back up till the noise goes away and re-tune it and all is back to normal. I wouldn't worry of what you did as anything that can hurt it, just sound bad. Easy way is to make the floyd look straight from the back to the front.

As seen in I.

Cool! Thank you and thank you DarkDude as well!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mad
Mar 12 2012, 01:39 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
hi jt,

could you post a pic from your bridge? I did the setup for my FR-Guitar by myself last year and adjusting the string action wasn't a problem at all..

+Quote Post
dark dude
Mar 12 2012, 04:18 PM
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Mar 12 2012, 12:33 PM) *
Cool! Thank you and thank you DarkDude as well!

No problem, that's a great diagram SM posted.

If you had fiddled with the truss rod or the intonation, you'd have way more work to do, but as SM said, just raise it up a bit, tune it back up, let it sit for a while and check if it's better. Repeat until it's back to before, no worries at all. Just don't rush this process, the floyd needs to adjust, so take your time, at worst you'll end up with a bit higher action if you rush it.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 12 2012, 05:21 PM
Apprentice Roadie
I think she is all better now! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Thanks again guys! I found some of the problem was that I was playing through my computer speakers which, while playing music just fine, can give a totally different sound than my amp. I adjusted the rest and it sounds fine (no buzz).
PS mad: I don't think it's gonna be possible to post a pic of it just yet (my camera doesn't like to cooperate sometimes) but thanks for being willing to help out! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Mar 12 2012, 07:45 PM
Learning Tone Master
Also, I wouldn't be worried about the warranty not covering that, JT. I think they just want to avoid thousands of people each year doing exactly what you did, and bringing it back for "warranty service", when it's not really a warranty issue.

In my opinion, unless you have the tools and knowledge to perform an accurate setup, it's best to go to someone who know what they're doing, and also will be patient enough to listen to your needs and perhaps explain a bit about the setup process along the way!

I used to be addicted to the "lowest string height possible" for years! Eventually, I grew away from that. I would suggest attempting to adapt to the height suggested by your tech. I play a parker nitefly with jumbo hardened steel frets (and a very unique shape/edge), but fortunately I just fell in love with the action immediately! The guy I bought it from works on guitars (amazing work....cheap!) and it was set up perfectly....until I "locked" the bridge!! Then I had buzz everywhere! Ick! Anyway, he fixed in for free and also "blocked" my bridge with a wooden block, since the parker "locked" bridge isn't truly locked! He taught me a bunch about guitars while performing the setup. More than anything, I learned that a mere 1/64th of an inch makes a HUGE difference! So, I don't adjust my own setups anymore, and leave it to the pros! tongue.gif

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 12 2012, 08:28 PM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (derper @ Mar 12 2012, 02:45 PM) *
Also, I wouldn't be worried about the warranty not covering that, JT. I think they just want to avoid thousands of people each year doing exactly what you did, and bringing it back for "warranty service", when it's not really a warranty issue.

In my opinion, unless you have the tools and knowledge to perform an accurate setup, it's best to go to someone who know what they're doing, and also will be patient enough to listen to your needs and perhaps explain a bit about the setup process along the way!

I used to be addicted to the "lowest string height possible" for years! Eventually, I grew away from that. I would suggest attempting to adapt to the height suggested by your tech. I play a parker nitefly with jumbo hardened steel frets (and a very unique shape/edge), but fortunately I just fell in love with the action immediately! The guy I bought it from works on guitars (amazing work....cheap!) and it was set up perfectly....until I "locked" the bridge!! Then I had buzz everywhere! Ick! Anyway, he fixed in for free and also "blocked" my bridge with a wooden block, since the parker "locked" bridge isn't truly locked! He taught me a bunch about guitars while performing the setup. More than anything, I learned that a mere 1/64th of an inch makes a HUGE difference! So, I don't adjust my own setups anymore, and leave it to the pros! tongue.gif

Thanks! Yeah, I think I learned my lesson on this one! rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 12 2012, 11:13 PM
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Mar 12 2012, 12:21 PM) *
I think she is all better now! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Thanks again guys! I found some of the problem was that I was playing through my computer speakers which, while playing music just fine, can give a totally different sound than my amp. I adjusted the rest and it sounds fine (no buzz).
PS mad: I don't think it's gonna be possible to post a pic of it just yet (my camera doesn't like to cooperate sometimes) but thanks for being willing to help out! smile.gif

That would do it smile.gif It's tough to trust computer speakers. If at all possible, try to get a starter set of studio monitors at the next possible juncture. Anything, Bday, xmas, graduation, etc. You'll be glad you did smile.gif Fireball recently got a pair of Alesis MK2's and it really changed things for his recording/mixing.

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 13 2012, 02:10 AM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 12 2012, 06:13 PM) *
That would do it smile.gif It's tough to trust computer speakers. If at all possible, try to get a starter set of studio monitors at the next possible juncture. Anything, Bday, xmas, graduation, etc. You'll be glad you did smile.gif Fireball recently got a pair of Alesis MK2's and it really changed things for his recording/mixing.

I never knew that before now. Almost all of my REC's have had distortion but there is no way I can submit one that is clean with this setup. I'm learning Sinisa's brand new lesson and, when I do that REC, I am just going to have to use my regular mic and run through my multi-effects and amp. I've worked on that this evening and, while it doesn't sound the greatest, it certainly sounds infinitely better than running through Audacity. Unfortunately, I just got laid off, so monitors are nowhere in the near future. However, my wife wrote down our new budget and (without me even asking her to) kept GMC in it! What a girl! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by JTaylor: Mar 13 2012, 02:22 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 13 2012, 06:48 PM
Instructor
Here is a good article about setting up the guitar
http://www.playrecord.net/resource/article...up-a-guitar.php

Let me know if it works! If it doesn't you can Skype me and I will help you to figure it out!

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 13 2012, 11:33 PM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Mar 13 2012, 01:48 PM) *
Here is a good article about setting up the guitar
http://www.playrecord.net/resource/article...up-a-guitar.php

Let me know if it works! If it doesn't you can Skype me and I will help you to figure it out!

I'll check it out Alex! Thank you! I'm really hoping I can get some better clean sound out of this. I got the Jackson JS32R and the Boss ME-25. Both are way better (or so I thought) than the Ibanez GSA-60 and the Digitech RP-80 I replaced them with. I'm just not understanding why I cannot get a full clean sound ohmy.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 14 2012, 12:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Mar 13 2012, 10:33 PM) *
I'll check it out Alex! Thank you! I'm really hoping I can get some better clean sound out of this. I got the Jackson JS32R and the Boss ME-25. Both are way better (or so I thought) than the Ibanez GSA-60 and the Digitech RP-80 I replaced them with. I'm just not understanding why I cannot get a full clean sound ohmy.gif .

I understand how frustrating it can be! Just try a few things and if it still doesn't work let me know!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:26 AM