> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

18 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 >  
Bleez's Mentoring Thread
bleez
Oct 10 2014, 09:54 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I dont think I do any ear training, not intentionally anyway! It sounds like something you do without a guitar in your hand, I try to spend all available practice time playing 'something'. I know I dont have a particularly good ear, its a weak area for sure, unfortunately its not the only weak area but it's not one that Ive really addressed too much at this point.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 12 2014, 11:30 AM
Instructor
Well Scott, it's a very important area of practicing - you guys always think that practicing means playing the guitar smile.gif Well, how about if we listen to a line and I will ask you to tell me what notes does that line have in it, knowing the tonality in which it is played? Our ears are more important than anything, because if you can hear well and you have trained your relative pitch - that means being able to recognize notes by hearing them played in respect to a given tonality - you will be an all powerful musician - much more powerful than one who can play fast alternate picking lines biggrin.gif

This is done by learning how to differentiate intervals at first, so diving into a little theory would not hurt - learning intervals to begin with. What do you think, would you be up for it?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 13 2014, 08:39 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
actually, a while ago Gabe told me I should start learning theory by beginning with intervals! I guess I really should smile.gif Ive always struggled with theory tbh. Ive never been able to really understand much of it. I'll need to add some extra time to look at theory, I dont want to lose any playing time cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 13 2014, 10:32 AM
Instructor
Mate, I think that if you don't have any extra time to put into learning and applying theory, you should take time from playing in order to dedicate it totheory learning. One of the important reasons why you are feeling stuck with your musical knowledge would disappear if you would take the time to understand theory and learn to apply it wink.gif

Intervals are the PERFECt way to start out, so let me know what you think and I can throw some assignments for you in respect to interval training. But you need to stick to it wink.gif Deal?

QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 13 2014, 07:39 AM) *
actually, a while ago Gabe told me I should start learning theory by beginning with intervals! I guess I really should smile.gif Ive always struggled with theory tbh. Ive never been able to really understand much of it. I'll need to add some extra time to look at theory, I dont want to lose any playing time cool.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 13 2014, 12:59 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
sounds cool to me biggrin.gif Ive gotten lost with theory before so it should be fun cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 14 2014, 02:07 PM
Instructor
Excellent choice smile.gif Listen Scott, I want you to spend about 30min/day with this smile.gif First off, read the first 3 entries in this thread: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0#entry644329

Afterwards, please try the following drill, associated with major intervals:

- play the C note on your fretboard (A chord, 3rd position)
- play the E note - in the same time with the C note and then separately - C and then E
- play the C note and sing the E note
- while singing the E note, play it and see how close you are smile.gif

- try the following drill viceversa - starting with the major third - E and playing and then singin the C note (root) against it to see if you memorized it.
- try the drill with all the C notes and E notes on the neck

Let me know how it goes and we'll take it from there, deal?

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 15 2014, 08:29 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
okay duder, I'll give that a go smile.gif
Ive always been slow at picking up theory so....... bear with me cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 16 2014, 07:45 AM
Instructor
Hey Scott! I'm here to help out, as usual, so in the same way you are asking questions about playing in general, please ask about the things you want to understand better after reading through the materials I sent, deal? smile.gif It's really the same procedure all in all, but the difference is made by doing it or not doing it laugh.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 17 2014, 08:30 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 16 2014, 07:45 AM) *
Hey Scott! I'm here to help out, as usual, so in the same way you are asking questions about playing in general, please ask about the things you want to understand better after reading through the materials I sent, deal? smile.gif It's really the same procedure all in all, but the difference is made by doing it or not doing it laugh.gif

thanks duder smile.gif I'll make a start on the theory this weekend and let you know how I get on with it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 17 2014, 08:43 AM
Instructor
I'm definitely looking forward to that, Scott! smile.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 15 2014, 05:59 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
hey dude, I took another recording of the peter green lesson. Its maybe a little closer than last time.

This post has been edited by bleez: Nov 15 2014, 06:00 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 15 2014, 07:01 PM
Instructor
Hey man!

Whoa, you have nice bending and vibrato skills here biggrin.gif I think that the only thing that can be technically improved is that little bend around 0:16, which is just a WEE bit under pitched. Otherwise, I think that the overall feeling is great and I have a hunch you can take this in the REC zone to see what the guys have to say smile.gif What do you think, Scott?

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 16 2014, 12:54 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 15 2014, 06:01 PM) *
Hey man!

Whoa, you have nice bending and vibrato skills here biggrin.gif I think that the only thing that can be technically improved is that little bend around 0:16, which is just a WEE bit under pitched. Otherwise, I think that the overall feeling is great and I have a hunch you can take this in the REC zone to see what the guys have to say smile.gif What do you think, Scott?

Awesome biggrin.gif I'll fire it into REC, Ive not posted a lesson there for ages!
Its about the most musical thing Ive worked on in the last month. I downloaded a few really nice backing tracks to try coming up with melodies using some different scales like you suggested ( and of course using a few cheeky wee minor pents! ) Everything I played really sucked, kinda lost my mojo on that side of things, so Ive just been hammering metronome exercises these last few weeks. I'll try to get my head back into the areas you suggested.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 16 2014, 08:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 15 2014, 11:54 PM) *
Awesome biggrin.gif I'll fire it into REC, Ive not posted a lesson there for ages!
Its about the most musical thing Ive worked on in the last month. I downloaded a few really nice backing tracks to try coming up with melodies using some different scales like you suggested ( and of course using a few cheeky wee minor pents! ) Everything I played really sucked, kinda lost my mojo on that side of things, so Ive just been hammering metronome exercises these last few weeks. I'll try to get my head back into the areas you suggested.

I'll go grade as soon as I see it there smile.gif Scott, Scott... you need to get out of your comfort zone, matey wink.gif Why didn't I see any of those ideas that sucked so bad? Eh? I bet there was good stuff there and that we could've made it even better together smile.gif Hammering exercises with the metronome, won't help you become good at expressing yourself and you know that - stop trying to look away froom what you already know you have to do, mate smile.gif C'mon, record something for your mate and send it here, deal?

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 16 2014, 11:47 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 16 2014, 07:45 AM) *
I'll go grade as soon as I see it there smile.gif Scott, Scott... you need to get out of your comfort zone, matey wink.gif Why didn't I see any of those ideas that sucked so bad? Eh? I bet there was good stuff there and that we could've made it even better together smile.gif Hammering exercises with the metronome, won't help you become good at expressing yourself and you know that - stop trying to look away froom what you already know you have to do, mate smile.gif C'mon, record something for your mate and send it here, deal?

nah, it really was quite sucky smile.gif I'll try again, I probably aimed for too much and got shot down by the muses dry.gif
in my defence, what's cool about metronome stuff is that its devoid of musicality which is actually great when youre feeling burned from not being able to string 4 notes together in a musical fashion. I can hit the metronome and do endless 'reps'!
I'll fire up the backing track again though, and try to hit it with a bit more confidence.
Thanks for the rec help btw, slow bends with vibrato are a big challenge for me, as you know only too well!, and that lesson had loads of them. It was really cool getting it to a level good enough to post as a rec take.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 16 2014, 01:16 PM
Instructor
Looking forward to hearing your ideas, mate smile.gif As I said, nothing is sucky - it can only be a starting point and we can try various approaches from that point on - deal? You have to start somewhere and this could be a great way - just don't chicken out and run back in your comfort zone, because I will bug you again and you won't get away with it tongue.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 22 2014, 03:18 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
yo c-dawg cool.gif Ive been playing around with one of the backing tracks. I thought Id fire it up and get your thoughts, Its just a short section, not the whole track.
Also, Im using A minor pent rolleyes.gif although I think I do go out-with that scale a little. Is there a more exotic scale I could also try to use in this backing?
The description for the backing track just said 'in A minor' but I was wondering if I could use this backing for that melodic exercise you mentioned, I thought maybe I could try to play some of it using the majestic minor pent and then switch to a new scale for a section...... or should I find a backing track more suited to a new scale?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 23 2014, 09:24 AM
Instructor
Wow! This was very good mate!

You have soudh a nice touch and the lines were very musical and coherent! I am impressed and happy with what I am hearing biggrin.gif There was this ONE spot around 01:01 where the bend was a bit weaker, but the rest.. hehe! Good work!

The idea here is that you can have two approaches:

- either use the combo between the minor penta and the natural minor all the way, like you did
- see what mode you can play over each chord and make that mode stand out by using the characteristic scale degree of the mode you want to deploy - this approach is a bit more difficult because aside knowing the modes pretty well, it also needs more focus on how to build an ensemble out of little ensembles.

Tell me - what do you know about modes? We should talk a bit of theory, so that you might understand howto use them wisely and efficiently - also, what chord progression does this backing have?

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 23 2014, 11:15 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
thank you sir smile.gif
Im not sure of all the chords used tbh, the 'verse' parts seem to be A minor and D, the next section uses C, B, E minor. there may be a couple of variations which Ive not quite figured out yet but it is mainly built over those two progressions I think.
I had another look at the description and it stated " perhaps make use of your C major, F lydian and G mixolydian modes in C Major when jamming to it " I might try those and see if I can find a home for them.
I dont know too much about modes, other than being aware of their existence cool.gif
I didnt realise I had used part of the natural minor in there, I knew it sounded different from the scales I had been using. Natural minor would be the Aeolian? google informs me it is 'dark and sad' which must be why it sounded good to my ears because I really get drawn to that kind of vibe.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 24 2014, 11:32 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 23 2014, 10:15 AM) *
thank you sir smile.gif
Im not sure of all the chords used tbh, the 'verse' parts seem to be A minor and D, the next section uses C, B, E minor. there may be a couple of variations which Ive not quite figured out yet but it is mainly built over those two progressions I think.
I had another look at the description and it stated " perhaps make use of your C major, F lydian and G mixolydian modes in C Major when jamming to it " I might try those and see if I can find a home for them.
I dont know too much about modes, other than being aware of their existence cool.gif
I didnt realise I had used part of the natural minor in there, I knew it sounded different from the scales I had been using. Natural minor would be the Aeolian? google informs me it is 'dark and sad' which must be why it sounded good to my ears because I really get drawn to that kind of vibe.

Hey mate smile.gif since it makes such a statement, it's clear that the mother scale for the track is C major - all those are modes belonging to the C major scale. In order to be ready to deploy modes I would like you to start by reading the following theoretical aspects and then we will discuss on them, so that we will make sure you understood the principles. I would like to show you how to use principles and not shapes smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=47641 - begin with this one
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0#entry634876 - then this one

We'll take each one at a time, but first please read through and let me know what your impressions are, ok?

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
6 User(s) are reading this topic (6 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:47 PM