2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Sidthekid's Bootcamp, Bleed For it!!!!!!
Todd Simpson
Jan 6 2017, 05:05 AM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!

MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SLOWWWWWWLLY, very SLOWWWLLLLYYYY until you master it at a crawl (As You'll Do With Each Mission, and focus on left hand FORM! Make it SUPER PERFECT!). Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you) Shoot a video of you playing the bit along with a METRONOME or DRUM click in the background so that I can hear if your on beat or not, and embed it as a post it as a reply to this post. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP!

After that proceed to MISSION #2. Here is a link to all of the missions. All 400+ of them.
http://bit.ly/twtgmc

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!
bit.ly/sidthekidsbootcamp
Practice!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Jan 12 2017, 01:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Todd!
Here is the report of my first battle:

I am able to play it comfortably at 120BPM -

130BPM is approximately my current stable limit, after this speed I start using the arm to pick faster and can't keep the picking consistent.

We should always use the wrist for picking right? Whenever I feel tension in the muscles of my elbow/arm area I stop and try to use the wrist.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 14 2017, 05:10 AM
CONGRATS SOLDIER!!!! This is your FIRST MISSION and you KILLED IT!!!!! Let's debrief...

You are off to a fine start!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Maintained splendid palm mute / right hand control in every vid.
2.)Maintained tight and precise picking in every vid
3.)Maintained control of each strike and it's timing

Congrats Soldier, you just ...

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image

SUPER CONGRATS on BADGING UP!!! I must take this chance to suggest some modifications to your playing for these missions.

1.)Your muting only the lower strings with your left hand. Find a position with your hand that lets you mute most or all of the strings with back of your left hand.

2.)You are sitting side sadle with your guitar. Some players prefer this. However, it changes the angle on the wrist and simply makes everything a pinch more difficult, especially licks that involve a stretch. I'd suggest trying classical position with the guitar in between your legs. You can always change back later smile.gif

3.)Pick Choice: I'd say get the sharpest pick you can find. 1.0mm at a minimum. Pick flex/bend is your enemy in these lessons.

Looking forward to round 2!

Sarge

QUOTE (sidthekid @ Jan 12 2017, 08:59 AM) *
Hi Todd!
Here is the report of my first battle:

I am able to play it comfortably at 120BPM -

130BPM is approximately my current stable limit, after this speed I start using the arm to pick faster and can't keep the picking consistent.

We should always use the wrist for picking right? Whenever I feel tension in the muscles of my elbow/arm area I stop and try to use the wrist.

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Jan 15 2017, 01:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Sarge, here are the results of mission 2 - playing it stably at 240bpm. After 250bpm my arm starts tensing and I get sloppy.

I like the classical position, everything feels more stable!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 17 2017, 06:06 AM
Look at him go!! Nicely fought Soldier!! Good to see you trying the classical sitting style! Also, try to spread your right hand out a bit more so that it sorta covers the entire bridge even when you are playing on the low strings. This is called "Center Stategy" or centering your hand on the bridge to allow for a variety of techniques.

Let's Debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Precise Pick Control (Not swinging to wide or to shallow)

2.)Good Palm Mute (Planted right hand and using the pinky to help out)

3.)Aggressive style!

LEVELED UP!!

Keep going Soldier!!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (sidthekid @ Jan 15 2017, 08:19 AM) *
Hi Sarge, here are the results of mission 2 - playing it stably at 240bpm. After 250bpm my arm starts tensing and I get sloppy.

I like the classical position, everything feels more stable!

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Jan 20 2017, 06:27 AM
Learning Rock Star
Mission 3 Sarge! This is at 175bpm, just the limit of my stable speed.

I think my right hand base is more lower now. Also I stopped using the pinky for support because I can't reach the plate while on the bottom strings and switching to it in between while going up is weird.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 21 2017, 03:35 AM
CONGRATS SOLDIER!!!! You are drilling through these like a hot knife through butter!! Keep it up!!

Let's Debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Precise Pick Control

2.)Good Palm Mute

3.)Steady Pacing

You ticked all the boxes I'm looking for in this lesson. You are ready for MISSION 4!

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image
However, I am still concerned about your right hand technique. I want you to really to flatten out your hand a bit more on the bridge even though I know it feels strange, wrong, bizarre, evil, unworkable and crazy. That's natural. smile.gif Learning to be able to "Cover the bridge" will set you up well for many of the techniques that are upcoming in later lessons. String skipping, single note work, etc.

Take a look at this vid. It's from another mission. Notice my right hand placement. Granted, I'm playing on the high strings, but my hand placement doesn't change much even when playing the lowest string. Also notice how little my right hand is moving. Economy of movement is key as you start gaining speed/precision.

Try to copy my right hand placement in your next vid smile.gif

QUOTE (sidthekid @ Jan 20 2017, 01:27 AM) *
Mission 3 Sarge! This is at 175bpm, just the limit of my stable speed.

I think my right hand base is more lower now. Also I stopped using the pinky for support because I can't reach the plate while on the bottom strings and switching to it in between while going up is weird.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 21 2017, 03:38 AM

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Oct 10 2017, 09:50 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Sarge!! I'm back.
It took a while, but I've improved my right hand technique finally! It feels more stable and definitely a better technique now.

This is mission 4 - right hand/left hand synchronization - playing at 100bpm. This is the limit of my stable speed, I can go a little faster maybe till 105-110 right now.

I think my left-right hand synchronization isn't that good, I miss some notes at this speed.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 12 2017, 02:03 AM
Welcome back to the Fight Soldier!!! You show some really improvement here and you are quite correctly USING THE PINKY!!!! Some folks try to cheat it a bit and use the first three fingers even on the lower frets. This MISSION is designed to help you with string traverse on both hands and hand synch. You do a very fine job on both. It's worth putting in the time Soldier when you get results like this!

Let's Debrief....

MEDALS OF HONOR

*SYNCH: Right/Left hand Synch is on point. Score!

*PINKY POWER: Very fine use of lesser finger. Double Score!

*TIMING: Not dragging or leading, just staying in the pocket. Triple Score!

In other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image

Don't lose your momentum Soldier!! ATTACK the next MISSION and SHOW NO MERCY!!

Sarge

QUOTE (sidthekid @ Oct 10 2017, 04:50 AM) *
Hi Sarge!! I'm back.
It took a while, but I've improved my right hand technique finally! It feels more stable and definitely a better technique now.

This is mission 4 - right hand/left hand synchronization - playing at 100bpm. This is the limit of my stable speed, I can go a little faster maybe till 105-110 right now.

I think my left-right hand synchronization isn't that good, I miss some notes at this speed.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 16 2017, 08:10 PM
Talking to the Boss now, looks like we may be able to work something out so I"ll let you know asap smile.gif

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 18 2017, 06:01 PM

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Oct 31 2017, 07:17 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Sarge! Here's mission 5, back and forth. This was a really good practice lick, I had started practicing at 115bpm and now it's almost clean upto 130bpm. It's difficult to sustain the lick while going up the fretboard though, great for arm strength I guess!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 1 2017, 04:25 AM
WELL FOUGHT SOLDIER!!! This lick is SOOOOOO Important IMHO. It's the basis for a vast array of licks that based loosely on Paul Gilberts style of play. I use this "Back and Forth" method all the time in solos. It's very handy and a good thing to get used to playing. You jump in and killed it!!! Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*PICKING: You have adopted a very good picking approach and it's serving you well soldier. Keep it up!! Very smooth string traverse and solid picking all around.

*MUTING: You are not plugged in to an amp, which I would encourage you to do if at all possible, or in to a cell phone to use JAM UP PRO or in to a laptop to use GUITAR RIG FREE or something similar, just using something to simulate an amp or even using an amp as an amp smile.gif Playing through an amp is a bit different than playing without one and can show you bits of your playing that you didn't know were there. MUTING becomes very important when using distortion for example.

TIMING: This is something that many folks struggle with but you seem to have an almost instinctual grasp on it. Your timing is just ROCK solid. This gives you a BIG advantage going forward.

In short you KRUSHED it and just...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (sidthekid @ Oct 31 2017, 02:17 AM) *
Hi Sarge! Here's mission 5, back and forth. This was a really good practice lick, I had started practicing at 115bpm and now it's almost clean upto 130bpm. It's difficult to sustain the lick while going up the fretboard though, great for arm strength I guess!

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Nov 2 2017, 06:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Sarge! Thank you for your comments, they're helpful and inspire me to practice more! I've got my amp back, no issues there.

Here's mission 6, pedal point and tone. I'm at 165bpm, could be better if I practiced this a few more days. I also change the syncopation/starting note every 4 bars in each string, there's a slight off-tempo effect I guess.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 2 2017, 08:06 PM
You are moving right along Soldier!! You can clearly play this lick at a brisk pace. When playing it inside a solo you could probably go as high as 200 with no problem! Boot camp is all about precision more than speed so I want to ask if you could crank the metronome down a pinch and try to play on beat without switching syncopation as it makes it sound like you are drifting in terms of playing on point/beat. You can clearly play this lick with no problem, congrats there. I do need to see you pin it to the metronome so that I can badge you up and move you your next mission!!! Cut back on the pace just a bit and focus on each strike lining up with a click, you can double or quadruple the number of clicks in the metronome if needed so that you can have an audible cue for each pick strike. Ideally, they should line up one to one.

Very glad your amp is back!! smile.gif Always good to have an amp to play on! Once more in to the breach Soldier and I"m sure youll level up!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (sidthekid @ Nov 2 2017, 01:22 PM) *
Hi Sarge! Thank you for your comments, they're helpful and inspire me to practice more! I've got my amp back, no issues there.

Here's mission 6, pedal point and tone. I'm at 165bpm, could be better if I practiced this a few more days. I also change the syncopation/starting note every 4 bars in each string, there's a slight off-tempo effect I guess.

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Nov 8 2017, 09:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Sarge! Played it again at a slower pace of 135 bpm. Feeling confident in my fingers after quite a while smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 9 2017, 07:42 AM
Now your killing it Soldier!!! Much tighter. This lick works great for guitar solos as well. It's a good way drill to work on picking and a great lick to throw in to a solo. Let's debrief!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*PICKING HAND: Nice positioning on the pick hand. You are doing a good job of tilting the right hand and keeping your mute instead of letting the hand drift up and down the bridge. This is something that many folks stumble on. Well done!!

*FRETTING HAND: Solid strikes with the finger and good synch on timing. You've got a good stretch going on as well. Nice!

*PACE: your pacing is nice and smooth. Not rushing or lagging. Double Nice!!

You got this one Soldier, you are ready for what's ahead!!!

In other words, you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

Keep up your momentum Soldier! Dig in to the next Mission!

Sarge

QUOTE (sidthekid @ Nov 8 2017, 04:08 PM) *
Hey Sarge! Played it again at a slower pace of 135 bpm. Feeling confident in my fingers after quite a while smile.gif

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Nov 10 2017, 01:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Sarge, reporting in for my next mission in the line of duty!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 11 2017, 02:43 AM
You are on a Roll Soldier!!! Keep it up!! You are knocking these down at a great pace. If you keep at it like this, you'll be the first one to make it to triple digits!
Lets Debrief!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR
*PAUL GILBERT ON DECK: This is a real finger twister as it involves the classic Paul Gilbert back and forth lick. You seem to have zero problem with this at all which is great!! That lick is the basis for wads of shred licks and you have a really good handle on it!!

*PRECISION/SPEED: Speed is just a byproduct of precision and you are playing in a very precise manner. If you can play with this level of precision, speed should be no problem.

*PINKY POWER: I'm glad to see you using your Pinky on this Soldier!! It's the most neglected finger on the hand for most players and it is a really important finger and not to be neglected. I see some folks trying to play licks at the 5th fret with the first 3 fingers and it's good to see you not doing that!!! Keep it up!!

This is NOT an easy bit and you KILLED IT!! Congrats!
In short you just, ....

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (sidthekid @ Nov 10 2017, 08:27 AM) *
Hey Sarge, reporting in for my next mission in the line of duty!

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Nov 16 2017, 11:08 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Sarge checking in! Yes I use my pinky but don't use it for bending right now. I'm getting a feel for the pick angles now, the 2nd and 3rd strings are the easiest to play.

Here's mission 8 at 140 BPM, Different shapes on different strings. Used palm muting on the 3/4 strings. My forearms got a bit tired during the last part, but otherwise 135 BPM is fine for me.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 16 2017, 02:56 PM
Well Fought Soldier!! You have some very good technique on display here. You did get a pinky wonky toward the end but I'd seen all I needed to see before that. You have a very solid right hand technique and keep string noise at bay and mute just enough. Not too hard, not too lose. This will serve you well. Your picking technique is quite good as well. Good angle, not too much tension. One thing I'd say to try is the THUMBLESS technique I'm always on about. Even if just for practice. Just pull your thumb off the neck on your left hand and use only your fingertips. It prevents "over clamping" and prevents fore arm fatigue.

Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*RIGHT HAND WITH THE PLAN: You continue to have very good right hand position and technique Soldier. Great to see you sticking it and keeping it clean!

*LEFT HAND TO BEAT THE BAND:
Use of the PINKY is always a good thing IMHO and you are doing it well. Try to add some pinky vibrato in during practice and perhaps pinky pinch harmonics. It's NOT easy, but it's worth it!

*PICKING TECHNIQUE MAKES YOU THE MAN: Great technique on display here. Nice Pick Angle, not over committing to any one pick strike, not over tensing, it's all there.

You are doing great on these and you are more than ready for whats coming. It's gonna get tough Soldier, but you can handle it!!!

In other words, you just. ....

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Keep it up Soldier! Don't lose your fighting Momentum!!

P.S. One tip, maybe a pinch louder on the guitar next time.

QUOTE (sidthekid @ Nov 16 2017, 06:08 AM) *
Hey Sarge checking in! Yes I use my pinky but don't use it for bending right now. I'm getting a feel for the pick angles now, the 2nd and 3rd strings are the easiest to play.

Here's mission 8 at 140 BPM, Different shapes on different strings. Used palm muting on the 3/4 strings. My forearms got a bit tired during the last part, but otherwise 135 BPM is fine for me.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:56 AM