Here I Am
OneDt
Feb 3 2012, 08:58 PM
GMC:er
Hi all, I just joined GMc few days ago. I was looking for guitar class without leaving my home and I found GMC! Actually I was looking for a cover of Overture 1928 on youtube and I found a very awesome one, and it was made by Daniel cool.gif . And then I subcribe here!

I am from Canada, Im 27 and Iv been playing electric guitar since Im 18. In that period I Skipped a lot of time of practicing. I had some lessons with a teach but I moved. My musical influence are Dream Theater,Pink floyd , Joe Satriani, Steeve V, Maiden, Metallica, Kamelot, etc ( Rock, hard rock, prog, power metal, melodic metal, etc...).

Iv never been in a band , but Im interested in some composing, but I lack of tools, I watched all the beginners corner, it helps a lot, but still There is a lot of things i cant understand (like hte choice of chords for a song and the choice of scales, and why there is a lot of different scale within one song,etc) At the moment, Im doing a cover of the DT album scene from a memory, I learned the 2 first song, but i encountered some technical issue on overture, thats why Daniel's lessons helped a lot.

Anyway I talked a lot, but I am at a point that I lost motivation, Im feeling like I cant move foward, or stalling...I played like 1 or 2 hour everyday and I cant see the progress, especially watching Daniel playing, it seem so easy for him lol.

And I want to thanks the great teachs in here for doing an awesome work!

Thanks for reading and sorry for the bad english, as this isnt my first language.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 3 2012, 09:06 PM
Learning Roadie
Hello! Great to hear that you joined GMC. Your English is fine. It's my first language (and only one tongue.gif ) and I understand you perfectly. You must give yourself time to progress. It sometimes takes more time. I am weak with sweep picking, but right now I'm working on tight rhythm playing. It is my strong point, and so getting better at that keeps me going. So practice mainly on your strong points to keep you motivated, but also focus on the weak points from time to time. Point being, just don't burn yourself out.

So you like progressive metal, I think I read that right? Have you heard of Red Seas Fire?

Welcome to GMC!!

Brandon Burch

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
OneDt
Feb 3 2012, 09:11 PM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Feb 3 2012, 08:06 PM) *
Hello! Great to hear that you joined GMC. Your English is fine. It's my first language (and only one tongue.gif ) and I understand you perfectly. You must give yourself time to progress. It sometimes takes more time. I am weak with sweep picking, but right now I'm working on tight rhythm playing. It is my strong point, and so getting better at that keeps me going. So practice mainly on your strong points to keep you motivated, but also focus on the weak points from time to time. Point being, just don't burn yourself out.

So you like progressive metal, I think I read that right? Have you heard of Red Seas Fire?

Welcome to GMC!!

Brandon Burch

Thanks! This sound really good, I really like In flames and such, BFMV too. And thanks for the tips Ill focus on my strengh smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Feb 3 2012, 10:38 PM
Instructor
Welcome to the site,man smile.gif. As for influences- you have good taste ! Keep to listening good music. By your words I would say that you lack a bit of basic theoretical knowledge. How to build chords, song, scales - these are things that will much help you in your progress.
Here's the tip:
Practicing what you already know is not exercise - it is a waste of time, in terms of progress. Practice what you don't know - the new chords, scales, progressions ... and when you're done with it, then commit to things that you already know. This is the way to go, and you'll feel the difference very quickly.wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 3 2012, 11:22 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Feb 3 2012, 03:38 PM) *
Welcome to the site,man smile.gif. As for influences- you have good taste ! Keep to listening good music. By your words I would say that you lack a bit of basic theoretical knowledge. How to build chords, song, scales - these are things that will much help you in your progress.
Here's the tip:
Practicing what you already know is not exercise - it is a waste of time, in terms of progress. Practice what you don't know - the new chords, scales, progressions ... and when you're done with it, then commit to things that you already know. This is the way to go, and you'll feel the difference very quickly.wink.gif

Hope I didn't come off as practicing what you already know, but to practice things that you are good at a lot too. It's good to practice what you are not good at. It's just if you focus too much on it, you can burn yourself out or become discouraged.

+Quote Post
OneDt
Feb 4 2012, 01:21 AM
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Feb 3 2012, 09:38 PM) *
Here's the tip:

Thanks! And you are right, I know basic chord, like major, minor, 7, etc..; and basic scale, like major minor, Im starting to look into pentatonic...My problem is to put all that together, I can't find out, but as you say, I try to learn new things each time I practice.

Can you guide me to any lessons on the site to help me to build chord progression and how to use scale? Anyway, thanks for your answers cool.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 6 2012, 08:51 AM
Instructor
Hey man! I think you could find interesting things regarding using scales and relating them to a harmonic context in these two links here:

- Lessons On Improvising

- Learning and using scales - Level 1 -> 3

hope this helps

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Feb 6 2012, 08:51 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 6 2012, 07:28 PM
Instructor
Hi man! Welcome to GMC! You have to learn harmony & theory to understand the things that you want to know to be able to be a good composer. Here you will find a series of threads with all the info about scales, chords and progressions that you need to know...

Intervals, Chords, Triads & Harmonies.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 6 2012, 11:49 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (OneDt @ Feb 3 2012, 08:58 PM) *
Hi all, I just joined GMc few days ago. I was looking for guitar class without leaving my home and I found GMC! Actually I was looking for a cover of Overture 1928 on youtube and I found a very awesome one, and it was made by Daniel cool.gif . And then I subcribe here!

I am from Canada, Im 27 and Iv been playing electric guitar since Im 18. In that period I Skipped a lot of time of practicing. I had some lessons with a teach but I moved. My musical influence are Dream Theater,Pink floyd , Joe Satriani, Steeve V, Maiden, Metallica, Kamelot, etc ( Rock, hard rock, prog, power metal, melodic metal, etc...).

Iv never been in a band , but Im interested in some composing, but I lack of tools, I watched all the beginners corner, it helps a lot, but still There is a lot of things i cant understand (like hte choice of chords for a song and the choice of scales, and why there is a lot of different scale within one song,etc) At the moment, Im doing a cover of the DT album scene from a memory, I learned the 2 first song, but i encountered some technical issue on overture, thats why Daniel's lessons helped a lot.

Anyway I talked a lot, but I am at a point that I lost motivation, Im feeling like I cant move foward, or stalling...I played like 1 or 2 hour everyday and I cant see the progress, especially watching Daniel playing, it seem so easy for him lol.

And I want to thanks the great teachs in here for doing an awesome work!

Thanks for reading and sorry for the bad english, as this isnt my first language.

Welcome to the site mate! Do not worry about "seeing progress", just keep playing and believe me, it will be very evident!

Best of luck smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OneDt
Feb 8 2012, 12:06 AM
Thanks all, gonna look at that smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Feb 8 2012, 01:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (OneDt @ Feb 4 2012, 01:21 AM) *
Thanks! And you are right, I know basic chord, like major, minor, 7, etc..; and basic scale, like major minor, Im starting to look into pentatonic...My problem is to put all that together, I can't find out, but as you say, I try to learn new things each time I practice.

Can you guide me to any lessons on the site to help me to build chord progression and how to use scale? Anyway, thanks for your answers cool.gif

Pentatonics! - you already have a plan, which is very good! Great choice. Pentatonic scales are an essential part of guitar music, and you will see that they are used as a starting point and core of any scale. Almost any song of heavy, rock, pop genre, you can't imagine without the pentatonic scales. So check out this lessons..

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/search/pentatonic/

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Feb 8 2012, 02:53 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Practice less, play more. You can practice all you want, but when you hit that dead end where nothing goes anywhere, its time to put down the routines and have fun.

Never forget what made you pick up the instrument in the first place smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 8 2012, 04:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Feb 8 2012, 01:53 AM) *
Practice less, play more. You can practice all you want, but when you hit that dead end where nothing goes anywhere, its time to put down the routines and have fun.

Never forget what made you pick up the instrument in the first place smile.gif

+1 wink.gif

+Quote Post
OneDt
Feb 11 2012, 05:10 AM
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Feb 8 2012, 12:08 AM) *
Pentatonics! - you already have a plan, which is very good! Great choice. Pentatonic scales are an essential part of guitar music, and you will see that they are used as a starting point and core of any scale. Almost any song of heavy, rock, pop genre, you can't imagine without the pentatonic scales. So check out this lessons..

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/search/pentatonic/

Thanks! gonna look more into that, you guys are great, fast response and support I love it. By the mean time, I like the way some of the lessons show the chord used in real time, it helped me understand how lick are build. If i get it right, there is always a background chord like, lets say G, and while that chord is being played for like, lets say 1-2 bar, your lick for those measure will be the note from the G chord? I know i sound weird, but Im a logical person and I need to understand things in order to move foward tongue.gif

Anyway thanks again!

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 11 2012, 02:24 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Welcome cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:25 AM