Mix With Your Ears Not Your Eyes Part 2
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 3 2014, 12:11 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Part of a brief but at times interesting interview with heavy metal mixer/producer Andy Sneap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwtlcEkgu6E...768D01116ECC8B6

Nice to see that Andy, just like me, doesn't use a spectrum analyser (@ 4'05''). Whilst they can at times be helpful to someone who is learning to mix they do not help in the long run and you should learn to mix with our ears not your eyes.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 3 2014, 12:30 PM
Instructor
I do agree but I think in some particular circumstances (when You work in budget home studio and You're not able to trust the low end as much) the analyzer really does the job - for example just to make sure is it my room that makes that note of bass loud, or it really is unwanted boost in the mix smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 3 2014, 10:07 PM
GMC:er
trusting ones ears is a crucial skill indeed smile.gif But as was mentioned, in a home studio setting, have an analyzer available (like the izotope advanced one for example) can be a great way to make sure your ears are not lying to you due to your room/speakers/etc.

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 3 2014, 06:11 AM) *
Part of a brief but at times interesting interview with heavy metal mixer/producer Andy Sneap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwtlcEkgu6E...768D01116ECC8B6

Nice to see that Andy, just like me, doesn't use a spectrum analyser (@ 4'05''). Whilst they can at times be helpful to someone who is learning to mix they do not help in the long run and you should learn to mix with our ears not your eyes.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 4 2014, 08:30 AM
No monitoring chain - including the room - is ideal. What you should do is correct it as much as you can and then learn how the chain affects things. You do the latter by listening to a lot of pre-recorded commerical music to see how it translates to your system. By all means a beginner can use an analyser to help but it is not a long term solution and over-relying on one will be detrimental in the long term.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 4 2014, 12:46 PM
Instructor
What we can do is just trust Your experience Tony wink.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 4 2014, 01:14 PM
Thank you Darius smile.gif but it's not just mine. It's that of pretty much every professional mixing and mastering engineer, including Andy Sneap in that video wink.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 5 2014, 09:57 AM
Instructor
I believe that this is the right path but wisely used Analyzer is also a good learning tool - at least when You listen to the mix, try to name the narrow frequency range to cut/boost and then confirm Your hearing skills with the image from analyzer smile.gif

Also..I think there is antoher advantage of using analyzer for people with hearing issues. For example I have a friend who have a huge loss somewhere around 6 kHz. He avoid to adjust this range because after diagnosis he's afraid to mess up the mix...

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 6 2014, 07:20 AM
This is a case where everybody is right at the same time smile.gif It's always a good idea to try to trust your ears as much as possible. But as was mentioned, hearing issues, rooms issues, confirming what you think you hear, etc. are all good reasons (especially for those of us mixing in rooms that will never be even close to what they should be for various reasons) for learning how to properly use a frequency analyzer.

I've found great benefit personally from the METER BRIDGE that's built in to ozone. smile.gif

This is pretty amazing if you haven't seen it before smile.gif Uses a 3-D Spectrum Analysis tool.

Attached Image

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 5 2014, 03:57 AM) *
I believe that this is the right path but wisely used Analyzer is also a good learning tool - at least when You listen to the mix, try to name the narrow frequency range to cut/boost and then confirm Your hearing skills with the image from analyzer smile.gif

Also..I think there is antoher advantage of using analyzer for people with hearing issues. For example I have a friend who have a huge loss somewhere around 6 kHz. He avoid to adjust this range because after diagnosis he's afraid to mess up the mix...

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 6 2014, 07:23 AM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 6 2014, 10:28 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 5 2014, 09:57 AM) *

I'd argue that what you need to do is spend time learning how to identify frequencies by listening and not by looking at a screen. Critical listening is a skill that used to be one of the first things taught to aspiring mixing engineers: how to identify frequencies, how to identify production issues, how to identify the amount of gain/attenuation applied and so on.

The best advise albeit it may not be what your friend may want is to do nothing in that area if s/he has a hearing issue @6000.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 6 2014, 03:05 PM
Instructor
Probably we might find not well understood each other smile.gif Just for clearance - I meant analyzer is like a quiz.I listen to the mix, try to call the frequency and then just a quick look at analyzer to check if I was right. After years of doing this (suppose not even close to Your experience Tony but somewhere over 15 years since I started to work with mixing on the Yamaha md8 at first smile.gif ) I found I can get very close to what then is confirmed by analyzer smile.gif I'm never doing mixes based on analyzer but I do help myself with the 120-130 Hz range which if I do by ear, I usually cut too much of those...

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 7 2014, 06:07 AM
I think we are all in agreement here smile.gif The ears are the best way if at all possible and should be practiced as much as possible smile.gif But in many cases, for many of us, working alone in rooms that are never going to be up to snuff in terms of setup for mixing, an analyzer can come in very handy to help confirm what your ears are telling you smile.gif I don't think Pro's like Toni need one at all, but the rest of us, just might smile.gif

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 6 2014, 09:05 AM) *
Probably we might find not well understood each other smile.gif Just for clearance - I meant analyzer is like a quiz.I listen to the mix, try to call the frequency and then just a quick look at analyzer to check if I was right. After years of doing this (suppose not even close to Your experience Tony but somewhere over 15 years since I started to work with mixing on the Yamaha md8 at first smile.gif ) I found I can get very close to what then is confirmed by analyzer smile.gif I'm never doing mixes based on analyzer but I do help myself with the 120-130 Hz range which if I do by ear, I usually cut too much of those...

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 7 2014, 08:37 AM
yes that makes moe sense Darius smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 7 2014, 09:35 AM
Instructor
Ha ha...it's a bit funny how people might misunderstood even though both speaking the same language....smile.gif))

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:39 PM