> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Lester's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 17 2015, 03:14 PM
Instructor
So there we have the change you need to do if you want to become more creative and productive. Don't kill ideas too early. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lester
Apr 23 2015, 02:38 PM
Learning Roadie
Allright smile.gif

So I've analyzed another song, it has a lot of chords with just a few notes of them, like playing just 3 strings of the 6 e.g.
It's in minor again, other that that I don't really see anything really strange here. The power of the song I guess is in the orchestra and the deep drums at the end. and of course the fancy guitar theme in the intro smile.gif

Attached ImageAttached Image

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 23 2015, 08:16 PM
Instructor
Nice song! Yeah, it's a simple song, and the power is put on the melody, the warm vocals and guitar sound and arrangements. That's what makes it so powerful and expressive. It's awesome how the song grows thanks to the overall arrange, it's a killer production. It's not bad to pay attention and learn concepts from this too while analyzing songs...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
May 7 2015, 10:23 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabe,

Sorry for not posting anything in a while, it's been really busy on the university...so it took me a while to finish something wink.gif
Anyway, I'm progressing through the song analysis nicely, this is the 7th:

There are more V degrees borrowed from the harmonic minor and IV from the Dorian mode...and the song is in minor again, so there is a pattern smile.gif

Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 8 2015, 03:32 PM
Instructor
Hi Lester, that's a very interesting analysis and song. I love the progression used for the chorus. It's very cool how the movement Vi - V7 - Im - IV, sound. Everything we discussed on previous songs is happening here. I can suspect that you are starting to notice how helpful is analyzing the songs that we like.... smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
May 11 2015, 08:53 AM
Learning Roadie
I do! And I never thought there would be so many patterns to be honest. I always believed that if I liked a song or not was pretty random tongue.gif I'm not saying that I would like all songs in minor with pieces from the harmonic minor and Dorian scale, but it still tells a lot about my musical taste. Which is pretty cool! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 11 2015, 04:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lester @ May 11 2015, 04:53 AM) *
I do! And I never thought there would be so many patterns to be honest. I always believed that if I liked a song or not was pretty random tongue.gif I'm not saying that I would like all songs in minor with pieces from the harmonic minor and Dorian scale, but it still tells a lot about my musical taste. Which is pretty cool! smile.gif

yeah, because it tells a lot about music style, and the vibe of a song. Everything is related to the elements of music:

these are some of them:

- Notes
- Groove
- Dynamics
- Tone
- Articulation

As you can see, "notes" is only one of the elements, so it would be good if you start to pay attention and analyze other elements from music which are equally important.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
May 12 2015, 10:43 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabe,

So I finished another analysis, a little quicker this time...it was a fairly easy one smile.gif

Although there is one problem with it: I don't know the tonality...It has got chords from both Dm and D, and also a C, which has no place in either of them. So I'm guessing it's some kind of mode...(probably blues)...any thoughts on that?

Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image

I guess in Sloe Gin that I really like the build up with the soft piano and the raw, verrryy nice guitar sound over it.. which is powerfull, lot's of distortion or overdrive I don't know how to describe it otherwise biggrin.gif
And then the build up when they all go full power, I guess that covers the dynamics and the tone, like you mentioned. Oh, and also that Joe plays soft and then hard all of a sudden a lot.

The articulation on the guitar part would be short and powerful, with a lot of speed bursts and differences between.

I think the time signature is 4/4, but correct me if I'm wrong...and last but not least...how do you describe something like a groove? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 13 2015, 03:42 PM
Instructor
That's a beautiful tune, with a lot of feeling, it has a slow groove and the drummer seems to give this the intention of going a bit after the beat, so sound like delayed. It give a slower feel to the whole tune. Very interesting.

I analyzed the progressions and most of the time it's in D minor with the addition of the IV chord borrowed from dorian. There is a moment in which it modulates for some measures to Bm, but then it gets back soon to D.

I didn't notice where this can become C, where do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
May 14 2015, 04:24 PM
Learning Roadie
Allright, thanks for the input! smile.gif

I didn't mean that the tonality became C, but that the C chord didn't fit in the Dm or D tonality...
But that was my mistake, I double checked my notes, which said it should include a C#, I made a mistake in the intervals biggrin.gif

It makes sense then, I will add the tonality and the degrees to the paper.

Thanks again!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 14 2015, 04:31 PM
Instructor
yeah, C is the VII chord of D minor tonality so it's part of it. By the way, it's a very interesting lesson, and the solos are epic!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
May 15 2015, 03:00 PM
Learning Roadie
Indeed, I love his guitar sound and the dynamics in that song!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 15 2015, 04:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lester @ May 15 2015, 11:00 AM) *
Indeed, I love his guitar sound and the dynamics in that song!

Yeah, he is so talented.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
May 27 2015, 11:11 PM
Learning Roadie
Took me a while, but here is another song analysis, quite an easy one this time, I must admit smile.gif
And it's in major for a change! although there are some chords there in the middle that I cannot quite place within either major in minor key...

Attached ImageAttached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 28 2015, 04:15 PM
Instructor
Good job! It's a very interesting tune. I like how it keeps a similar bass movement on verse and chorus but in different parts of the scale. It's basically and "blues" or "classic rock" idea of I - IV. The verse is on I and the chorus moves to IV, and around this chords there is some kind of chords riff idea that is repeated.

I noticed the use of the 7th chord minor, this is something commonly used in popular music, since it is close to the diminished but sounds less dissonant, so we are used to it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
May 29 2015, 10:40 AM
Learning Roadie
Right, I didn't analyze it that well...but I also felt that the mood changes from the verse to the chorus, which I think is very beautifull. smile.gif

The verse really sounds like he's telling a story that happened in the past and then he brings it to present time and draws a conclusions...which go great with the lyrics.

I don't know I that makes any sense, but it's my interpretation biggrin.gif

Good to know about the 7th chord in minor! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 29 2015, 02:39 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, so we have some new concepts here!

I didn't noted the lyrics structure, good job noting it! It's a cool idea.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Jun 3 2015, 10:33 AM
Learning Roadie
Attached File  Three_level_solo__beginner.wav ( 11.69MB ) Number of downloads: 96
Hi Gabe,

I just recorded a little take on Marcus's lesson and I was wondering if you have some feedback and if I should go for a REC take smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 3 2015, 02:50 PM
Instructor
Hi Lester! Good job with this one, you're on the right track. There some details that I would like to comment:

The original lesson has more expressive details that give the overall solo some extra feeling. You should continue practicing but listening again the original take and paying attention on:

1. Articulation: How phrases and notes are articulated. You will notice that some notes are muted before you do, while others are longer. I note the use of staccato in some parts, while other notes are long with wide vibrato.

2. Bending: The use of bending is also majestic on this one. Sometimes it's fast, other times it's slow. For example check how delicate is the one at 00:05 (pre-bend). Analyze each bend. Also be careful with pitches (around 00:24 and 00:26)

3. Polish fast sections. Some licks like the one at 00:12 are not sounding clear and clean.

4. Vibrato. The use of vibrato in the original lesson is killer, get most of it. Play along with Marcus.

5. Dynamics: The original lesson has a very good control and manage of dynamics, in other words, Marcus picks with different intensities using it as an expressing tool.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Jun 3 2015, 07:01 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for the feedback, I'll get right on it! wink.gif

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:54 PM