6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Bleez's Bootcamp, Torture! Pain! And Glory!
Todd Simpson
Aug 1 2012, 12:35 AM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!

MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SLOWWWWWWLLY, very SLOWWWLLLLYYYY until you master it at a crawl (As You'll Do With Each Mission, and focus on left hand FORM! Make it SUPER PERFECT!). Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP!

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!

http://bitly.com/bleezsbootcamp
Practice!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 1 2012, 12:36 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 1 2012, 12:51 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
"the house of pain is in effect, y'all" biggrin.gif thanks Todd.

hello lesson one.... I am all over you cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 2 2012, 03:51 AM
Can't wait to see you fight your first Battle Soldier!

QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 1 2012, 07:51 AM) *
"the house of pain is in effect, y'all" biggrin.gif thanks Todd.

hello lesson one.... I am all over you cool.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 9 2012, 12:29 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi Todd, just thought let you see where Im at with lesson 1 and maybe check that Im on the right track.
Ive got the metronome set at 140 here, does it sound like Im picking it correctly?
I ask because I had been practising at 200 and it didnt seem as fast! It wasnt until I went back and watched you playing it a 160 that I realised I must have had the picking wrong to begin with!

the seems to be a bit out of sync with the audio.... dunno if its just my connection, it was okay before I youtubed it huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 9 2012, 01:48 AM
Soldier, you are on the right track! Ballistic speed, good palm mute, right hand not floating about, good movement on the left hand and sticking the landing. Nice! Toss in strikes on higher strings/frets and go for the LEVEL UP!

Todd

QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 8 2012, 07:29 PM) *
Hi Todd, just thought let you see where Im at with lesson 1 and maybe check that Im on the right track.
Ive got the metronome set at 140 here, does it sound like Im picking it correctly?
I ask because I had been practising at 200 and it didnt seem as fast! It wasnt until I went back and watched you playing it a 160 that I realised I must have had the picking wrong to begin with!

the seems to be a bit out of sync with the audio.... dunno if its just my connection, it was okay before I youtubed it huh.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 9 2012, 11:25 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
sweet biggrin.gif
thanks drill sergeant. now its time to 'set the controls for the heart of the sun' cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 10 2012, 05:21 AM
Turn and Burn Soldier! smile.gif

Turn
QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 9 2012, 06:25 PM) *
sweet biggrin.gif
thanks drill sergeant. now its time to 'set the controls for the heart of the sun' cool.gif
and Bur

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 19 2012, 01:47 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
'sup dude,
Ive been trying to push it a bit and had a go with the metronome set at 160 which was pretty much flat out for me! I dont know if its good enough but Im quite sure my hands have never moved so fast over a guitar before so it was kinda cool biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 21 2012, 03:52 AM
WELL SPIFF! Soldier, your hands left BLOOD ON THE STRING! That's what we love to see! I can tell you've made big gains in precision/speed! So you are heading the right direction for these Missions!

What's that I hear? The sound of somebody LEVELING UP!

MEDAL OF HONOR
-Good Precision
-Spiff Strikes
-Killer Speed

Attached Image

QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 18 2012, 08:47 PM) *
'sup dude,
Ive been trying to push it a bit and had a go with the metronome set at 160 which was pretty much flat out for me! I dont know if its good enough but Im quite sure my hands have never moved so fast over a guitar before so it was kinda cool biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 21 2012, 08:51 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
biggrin.gif hell yeah!

now to get me some of that lesson 2 cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 22 2012, 12:03 AM
You got it Soldier! Here is the PATH TO GLORY! And subsequent Missions!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rtal:Techniques

QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 21 2012, 03:51 PM) *
biggrin.gif hell yeah!

now to get me some of that lesson 2 cool.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 8 2012, 11:54 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
hey t-dawg smile.gif thought I'd check in with an update.

been working away with lesson 2. I was going to post last saturday with a BPM of 215 but I thought I'd try to push it some more to 220 huh.gif
so here's the result....

lesson 2 @ 220

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 9 2012, 06:54 AM
NICE! I"m looking a your right hand and thinking YES! BINGO!!!!!!!

1.)Tight range of motion (no wagging)
2.)Economy of force (not digging in to deep on pick strikes)
3.)Even strikes.

This is an improvement I must say and your last was already quite good so well done smile.gif

DEBRIEF:

What kind of pick are you using? There seems to be a microsecond of lag after a strike and before the plan on the next one that may be impacting your overall speed and I usually see this when people are using thin/rounded edge picks. Thin picks tend to flex just slightly creating a perceptible pick lag after time. But it's a pretty small issue. We are talking about fractions of second.

If you have not already, try a 1.5 mm pick and sharpen (don't cut yourself!) with a pocket knife or something similar. Make sure you bevel both sides of the pick so your not just shaving off the sides to make a point, your shaving off part of the thickness at the very tip to make the point itself extra fine.

I've found that for this type of playing a very focused pick head helps a lot. There is a training pick that is actually built this way for just this reason. called the STYLUS PICK. You can google them and look at the tip of that pick. Those picks are only for training as they are nearly useless for playing chords. But making your own sharps, or buying some that come sharp like the Tortoise Sharp, or Vpick Switchblade BLACK, is another way.

The good news is you've got the major bits licked. We are now in to fine tuning. smile.gif

FIGHT ON SOLDIER!

Todd

QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 8 2012, 06:54 PM) *
hey t-dawg smile.gif thought I'd check in with an update.

been working away with lesson 2. I was going to post last saturday with a BPM of 215 but I thought I'd try to push it some more to 220 huh.gif
so here's the result....

lesson 2 @ 220

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 9 2012, 10:11 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
thanks sarge smile.gif I really appreciate your feedback.

Im currently using Jim Dunlop picks, the green tortex 0.88. Although, looking at the one I used last night it is a bit worn!
Im going to look at trying the thicker picks like you mentioned, tbh Ive never used any other thickness other than the .88's so Im really curious to try some out now, cheers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 16 2012, 06:38 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 9 2012, 05:11 PM) *
thanks sarge smile.gif I really appreciate your feedback.

Im currently using Jim Dunlop picks, the green tortex 0.88. Although, looking at the one I used last night it is a bit worn!
Im going to look at trying the thicker picks like you mentioned, tbh Ive never used any other thickness other than the .88's so Im really curious to try some out now, cheers.

Try the DUNLOP SHARP 1.5 and remember, for this type of playing, don't "Over Commit" to any one pick strike. Meaning don't dig in to far. Digging in works well for some licks, sounds amazing. Just not the stuff in BOOTCAMP. These licks are all designed to train your hand to do something very specific. Play lightly with the minimum amount of force needed in order to waste as little effort/movement/energy as possible and create efficient/even strikes.

By "digging in" i mean letting the pick go to far towards the guitar past the string. Ideally, for these lessons, your pick should glide across the strings barely going below the string level.

Todd

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 20 2012, 11:43 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
hey Todd smile.gif

I got a few of those Dunlop 1.5 sharp picks. Still getting use to them but I tried lesson 2 at 230bpm ( my previous best is 220 )

It might not be spot on as Ive only had a couple of sessions with them but you were totally correct, they are a lot better for these exercises smile.gif thanks for that tip.
I also managed a few runs at 240 bpm on the thicker strings.... lost it on the thinner strings a bit, but it was encouraging none the less!

Also, I have a query about the pick position, with lessons 1 and 2 my right hand has been going as fast as possible and I angle my pick a little bit but when I play lesson 3 I find that naturally I take a more horizontal approach with my pick BUT I think this will limit my speed.
Ive tried to show this in the vid - First bit shows how I would nornally pick the pattern ( kinda flat / horizontal ) the second shows how I think I probably should be doing it.

basically should I be picking patterns like lesson 3 the same way I picked lessons 1 & 2....... I ask because I suck at picking lesson 3 at an angle smile.gif

cheers todd.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 21 2012, 02:57 AM
Well played Soldier! Your LESSON 2 vid just posted is a great example of pick angle. That's a very efficient angle of attack you've got there. One quick tip.

1.)CHOKE UP ON YOUR PICK!!!! smile.gif

That's right soldier, the distance between where you fingers stop and the pick ends represents a slight separtion between strike and reaction from a string. So closing that gap (just for these workouts even) and getting the tip of your thumb/finger, very, very, very close to the tip of the pick, will all a bit more control and reduce any pick wag that may be causing your hand to overwork.

When the pick hand overworks, it tends to dig in a bit far. That's fine and all, but just for these workouts, digging in to far (when the pick dips beyond the string more than needed during a pick strike) creates a slight bit of lag in strike response and reduces picking efficiency a tad. What I"m trying to train your hands to do in each one of these workouts, is adapt to a highly efficient sequential strike pattern that more or less grazes each string but doesn't over commit to it. Once you've mastered this one element, every other lesson will get a bit easier in terms of picking.

Make sense? You killing the Enemy with abandon Soldier, keep it up!

Todd

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 21 2012, 06:10 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
thanks dude, I'll work on choking up on the pick some more. These sharps kinda feel like surfboards compared to my usual picks but Im getting more used to them each time.
I'll keep trying to push the speed on lesson 2 as I practice lesson 3 as it may take me a bit of time to get that pick angle on lesson 3 and get it sounding proper 'Spiff' smile.gif

This post has been edited by bleez: Sep 21 2012, 06:10 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 22 2012, 03:15 AM
Keep at it Soldier! wink.gif Your hand position is good and your grip as well. That's a great foundation. Keep your pick hand just tight enough to mute the strings at the bridge and not drop the pick. Any more tension and your actually fighting against your own hand. Fight the enemy soldier! Not yourself smile.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 21 2012, 01:10 PM) *
thanks dude, I'll work on choking up on the pick some more. These sharps kinda feel like surfboards compared to my usual picks but Im getting more used to them each time.
I'll keep trying to push the speed on lesson 2 as I practice lesson 3 as it may take me a bit of time to get that pick angle on lesson 3 and get it sounding proper 'Spiff' smile.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 5 2012, 11:29 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
hey sarge, bit of a weird thing happening huh.gif since I last posted a vid of lesson 2 at 230 bpm I was really encouraged and bumped up my sessions to 40-50 mins 6 times per week, where I concentrated mainly on lesson 2, with a little lesson 3 thrown in. But now I am struggling to keep in time at 230bpm! dunno, I just lose it more often than not. kinda sucks rolleyes.gif
d'ya think I should stick to lower speeds or should I keep pushing to get back to 230?
also, is it totally weird to suddenly struggle at a speed you used to get..... even though Ive totally been working on it constantly?

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:05 PM