2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Guitar Vs Piano, Anyone here play both?
audiopaal
Oct 11 2008, 07:24 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Zizi Top @ Oct 9 2008, 05:10 PM) *
Well I'd say that in your guitar neck, if you learn your scales shape, then you just have to transpose them all over the neck, and you can play with whatever key you want to. also something that might be good too, is learning all intervalls shape on you neck .
As for Piano, it ain't that good ! I prefer guitar, it's cooler because you can do bends, slide, add vibrato, lot's of feeling, (even if I like Piano too). and as for scale on piano, it ain't that good too, because what you said (about the black for sharps and white for "natural keys") it can be applied only for the C major scale, but if you're playing another scale, it's completely different. for example playing the A major key would be a completely different positions, my advices for you would be to learn intervalls, or scales (on guitar or piano).

If you know how to play piano, would you do a lesson on the basics of pianoplaying for the lot of us that don't know how to play? smile.gif
Man, I'd love to know how to play the piano smile.gif

QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Oct 11 2008, 06:49 PM) *
Thanx! If anybody have questions about the piano and wants to post them I could try to bring a hand on that smile.gif
Also I recommend a few treatises of orchestration

Walter Piston - Orchestration

Hector Berlioz- Treatise on orchestration

Casella - Orchestration

Those books are really helpful to understand the mecanics, range and various things about orchestral instruments.

Got any easy books on how to play the thing too? tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
besip
Oct 12 2008, 02:01 PM
GMC:er
piano makes me crazy...sound so great...i'm was werry imprese to heard 1 litle lady to play when i'm was working on her house......if the day be have more hours...i'm will be like to learn play more instrument like Guitar...Piano will be the second stuff after guitar!!!!!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 12 2008, 02:39 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
With guitar it's really easy that you can just transpose things by shoving everything up a fret. This isn't possible on piano!

They're both cool..

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
superize
Oct 12 2008, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I got a keyboard but i dont play it that much since i dont have any good lessons like GMC to help me but i would very much like to learn how to play and write keyboard parts that bands like

Rhapsody
Axenstar
Insania
Dimmu Borgir
Nightwish
Sonata Arctica¨

Use in their music

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
berko
Oct 12 2008, 04:52 PM
I've played the piano for 2 years, and i'm still trying to maintain a decent level with some cool minuetts and etudes (mainly from the baroque and romantic period), but the reason why i like guitar better is because you get much closer to creating the sound. Other than considering electric guitar as one of the most versatile instruments due to the millions of effects, you can also create distinctive sound by picking differently, tapping, bending, striking the string harder to gain a certain amount of harmonics, and of course: there are harmonics, vibrato, legato etc.

This way you are basically standing beside the cradle of each sound (oops, to poetical that was... unsure.gif ), you develop them the way you wish.
On the piano, you can only achieve dinamics or the length of a note by pedals (the 3rd pedal for dampening). Still it is only the little hammers which hit the strings.

Same way: guitar is a bit more simple instrument, since you don't really play that much poliphonic stuff (you achive this effect with some serious tapping, or dealy, or hybrid picking + string skipping etc.), whereas on a piano in more difficult pieces you might have to play with both hands totally independently. However, single guitar tunes (especially because of the strong style presented in distinctive playing) are much more stronger.

Anyway, hope that made sense huh.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
skipdaflip
Oct 12 2008, 05:19 PM
Well, I'm not a real good piano player. But I can compose stuff I like myself. I can find a note much easier on a guitar fret, then on a piano. I have to touch every note to hear if it's the same. But when you found one, the rest will follow up very fast.
I think both instruments can be played with some very good hearing skills. I can find out music notes that has been played by another band much easier then my wife on guitar and piano. And that while she's a real piano (classic) player...

But not everybody is the same ofcourse. Some can only play 1 instrument.

--------------------
Can anyone rate me?

Guitars:
• Ibanez S5470 TKR Prestige
• Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Air Norton & Dimarzio Tone Zone
• Washburn D10SCE WALNUT DREADNOUGHT SOLID TOP
• Some kind of cheap Guitar...

Amps:
MARSHALL JTM30

Guitar Gear:
Line6 X3 Live
Boss AC-3

Gear:
Edirol UA-25 24 bit/96 kHz USB Audio Capture
Edirol PC-50 MIDI Keyboard Controller
Roland HP203-ERW
Behringer B-1

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
Oct 12 2008, 06:01 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Oct 11 2008, 08:24 PM) *
If you know how to play piano, would you do a lesson on the basics of pianoplaying for the lot of us that don't know how to play? smile.gif
Man, I'd love to know how to play the piano smile.gif

I'm not that good at piano, I don't practice it !! I just know some theories about it, and how to improvise with the blues scale... as for lessons, I thought maybe ramiro can do them, he seems to be a good piano player smile.gif

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
sidewas lightnin...
Oct 12 2008, 06:08 PM
I played piano a long time ago. I think that piano is a great first instrument because the way it's set up makes it easy to learn how music works on. However, I don't like it that much as an instrument.

--------------------
I spelled my username wrong...I didn't even think that was possible!

Look at the topic for my guitar...
Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Homemade strat (You still need to look at its topic!)
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)
Line 6 spider amp (not actually used for anything, just acts as a speaker)
Digitech Gnx2 (kind of old, but cheap, and sounds amazing!)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 13 2008, 12:20 AM
Instructor
I play both instruments but my skills are way weaker on Piano. Having said this I can play scales , chords, inversions here and there and improvise (chords in the left melody in the right etc).
Here is my take on it :

1) Piano is STRAIGHT LINE(left right) vs Guitar that's ALL OVER THE PLACE (left right down up and everything combined)
2) Piano has one note on a certain place vs Guitar where you have that same note on more places (exact same note that is)
3) Piano has a largest range vs Guitar that has 3 octaves (4 the most if you have 24 frets )
4) Piano has different fingering for every scale and chord vs Guitar where you can instantly move same fingering for scales and chords with no difficulty whatsoever
5) Piano has no bends, slides nor vibrato vs Guitar that has all these and other cool techniques
6) Piano has one sound vs Guitar that has multiple sounds just by changing the place where you play and what your right hand does!

This list can go on and on really but I think this is enough to get you thinking about it smile.gif

Thanks

Pedja

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Oct 13 2008, 12:21 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Oct 13 2008, 09:11 AM
Singing Instructor
Amazing topic.smile.gif
I play a bit of bout,and I can say that for me,piano and guitar neck are two different worlds.I compose one kind of music on piano and I use piano for more theoretical things,because scales are more "reachable" on piano and plus 8 octaves.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Piotr Kaczor
Oct 16 2008, 08:27 AM
Instructor
I've played the piano for a couple of years. I had to do this in music school and university. I've hated piano lessons but later it turned out very helpful. I compose mostly on the piano, but guitar for me is the best instrument to express my emotions.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:12 AM