> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

15 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Phill66's Beginner Book
Phil66
Sep 30 2014, 01:43 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Cosmin,

My vibrato does seem to have slipped a little over my holiday, not that it was brilliant but it does seem to have gone back a couple of steps.

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 1 2014, 09:22 AM
Instructor
Hey Phil - just focus on it while playing and it will come back - it's like riding the bike wink.gif Once you've done it, it's pretty easy to remember smile.gif

Keep me updated and let's see the technique at work in a new take - deal?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 1 2014, 09:41 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 1 2014, 09:22 AM) *
Hey Phil - just focus on it while playing and it will come back - it's like riding the bike wink.gif Once you've done it, it's pretty easy to remember smile.gif

Keep me updated and let's see the technique at work in a new take - deal?

Been concentrating on the Bear open chord 4 lesson tonight, I have bought Guitar Pro 6 and find that a great help, very very regimented and synthetic but it helps me to focus as you can just loop it for infinity blink.gif Been finding new and better ways for my hands to play the C#m and the B in the way Bear plays them.
Practiced vibrato too much last night, got a blister on my third finger sad.gif , I heard that white spirits helps to harden the fingertips?
I understand the riding a bike analogy, I hadn't forgot how to ride the bike but I was wobbling all over the place for the first few miles tongue.gif
Should get some sound files to you tomorrow, did a twelve hour stint at work today and also took wife out for a meal so not much time for me before I need my cot rolleyes.gif

Cheers Cosmin

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 1 2014, 09:49 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 2 2014, 08:52 AM
Instructor
Hey Phil smile.gif

You sound like a man who is WORKING to achieve something - that's VERY good!

Keep things up and send me whatever you have ready first, so that we may take it from there. I can barely wait to start working on my own stuff, as the last two days since I came back from Scotland were hectic with work and all sorts of silly things that had to be taken care of.

Anyway, if you stay focused on a certain thing, even if you aren't physically practicing it for a period, you will find it far easier to get back in line. The only thing is to keep your mind and senses oriented there smile.gif Hope it makes sense?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 2 2014, 09:00 PM
Hello Cosmin,
Ok, been hammering those chords again tonight using GP6 (great tool!) but when I decided to listen/watch to Bear's video it sounds as though he is doing much more strumming than in the GP5 file and also in his TAB. Am I hearing things? Is the backing track confusing my ears?

This blister on my third finger may be a great training tool, in the A minor pentatonic exercise all the vibrato is done when the third finger frets the long note, hence the blister rolleyes.gif I've been playing it again tonight and it has forced my middle finger to come in to help the third, I have to say, it does give more control smile.gif Just got to make a habit of it. There is blood on my fretboard now, don't know if I'll be able to do anything tomorrow, maybe read that theory stuff you gave me to read cool.gif

I'm still struggling with Let It Be, I think the problem I have personally is the instruments aren't the same, ie, vocal and guitar making it hard for me, at the moment, to find the notes, I read this today http://www.easyeartraining.com/faqs/how-ca...inging-in-tune/ and I also think my audiation needs a lot of work as I struggle to get the sound in my head, I have ordered one of these hoping it will help as I only have a 6 string tuner at the moment. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Korg-TM-50BK-Tuner...n/dp/B00923H7MA

What do you think?

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 3 2014, 02:16 PM
Instructor
Hey Phil - about the tuner thing smile.gif It's pretty much the same thing I suggested above in the ear training exercise wink.gif It just doesn't involve the guitar biggrin.gif Choose which one you like, they are both similar - but it's far better to have your ears acquainted to the tuner.

About Bear's lesson - let's see a recording first so that I can compare what's going on in there - usually, it's best to stick to what the video shows. That's why the slowed down videos always come in handy and the tabs are more confusing biggrin.gif I have a theory about tabs, but I think I am the only one tongue.gif I think tabs only help out with positions and that's that, as they don't show you anything about when and for how long a note, chord or phrase is played.

So, it's best to see how you are playing it so far and in comparison to the vids I can see what modifications should be done, ok?

About the middle finger biggrin.gif Well, that little dude is ALWAYS helpful - it's very well that you discovered this on your own and that you are slowly starting to use it. You will see that when you are bending, the middle finger will come in extremely handy and increase the power already generated by your wrist. Check out the video below:

Have I shown you this one before? I can't remember exactly, but since I think it emphasizes the idea very well, I'll stick it here one more time wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 3 2014, 09:20 PM
Hello Cosmin,

I guess I am used to TAB but the ones I have used in the past have shown the strumming pattern using symbols like this.

Maybe this would help students but I guess working it out for yourself is better in the long run wink.gif

I do like to use GP6 to learn the chords to start off, that does help me as I'm only concentrating on one thing, ie, getting the chord shape into my fingers and playing it on the first beat of the bar, this eventually builds and you can play along with the GP6 file and then you start to relax and somehow your fingers automatically find "easier" positions. Then I switch to the video.

Need to rest my finger tonight, it's very very tender on the blister which has now burst, hopefully by tomorrow night I will be able to record something, I might even put some super glue over the area to get me through a couple of takes.

Need to reformat my hard drive and re-install Win7 so might as well take this opportunity.

Cheers Cosmin.

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 3 2014, 09:30 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 4 2014, 07:54 AM
Instructor
Hey Phil smile.gif Most people want instant gratification - that's a known fact. Nowadays, everyone wants things to occur NOW, not later and they don't really care for true development. They all say they want to be great, but they never take the time to really do what they need to do in order to achieve that. Tabs are useful but they shouldn't become a crutch - that's my opinion at least.

When you are a beginner and your senses aren't that well developed, it's only normal to look out for support all the time, but when you have gathered enough experience and you are still using tabs out of commodity, well, that's when the real issue appears.

The symbols can be used in the tab, but usually when you have a guy in front of you showing you slowly how it's done, you can just watch him do it until you understand the hand motions. Imagine that it's something that you have to mimic - when you use tabs, you have to figure out strumming and positions based on numbers. When you are looking at a person you only have to do what that person does. The thing which would help here indeed - in the video I mean - would be a metronome click behind the strumming pattern when Bear plays slowly, so that you would have a rhythmic landmark.

Now, let's see a recording and we'll take it form there - deal? Trust me, when you will have developed an ear to pick up these strumming patterns, you will be MUCH stronger and confident in general!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 5 2014, 10:56 PM
I understand what you are saying, BUT, I still think GP6 is good to get the chords under your fingers, before you attempt the rhythm, I hope you understand.

Cheers

Phil tongue.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 6 2014, 07:58 AM
Instructor
If you are referring at learning the positions, yes, it is useful, but not for what the right hand does. For me at least, it's natural to split the left hand and right hand actions and then put them back together like this:

- left hand - learn the positions and the amount of time that a chord lasts (i.e. each chord change occurs on beat 1 and 3)
- practice with a metronome by counting the beats and executing the chord changes as clean and in good timing as possible. Mark the changes with one right hand strum.
- right hand - mute the strings with your left hand and practice the strumming patterns with your right hand without focusing on the changes. Learn the groove and start feeling it, by practicing as described above against the metronome. Tap your foot to the beat and focus on understanding where beat 1 occurs all the time.
- both hands: put left and right together after you have become acquainted and used to each drill above - you will feel much more confident for certain. Hope this makes sense wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 6 2014, 12:23 PM
Yes Cosmin,

That's usually what I do, learn the left hand, then get the rhythm in my right then try to combine the two.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 6 2014, 08:03 PM
Ok, this is painful to watch and is my first real try at matching notes with my voice, I will do this using A minor full scale next time.
I know it's terrible but any pointers will help.
Thanks Cosmin

unsure.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 6 2014, 08:44 PM
Hello Cosmin,

Another go at the A Minor lesson. Finger is almost healed now, little bit of pain but I wanted to have a go rolleyes.gif

Bought a guitar stool which I have found much better than my leather office chair, I got one of these http://www.jhs.co.uk/New%20Products/kinsmandualstool.html

[attachment=39150:Bear_A_M...06102014.wav]

Personally I think the vibrato still needs work, particularly on the pitch but I wanted to get something to you wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 6 2014, 08:46 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 7 2014, 03:51 PM
Instructor
VERY GOOD!

Dude, it's amazing that you started doing this! It will make you hear ants speaking biggrin.gif

You see, when you are in low pitch, it's a bit harder to nail the notes, but once you go higher there were moments when you got close from the first time wink.gif The one pointer that I can give you is not to give up - you are on the right path and if you keep doing this drill 10 minutes each day, you will definitely see progress! Congratulations once again for this choice!

Thanks for the recording, matey! Ithink that chair is very good for you - an office chair is too comfy in the bad way and this one will teach you how to sit with your back straight - please check yourself from 5 to 5 minutes - posture is very important for your health!

I have listened to the recording and the vibrato is much more present than before, but it needs to be closer to the intended pitch, so please try to focus on this aspect, deal? Playing along with the original recording will help you a lot and you can stay focused on the vibrato as otherwise I see no other issues.

Keep rocking and keep me updated!!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Oct 7 2014, 03:51 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 12 2014, 09:11 PM
Hello Cosmin,

Video tomorrow for sure, don't seem to have had a minute to myself this past week, maximum of one hour in total for ear training and guitar. Everything should be back to normal now though. Still struggling to get motivated with the current chord lesson for some reason, it just isn't floating my boat rolleyes.gif . Ear training; given the time I've spent, is getting better, I am hitting the notes more regularly and currently finding the lower notes easier. One thing I do find odd, I only know it is correct because the tuner tells me it is correct, not because my brain tells me.

Feeling that my guitar playing ambitions are a bit of a lost cause at the moment with life/work taking over but I'm looking at it as a long pit stop and it's time to get back on track.

I'm pretty confident that I'll get a pass in REC with the A Minor thing, just so long as i don't get rec button syndrome laugh.gif

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 13 2014, 09:11 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 13 2014, 08:46 AM
Instructor
Hey Phil!

Yeah mate, I know how life is usually laughing at our plans, but indeed, you mustn't back off, by all means, go ahead and surpass the difficult period so that you can get back to your regular practicing routine smile.gif

About the ears, well, your brain isn't yet familiar with the notes and the pitches so it will take some time until you feel that the notes ring in your head and you can reproduce them at will, with your voice even. That would actually be a great achievement, even if it will take some time to reach.

For instance, I was in the railstation in Budapest last evening and I was pretty bored. At one point, there was that silly theme sound that you can hear in every railway station and I learned to sing it and then tried to figure out the intervals. It was D# G# A# G# - I had this cool app on my phone - G Strings - which is actually a tuner and it told me what notes they were, but using theory I came to realise the connection between them and I was happy and my boredom flew away. You can play around with music without a guitar at any time, but all you have to do is go past your pre-conceptions and not care if it doesn't come out perfect. It will eventually, if you work hard enough wink.gif

Keep me updated on the progress mate!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 13 2014, 09:21 PM
Hello Cosmin,

As promised here is a video, I have noticed that my vibrato isn't brilliant, I think some of the reason is my new stool, it is almost like standing as i can't rest the guitar on my knee, not that I want to but I have noticed the guitar moves a lot and counteracts the movement of my hand. More practice I guess, it is much better when I sit in my comfy office chair as the guitar is locked into my body.

Anyway let me know your thoughts please.

Cheers

Phil

P.S I need a kick up the arse with the chord lesson, it's just not drawing me in for some reason rolleyes.gif I'll get back to it tomorrow evening. I am currently starting every session with ear training for 10-15 minutes, just the A Minor scale at the moment.

For some reason the video image is distorted on this forum but if you click the youtube link on the player it looks better in there, maybe just my computer?

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 14 2014, 03:19 PM
Instructor
Hey Phil!

This take sounds good to me, man! Aside a little muffled note, around 0:27, I think this can go in the REC zone smile.gif What do you think? The timing is good, you played clean and the vibrato is nice as well - large and rounded.

About the chair - I think a stool that would allow you to sit with your legs bent at 90 degrees would be perfect - the office chair sounds like it's a bit too comfy biggrin.gif If it has handles, even nastier smile.gif For my taste at least wink.gif

Now, if you don't fancy the chord lesson, we can find another one, which exercises the same aspects but which seems appealing to you, musically - let me know if you would like that and we can go for it, deal?

Good progress here!! Let's keep rocking, ok?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 14 2014, 03:29 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 14 2014, 03:19 PM) *
Hey Phil!

This take sounds good to me, man! Aside a little muffled note, around 0:27, I think this can go in the REC zone smile.gif What do you think? The timing is good, you played clean and the vibrato is nice as well - large and rounded.

About the chair - I think a stool that would allow you to sit with your legs bent at 90 degrees would be perfect - the office chair sounds like it's a bit too comfy biggrin.gif If it has handles, even nastier smile.gif For my taste at least wink.gif

Now, if you don't fancy the chord lesson, we can find another one, which exercises the same aspects but which seems appealing to you, musically - let me know if you would like that and we can go for it, deal?

Good progress here!! Let's keep rocking, ok?

Cosmin

Thanks Cosmin,

I'll put it on REC. Every take I do has a small error somewhere so I pick the best, hey mate, I even seen the mighty Satch make a mistake tongue.gif

Maybe we could try a different chord lesson, I can always come back to this one, I really can't put my finger on what it is that isn't grabbing me.

As that is going on REC tonight, can you give me my next scale related challenge please, if the REC fails I can still go back to it but sometimes it can take a week to get the votes in wink.gif

Cheers buddy

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 14 2014, 07:31 PM
Instructor
Howdy Phil, since you are asking so nicely smile.gif Let's try this chord lesson for a change - it has a different approach and a few open chords which sound amazingly nice: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Acoustic-Down-Strumming/

Le me know if you like it and about the lead oriented one, let's try this one here:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...-Beginner-Solo/

... it deals with vibrato and some bends which will will take things to the next level for ya wink.gif In the mean time I'll go grade ya!

What do you think?

Cosmin

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 14 2014, 02:29 PM) *
Thanks Cosmin,

I'll put it on REC. Every take I do has a small error somewhere so I pick the best, hey mate, I even seen the mighty Satch make a mistake tongue.gif

Maybe we could try a different chord lesson, I can always come back to this one, I really can't put my finger on what it is that isn't grabbing me.

As that is going on REC tonight, can you give me my next scale related challenge please, if the REC fails I can still go back to it but sometimes it can take a week to get the votes in wink.gif

Cheers buddy

Phil

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Oct 14 2014, 07:31 PM

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:19 PM