Cleaning And Strings
vdcraats
Mar 13 2012, 09:48 AM
GMC:er
Hi there,

I was thinking about cleaning my guitar and maby replacing my strings.

I have a Ibanez RG350DXZ white with a floyd rose.

What cleaning spray do I need for the neck, body , strings.
Is this any good. I saw this in a guitar shop
- GHS fast fret

And what strings dow i need ?
I was thinking about these
- D'addario EXL 120 string set electric, super light, 009-011-016-024-032-042

How do you guys clean your guitar and choose your strings ?

- Arthur -

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Mar 13 2012, 09:59 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
That is a good string choice. My cleaning agents of choice are

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories...425269000000000

Everytime.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 13 2012, 11:16 AM
Instructor
I don't clean my strings with anything else than a soft cloth, as I am using Elixir strings which are coated and the corrosion doesn't get to them almost at all.

When I used to play floyds, I took all the mechanism off from the guitar and let it dip in a bath of break liquid? I don't really know if this is the term in English, but it worked all the time and it cleaned them thoroughly.

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Mar 13 2012, 11:30 AM
Learning Rock Star
Im thinking of getting green Dr Neon string which are coated(?) and will last longer..
They will also look awesome on my green guitar biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Mar 13 2012, 02:06 PM
QUOTE (vdcraats @ Mar 13 2012, 04:48 AM) *
Hi there,

I was thinking about cleaning my guitar and maby replacing my strings.

I have a Ibanez RG350DXZ white with a floyd rose.

What cleaning spray do I need for the neck, body , strings.
Is this any good. I saw this in a guitar shop
- GHS fast fret

And what strings dow i need ?
I was thinking about these
- D'addario EXL 120 string set electric, super light, 009-011-016-024-032-042

How do you guys clean your guitar and choose your strings ?

- Arthur -

If you like the strings that are already on in then just stick with them, no harm in changing something your use to using. I want to try the new Ernie Ball Cobalt series strings. I think they are coated and cost a little bit more than the standard set.

QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Mar 13 2012, 04:59 AM) *
That is a good string choice. My cleaning agents of choice are

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories...425269000000000

Everytime.

I use the 3 bottle set, guitar/string polish and lemon oil. Works great on my Gibsons, not sure what to use on my Loomis thats safe.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 13 2012, 06:16 AM) *
I don't clean my strings with anything else than a soft cloth, as I am using Elixir strings which are coated and the corrosion doesn't get to them almost at all.

When I used to play floyds, I took all the mechanism off from the guitar and let it dip in a bath of break liquid? I don't really know if this is the term in English, but it worked all the time and it cleaned them thoroughly.

Or let it sit in some coca-cola! laugh.gif I think its break cleaneris the term you are speaking of in English. I haven't used Elixirs in years, I should pick up a set for my Gibsons since I play them less so it will look cleaner longer.

QUOTE (ElHombre @ Mar 13 2012, 06:30 AM) *
Im thinking of getting green Dr Neon string which are coated(?) and will last longer..
They will also look awesome on my green guitar biggrin.gif

Have you used the Dr Neon strings yet? I played on one of the Ibanez RG1XXV it was hot pink with matching strings. The strings felt sort of sticky from the coating.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
vdcraats
Mar 13 2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks guys,

I found a shop here in the Netherlands who sells Dunlop 65 guitar cleaning

It's kind of expensive but it's amost my bithday so now I have something to ask for biggrin.gif

I found out the string on my Ibanez are D'addario EXL 120 straight from the Ibanez factory.
They play great so I will buy the same strings.

- Arthur -

+Quote Post
derper
Mar 13 2012, 08:21 PM
Learning Tone Master
I've used Ernie Ball regular slinky's for years. Every time I switch, they break quickly. I play out, and practice too much to play something that won't last. If between gigs, I'll wipe some grime off the top 3 unwound strings with windex and a rag. But by then, I can feel the "fret grooves" left in the strings from rocking too hard! Oh well, it'll work for practice and save me money. I play at least 1-2 gigs a month, so I just change strings a day before the gig for fresh tone.

To clean the guitar, rag and windex. Maybe a q-tip for "detailing". I expect my guitars to get some "character" with me, so I don't go crazy on keeping it clean and fresh. It's a pity....my Parker was in PERFECT condition when I bought it 9 months ago, especially for a 1997.

I would try coated strings, but again, I feel that even if they last longer corrosion-wise, they would be dead with fret wear quickly....thus they would be too expensive month per month.

Oh, do you guys mean "Brake Cleaner"? Like the stuff used on car/auto brakes? I bet Carburator Cleaner would work too. Hardcore stuff!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 13 2012, 09:06 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I used fast fret in the past, but not anymore. It didn't prevent rust, which is what killed my strings in a couple weeks.

Instead I now use elixir strings, and I they last literally forever. I change them after a few months just in case but they are shiny as new, always. All I do is wipe them with a cloth after playing, and I'm not even sure why, because I'm sure they would be 100% fine anyway.

I loveeeeee elixirs.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 14 2012, 08:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Mar 13 2012, 07:21 PM) *
Oh, do you guys mean "Brake Cleaner"? Like the stuff used on car/auto brakes? I bet Carburator Cleaner would work too. Hardcore stuff!

Yeah man biggrin.gif that thing biggrin.gif sounds very DIY, right?

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Mar 14 2012, 10:11 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Actually, Naptha(lighter fluid) is what every luthier I know uses on metal parts. It helps lubricate them as well as keep them "healthy". The lighter fluid seeps into the pores of them metal and keeps it invigorated. It is also amazing at preventing rust.

As far as strings are concerned, I am switching all of my guitars to Thomastik Infeld. All of my favourite musicians use them, so why not? I dislike Elixirs and other coated strings because I really hate the feel of them. I would rather replace my strings once every 6-12 weeks.

Every book I have on DIY guitar repairs also suggests lighter fluid. A little goes a LONG way.

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 14 2012, 11:08 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I'm a fan of fast fret. I used to change bass strings regularly until I figured out a "trick" with fast fret :
put it on the strings in the evening and do not wipe any excess off + let it settle till the morning. In the morning strings sound fresh + they don't feel "greasy" from the fast fret.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:24 PM