> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Socky42's Cover Ups
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 5 2014, 08:54 PM
Instructor
Hey bro wink.gif We can work here, as we discussed in the mail - since you decided on the LP tune, let's see what sort of changes you would like to apply in order to make it your own. As I said, this will not be easy, since it's already a rock tune smile.gif Let me know what you have in mind smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Socky42
Aug 5 2014, 09:47 PM
GMC:er

https://soundcloud.com/socky42/lp-rhythm-test

This is what I have so far, just the main structure; you're gonna have to imagine the lead and vocal melody for now. laugh.gif
So you can follow along a bit easier - up to the chorus, it's the structure is same as the original.

Intro - 0:00 to 0:22 - Not sure if I like the riff yet, don't think it leads into the verse well enough. Might just copy the original and keep it simple, lemme know what you think.

Verse - 0:22 to 0:30 - Gonna add the vocal melody on top.

Solo 1 - 0:30 to 0:39 - See the guitar pro file, might have to move the toms a bit to fit the solo more. I like the 'jumpy' feel i've got going.

Pre Chorus - 0:39 to 0:52 - Again, just vocal melody on top; maybe i'll add some lead 'build up' in the background.

Chorus - 0:52 to 1:09 - Think the riff sounds good and in my head the melody fits; i'll add slides and stuff to make the melody more interesting.

Bridge - 1:09 to 1:29 - Skip to 2:02 in the video. There's gonna be a scale run to lead into the solo at the end of this part. Cut out the second verse and chorus, don't think anyone will want to listen to those parts again. laugh.gif

Main Solo - 1:29 to 1:47 - Probably won't show you this part when it's done unless I really need help; leave it a surprise. What I have so far sounds great though.

Rest of it is just the chorus again then the outro.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 6 2014, 07:38 AM
Instructor
Hey bro! Everything is GREAT!

There are two things coming to my mind right now wink.gif

In the chorus part - that little intervention at about 0:58 clashes with the main vocal line - I know the song very well and I sang over. You might need to change that one to fit the vocal line smile.gif

You will need vocals - do you have anyone to record for ya?

I haven't yet gotten a chance to listen to the GP file as I am on my laptop now - in a few hours I'll get to the studio PC where I have the GP installed and will send my impressions on the solo - the composition, anyway, because in order to hear it properly, you need to record it biggrin.gif GP has nothing to do with expression and articulation, as you know very well smile.gif

All in all - good job so far and I like the intro riff - to be frank, I wouldn't change that one at all.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 6 2014, 09:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Aug 5 2014, 08:47 PM) *

https://soundcloud.com/socky42/lp-rhythm-test

This is what I have so far, just the main structure; you're gonna have to imagine the lead and vocal melody for now. laugh.gif
So you can follow along a bit easier - up to the chorus, it's the structure is same as the original.

Intro - 0:00 to 0:22 - Not sure if I like the riff yet, don't think it leads into the verse well enough. Might just copy the original and keep it simple, lemme know what you think.

Verse - 0:22 to 0:30 - Gonna add the vocal melody on top.

Solo 1 - 0:30 to 0:39 - See the guitar pro file, might have to move the toms a bit to fit the solo more. I like the 'jumpy' feel i've got going.

Pre Chorus - 0:39 to 0:52 - Again, just vocal melody on top; maybe i'll add some lead 'build up' in the background.

Chorus - 0:52 to 1:09 - Think the riff sounds good and in my head the melody fits; i'll add slides and stuff to make the melody more interesting.

Bridge - 1:09 to 1:29 - Skip to 2:02 in the video. There's gonna be a scale run to lead into the solo at the end of this part. Cut out the second verse and chorus, don't think anyone will want to listen to those parts again. laugh.gif

Main Solo - 1:29 to 1:47 - Probably won't show you this part when it's done unless I really need help; leave it a surprise. What I have so far sounds great though.

Rest of it is just the chorus again then the outro.

Just listened to the solo!

I like the note choice and the phrasing, as much as the GP allows me to imagine it in my head wink.gif Now, I'd loove to hear it played by you, so that I may hear the expression factor as well! I'd slide the last note downwards, in order to smoothly transition to the next part - just an idea wink.gif

What do you think?

+Quote Post
Socky42
Aug 6 2014, 09:25 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 6 2014, 07:38 AM) *
Hey bro! Everything is GREAT!

In the chorus part - that little intervention at about 0:58 clashes with the main vocal line - I know the song very well and I sang over. You might need to change that one to fit the vocal line smile.gif

You will need vocals - do you have anyone to record for ya?

Good to know there aren't any major problems with what I have. laugh.gif

I'm going to be playing the vocal melody with lead guitar. For the chorus, i'll try changing the rhythm of the vocal line first, maybe add a lead fill or something. Should have a rough recording later today with the first solo and vocal stuff in.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 7 2014, 08:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Aug 6 2014, 08:25 AM) *
Good to know there aren't any major problems with what I have. laugh.gif

I'm going to be playing the vocal melody with lead guitar. For the chorus, i'll try changing the rhythm of the vocal line first, maybe add a lead fill or something. Should have a rough recording later today with the first solo and vocal stuff in.

Alrightie then wink.gif Show me what you've got - now, I was thinking about not adding the second verse and bridge - why not add them and re-orchestrate in a whole different manner. I was thinking of something more atmospheric, that could TOTALLY break out of the metal line, just to add diversity and a surprise factor. In this way, the listener's ear will be kept active throughout the tune smile.gif

What do you think? Especially that you want to play the vocal line with the guitar and thus, you could develop variations on the vocal line in the contexts of the two differently orchestrated verse and bridge parts.

+Quote Post
Socky42
Aug 7 2014, 08:17 PM
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/lp-test

Sorry for the sloppy playing, i'll re-record when i'm happy with the arrangement. I know you're not supposed to think about the mix at this stage, but when I started recording I got the feeling that some parts weren't gonna work. And I've recorded enough stuff with my gear to know when I can 'fix' something in post production or not.

Maybe my ears are just tired and i'm overthinking it. laugh.gif

Does it sound weird when I first go from the vocal line into the solo? I took out the rhythm guitars and added the harmonic fade-in to try and make the transition a bit more defined, still sounds a bit off to me.

About the second verse etc., I looked at my youtube analytics and the thing is, most people don't watch more than 2 minutes of my videos. That's why I cut so much out of the song and why it's going from each part so quickly. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 8 2014, 07:22 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif

About that solo... yeah, it's a bit off, because you are starting to tell a story and suddenly, you get to the part where the Prince is drawing the sword, before telling the people why he got to do that in the first place biggrin.gif It may seem like a silly analogy, but, you are starting to lay down the vocal line and suddenly BANG! a solo out of nowhere smile.gif

Music, even in its quirkiest of forms, has to have a flow and a natural occurrence as a structure - maybe I'm too old fashioned, but I don't know if that solo is really a good idea over there smile.gif What do you think?

+Quote Post
Socky42
Aug 8 2014, 09:10 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 8 2014, 07:22 AM) *
Hey mate smile.gif

About that solo... yeah, it's a bit off, because you are starting to tell a story and suddenly, you get to the part where the Prince is drawing the sword, before telling the people why he got to do that in the first place biggrin.gif It may seem like a silly analogy, but, you are starting to lay down the vocal line and suddenly BANG! a solo out of nowhere smile.gif

Music, even in its quirkiest of forms, has to have a flow and a natural occurrence as a structure - maybe I'm too old fashioned, but I don't know if that solo is really a good idea over there smile.gif What do you think?

Thanks man,

I'll try extending that vocal part to the original 8 bars first, add some resolution to the part instead of cutting straight into a solo; because I like the way the solo goes into the 'rapping' pre-chorus.

This post has been edited by Socky42: Aug 9 2014, 04:17 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 9 2014, 03:25 PM
Instructor
Extending the vocal part sure sounds like a good idea!

You need to create smooth transitions among the parts, in order to have a solid cover of this song - I will most probably be extra picky, because I love the original version wink.gif But I like what you did so far - as long as you keep the flow, there's nothing that can go wrong with it!

Let's see the new verse+ solo version!

+Quote Post
Socky42
Aug 9 2014, 04:07 PM
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/lp-test-2

Almost got it, just have to work on the ending phrase a bit more. Here's two different takes to listen to. Not sure if i'm ending on a good note or not for either one. I think the 2nd one sounds better; in my head I hear the note move down like in the first take, but I don't think it sounds right.

This post has been edited by Socky42: Aug 9 2014, 04:26 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 10 2014, 10:31 PM
Instructor
Hey mate - it sounds good to me, although it's different from what Chester is doing on the vocal line wink.gif

You are missing a few notes - is that deliberate, or it wasn't on purpose?

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Aug 10 2014, 10:31 PM

+Quote Post
Socky42
Aug 12 2014, 03:38 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 10 2014, 10:31 PM) *
Hey mate - it sounds good to me, although it's different from what Chester is doing on the vocal line wink.gif

You are missing a few notes - is that deliberate, or it wasn't on purpose?

Yeah, it was deliberate.

https://soundcloud.com/socky42/lp-dry-chorus-bridge

Here's the chorus and bridge. Took out all the effects and stuff for now, they were slowing down my computer too much. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 14 2014, 12:00 PM
Instructor
Howdy mate!

Just listened an I think it sounds melodic and very nice into the context so far!

Two things I had in mind:

- around 0:06 there's an interval which sounds a bit weird - are you playing some chromatic notes there?
- I would spice up the bridge with some short but more guitar oriented licks, to create some flashiness between the long notes

Of course, these are my thoughts, what do you think?

QUOTE (Socky42 @ Aug 12 2014, 02:38 PM) *
Yeah, it was deliberate.

https://soundcloud.com/socky42/lp-dry-chorus-bridge

Here's the chorus and bridge. Took out all the effects and stuff for now, they were slowing down my computer too much. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Socky42
Aug 15 2014, 02:49 AM
Sorry, I'd love to make the bridge more interesting, but i'm having a really hard time fitting lead guitar into the mix; so i've been focusing on that. I had a lead build-up to the solo at 1:18 but it wasn't working out. laugh.gif

https://soundcloud.com/socky42/lp-test-3

edit: And the chorus bit, sounds like this solo'd. Rhythm is doing chromatic and lead is playing the melody. Maybe it's because i've been listening to it all week, but I think it sounds okay. biggrin.gif

https://soundcloud.com/socky42/lp-chorus

This post has been edited by Socky42: Aug 15 2014, 02:55 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 16 2014, 07:17 AM
Instructor
Hey mate!

Love the little build up phrase! It's melodic and it seems to fit nicely! I also love the way in which you have arranged the guitars and drums at 0:30 for instance - it's the sort of arrangement and riffing you would hear in old Lostprophets tunes!

About that chromaticism, well, if it suits your tastes, then go for it smile.gif I am not that big a fan, but I guess it could work as a special addition to the song wink.gif

So, is the video next? smile.gif You are very creative dude! I like that A LOT!

QUOTE (Socky42 @ Aug 15 2014, 01:49 AM) *
Sorry, I'd love to make the bridge more interesting, but i'm having a really hard time fitting lead guitar into the mix; so i've been focusing on that. I had a lead build-up to the solo at 1:18 but it wasn't working out. laugh.gif

https://soundcloud.com/socky42/lp-test-3

edit: And the chorus bit, sounds like this solo'd. Rhythm is doing chromatic and lead is playing the melody. Maybe it's because i've been listening to it all week, but I think it sounds okay. biggrin.gif

https://soundcloud.com/socky42/lp-chorus

+Quote Post
Socky42
Aug 16 2014, 01:00 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 16 2014, 07:17 AM) *
Hey mate!

Love the little build up phrase! It's melodic and it seems to fit nicely! I also love the way in which you have arranged the guitars and drums at 0:30 for instance - it's the sort of arrangement and riffing you would hear in old Lostprophets tunes!

About that chromaticism, well, if it suits your tastes, then go for it smile.gif I am not that big a fan, but I guess it could work as a special addition to the song wink.gif

So, is the video next? smile.gif You are very creative dude! I like that A LOT!

Yeah, the video is next. I'm going on holiday tomorrow for a month. Thought I could finish it in the time I had left, but at least I got the arrangement and most of the mix down. biggrin.gif

I'm back on September 17th, so it should be done a couple days after that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 17 2014, 10:58 AM
Instructor
Oh, alright mate, well, I think it's far better not to rush it, because it's tedious work and it would be a shame not to make it look as great as it sounds biggrin.gif

Where are you going on holiday?

+Quote Post
Socky42
Aug 17 2014, 11:48 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 17 2014, 10:58 AM) *
Oh, alright mate, well, I think it's far better not to rush it, because it's tedious work and it would be a shame not to make it look as great as it sounds biggrin.gif

Where are you going on holiday?

I'm going to China, just visiting family.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 18 2014, 07:10 AM
Instructor
Whoa! Amazing! So you are of Chinese descent - your nation has an amazing history and cultural heritage!

I'm a big fan of the Asian culture in general and your philosophy, martial arts and food, just so you know wink.gif Have fun there and keep me posted mate!

QUOTE (Socky42 @ Aug 17 2014, 10:48 AM) *
I'm going to China, just visiting family.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:25 PM