2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Am I Bad ?, Level Difficulty
Manu RASSE
Feb 14 2015, 11:18 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi everybody

I'm french, my english is very rudimentary.
Please, in your reply, try to use simple words.
tongue.gif

The last lesson I learned was Myxolydian & Triads
you can watch my rec here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwddOBFmqVI

Actually, I learn stéphane luccarelli's lesson Jazz Funk licks II
I like this sweet music and I love touch of this great guitarist.

The level difficulty is the same for the 2 lessons : Level 4
I work everyday a little bit to assimilate things slowly.

The sweeping section from 22-28" is very fast.
I work 50% speed, it's ok I play the licks but I'm not sure succed 100%. Wahouuuu ! it's so speed !
The level wouldn't be considered a bit too low ?

Maybe it's me too low ? Am I bad ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 14 2015, 03:03 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hi Mister M - very cool to hear you are working on the Jazz Funk Licks II lesson! smile.gif
My suggestion would be not to worry too much about the lesson difficulty level vs your skills.
The difficulty level indicated on the site doesn't always reflect the difficulty of the lesson in relation to each student individually and it doesn't contain "sub levels" such as 4.3 or 4.5 etc so it is OK that not all lessons of the same level are = in difficulty in reality. I have checked out these two lessons and they are very different technique wise. My guess would be that you are better at expressive, bending playing so you find the Mixolydian Triads lesson easier. Jazz Funk Licks II lesson contains faster chromatic picking runs with a bit of sweeping motion.

I'd suggest isolating only licks which are giving you trouble, you are already on a good path if you can play them 50% of the tempo. Try looping this section and playing it over and over again until it feels more comfortable. Increase speed only gradually, when you feel you are ready. Mastering Jazz Funk Licks II lesson will be a big accomplishment and worth all the practice, that lesson contains some really amazing licks and techniques which you'll be able to use in your own playing later on as well.

Personally, I'd also find Jazz Funk Licks II lesson more difficult to play myself.

Maybe you could post a new topic with section of the lesson which is giving you trouble?
If you could include a video that would be great and we could check your technique to make sure it is optimized.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 14 2015, 05:23 PM
Instructor
Hi MisterM, Bogdan described it perfectly. The difficulty is a bit subjective because depends on the strong and weak skills of each student. This lesson includes Sweep Picking, which from my experience is not most difficult than alternate picking, but it will be if you've never practiced this technique before. So I wouldn't really pay too much attention to level if you are choosing lessons that are around your current one. Off course, you won't want to choose a level 10 lesson right now, but if you choose around your level, it will be ok.

If you are having problems with Sweeps, I can help you, just share a video of you playing and the questions that come to your mind. I'll be happy to help. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Feb 14 2015, 05:24 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Thank you Bogdan

I will isolate licks with guitar rig, I'll work better. Sweeping need a lot of work....
I work sometime : sweep picking lesson shred, it helps me get a better technical.
I progress but I must work again, this lesson will be a little longer but I will keep on rock.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 16 2015, 09:08 PM
QUOTE (MisterM @ Feb 14 2015, 05:24 PM) *
Thank you Bogdan

I will isolate licks with guitar rig, I'll work better. Sweeping need a lot of work....
I work sometime : sweep picking lesson shred, it helps me get a better technical.
I progress but I must work again, this lesson will be a little longer but I will keep on rock.

That is the spirit MisterM! smile.gif

I think you should keep working on that lesson but not get hang up on it exclusively.
Maybe try focusing on some other, more doable lessons in the meantime, while you are working on your chops needed for the Jazz Funk Licks lesson. This will help you avoid getting "stuck" and keep you motivated.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Feb 17 2015, 06:53 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Bogdan

yes I 'm working some lesson, open string, funk, blues, jazz, and I work everyday my "little wing" with my stratocaster....
Everyday I play a little bit and I alternate the lessons to keep motivation.......
I recorded a video 80% speed, it is not very clean but I progress day by day.....

If you have tips , maybe I can make further progress.
I try to inspire me right hand stephane attitudes .
It has very relaxed hand , it helps me to adopt the right way to work.

My wife is not always happy , I play 4 hours per day .
I hope to make up the time I lost those 20 years.
Tonight I stop training, my fingers are sore tongue.gif

This post has been edited by MisterM: Feb 17 2015, 07:00 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 17 2015, 07:16 PM
Hey - this video was really cool! smile.gif You have captured a very similar tone to Stephane's in the lesson which is great.
Also, I think you are getting down the vibe of the solo and dynamics. My suggestion would be to focus a bit more on the details such as which notes are played softer, which are ringing out etc as that will take your playing even further. For example ending note at 0:31 in the YT video is played a bit softer in the lesson for a smoother ending of the run. As you mentioned, try getting all the notes to sound clean, pay attention not to block/mute the string unintentionally (for example in the 0:16 run where there are slides on B string with the top notes played on the high E string).

I get a feeling that legato (hammer-on/pull-off) runs are slightly slowing you down. It might be a good workout just to practice a lesson which focuses on legato as this will get your left hand stronger when executing hammer-on/pull-offs runs. Here is cool lesson focusing on the legato technique: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/

My suggestion would be to stay on this tempo a bit more, until you get the licks and details under control and then it should be relatively easier to speed up once comfortable with the licks and techniques required.

Keep us posted with your progress! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Feb 17 2015, 08:27 PM
Veteran Tone Master
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 14 2015, 05:23 PM) *
Hi MisterM, Bogdan described it perfectly. The difficulty is a bit subjective because depends on the strong and weak skills of each student. This lesson includes Sweep Picking, which from my experience is not most difficult than alternate picking, but it will be if you've never practiced this technique before. So I wouldn't really pay too much attention to level if you are choosing lessons that are around your current one. Off course, you won't want to choose a level 10 lesson right now, but if you choose around your level, it will be ok.

If you are having problems with Sweeps, I can help you, just share a video of you playing and the questions that come to your mind. I'll be happy to help. wink.gif

Hi Gab

Sorry, I didn't see your message.
Thank you, it seemed strange to me to pass level 5 and have difficulty on a level 4....
Now I understood, the level doesn't include all the technical.

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Feb 17 2015, 07:16 PM) *
Hey - this video was really cool! smile.gif You have captured a very similar tone to Stephane's in the lesson which is great.
Also, I think you are getting down the vibe of the solo and dynamics. My suggestion would be to focus a bit more on the details such as which notes are played softer, which are ringing out etc as that will take your playing even further. For example ending note at 0:31 in the YT video is played a bit softer in the lesson for a smoother ending of the run. As you mentioned, try getting all the notes to sound clean, pay attention not to block/mute the string unintentionally (for example in the 0:16 run where there are slides on B string with the top notes played on the high E string).

I get a feeling that legato (hammer-on/pull-off) runs are slightly slowing you down. It might be a good workout just to practice a lesson which focuses on legato as this will get your left hand stronger when executing hammer-on/pull-offs runs. Here is cool lesson focusing on the legato technique: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/

My suggestion would be to stay on this tempo a bit more, until you get the licks and details under control and then it should be relatively easier to speed up once comfortable with the licks and techniques required.

Keep us posted with your progress! smile.gif

Thank you, I begin to know guitar rig soft . Simplicity is often the best way to get a good tone.
my dynamic is improving slowly, I listen to a lot before playing the licks.

I watched the video I saw the flaws and I agree with you that I will work on the lesson legato
i will stay on the same bit, when I feel I will go a little faster

Thany you for advice

This post has been edited by MisterM: Feb 17 2015, 08:36 PM

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Feb 20 2015, 08:10 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi

Thank you

You have found a weakness, my hand is not strong enough for legato.
I work, I try to keep a good poisition with my hand, it's not easy.

biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 20 2015, 11:36 AM
QUOTE (MisterM @ Feb 20 2015, 08:10 AM) *
Hi

Thank you

You have found a weakness, my hand is not strong enough for legato.
I work, I try to keep a good poisition with my hand, it's not easy.

biggrin.gif

Thanks for the update MisterM and it is good to hear that you think practicing legato is beneficial.
Legato technique is useful as it focuses on left hand strength and ability to produce (sound) notes without necessarily involving the picking hand. Even if you don't plan to play legato based licks in everyday jamming/playing, you'll find that other "regular" stuff will be easier to play due to trained fretting hand.

Please keep me updated how this is working out and let me know if you need any help along the way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Feb 20 2015, 11:50 AM
Veteran Tone Master
ok Bogdan

I'll update with my take in a few days/weeks according to my progress .
50% speed, i'm not really in time, i must work again.

thank you for advices

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Mar 24 2015, 05:11 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi GMC, HiBogdan,

I do not think the job would be so hard. This is a real working strength and endurance to my left hand,
particulary on pinky and ring fingers.

I work, exercise is better every day . I 'm glad to see that the regularity pay.
At the same time , I work on sweeping . I found this lesson available for my level ...

I think to upload video legato and sweeping in 10 to 15 days because it is not really clean .
The jazz funk licks II lesson also advance, but I still need some time .

Thank you for your advice tongue.gif

This post has been edited by MisterM: Mar 24 2015, 06:06 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 24 2015, 06:06 PM
QUOTE (MisterM @ Mar 24 2015, 05:11 PM) *
Hi GMC, HiBogdan,

I do not think the job would be so hard. This is a real working strength and endurance to my left hand .
I work, exercise is better every day . I 'm glad to see that the regularity pay.
At the same time , I work on sweeping . I found this lesson available for my level ...
I think to upload video legato and sweeping in 10 to 15 days because it is not really clean .

The jazz licks lesson also advance, but I still need some time .

Thank you for your advice tongue.gif

Hey MisterM - great to hear an update from you! smile.gif

It is perfectly fine to work on several things at the time, this will help you not get bored with practicing same thing over and over again. I have checked out that sweeping lesson and I think it is a good choice. It feels doable yet covers technique which will also be useful for you when playing the Jazz licks lesson too.

Please feel free to post your videos here for feedback and keep me updated on your progress.

Keep practicing! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
enlo22
Mar 24 2015, 06:26 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
the video of your take on myxolydian sounded good man, don't worry about speed. It's important but it isn't everything. Don't think that because you can't play fast you're "bad"

--------------------

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Mar 24 2015, 07:46 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Enlo

I have a lot of fun to learn the lessons GMC , but I can not play 100% ...
The lessons use so many techniques ...
The good thing : I understand my weaknesses and I work ...

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Mar 26 2015, 09:16 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi GMC, Hi Bogdan,

This morning I made a take after little warm-up (5 mn).
My hand is a little more relaxed , I tried a video to 100 %.
I look, I listen and the fact is that I have made ​​progress .
Flexibility is not the best and I continue to work on
I'll make ​​a new take in A Few weeks.

What do you think about me ?

Preset used

This post has been edited by MisterM: Mar 26 2015, 11:43 AM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 26 2015, 12:37 PM
Hey MisterM, thanks for sharing the video! smile.gif

Here are some things I'm noticing:

- This tempo is too fast at the moment and might not be beneficial for practice
- I think you might not be picking the notes in sync with your left hand which creates a bit weaker sounded note. If I'm not mistaken, the tendency is to rush with the picking hand and picking before fully fretting the note with the left hand
- Not all notes in the legato licks are played in time
- The sound used to record this video is very nice and similar to Ben's sound in the lesson, good job replicating it

I'd suggest backing off the tempo to 50%-60% of the original tempo and practicing along with a metronome. This technique really requires you to practice it slow as that is the only way to get those hammer-on/pull-off combinations to work and be in time and also adjust your picking hand timing. The goal is to have all the notes to sound even and be played in correct note duration/timing. Since this is an exercise, there is no 100% tempo to strive for but you could set the target tempo for yourself as a goal. Once you have it, start really slow and only go to a higher tempo in 5-10 bpm increments when you feel you have mastered the previous one. Going straight to a fast tempo will lead to literally practicing sloppy playing as it can be hard to hear and spot mistakes at that tempo even though there are. Overall, I think you are almost there with the performance - it just needs polishing up a bit to get it to sound good at the tempo you played it at in this video.

Please shot a video at a slower tempo and post it for reference here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Mar 26 2015, 12:54 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Bogdan thank you for your precious advices.

I 'll make a take 50% speed, I 'll update this afternoon

Guitar Rig 100% = 110 bpm
Guitar Rig 50% speed isn't 55 bpm reality 73 bpm

73 bpm is good for working ?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 26 2015, 01:19 PM
QUOTE (MisterM @ Mar 26 2015, 12:54 PM) *
Hi Bogdan thank you for your precious advices.

I 'll make a take 50% speed, I 'll update this afternoon

Guitar Rig 100% = 110 bpm
Guitar Rig 50% speed isn't 55 bpm reality 73 bpm

73 bpm is good for working ?

73 bpm with 16th notes duration is pretty fast in my opinion.
You could just play this against a metronome beep as it will allow you to go really slow.

For example 50-60 bpm with quarter or 8th notes duration. The goal is to really slow things down to be able to practice and concentrate on the details and each movement.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Mar 26 2015, 03:38 PM
Veteran Tone Master
I work 50 Bpm, it's very hard for my hand and fingers, it's difficult for me to respect beat.

This post has been edited by MisterM: Mar 26 2015, 05:11 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:47 PM